Rodi and booster questions

Hannah2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new Rodi system and I had to get a booster for it too. it is a 6-stage BRS rodi system. I hooked everything up and made water. my only problem is that the pressure gauge was only reading 20 Psi when I thought it was supposed to be higher than that. I have well water and don't know the source water's pressure currently, but I will be buying a gauge to check it. I feel like 20 psi is too low even for shallow water pressure. am I doing something wrong or will the booster only bring it to 20( it is an aquatic life rodi booster too).

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have well water and don't know the source water's pressure currently
Normal well water pressure is regulated by a valve. For a normal house it should be 40 to 60 PSI. The booster should bring that up to 80 to 100. The gauge should be mounted between the booster and your RO canister. How did you tap the pipe for the inlet for the RODI ?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With my well and SpectraPure RODI system, the pressure gauge on the RO housing indicates around 25-30 psi without a booster pump. With the Aquatec 8800 booster pump, I get around 65 psi. I'm currently using 300 gpd RO (piggy back) membranes. When it is time to change, I'll drop back down to 150 gpd membranes as the pressure is a bit low.

That said, you should be getting higher psi than what you state. How is your RODI output compared to waste water? Are you sure you have the correct restriction in place? The Smart Buddy is rated for 50-100gpd systems. What gpd output is your RODI rated?

OP
OP
H

Hannah2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my well and SpectraPure RODI system, the pressure gauge on the RO housing indicates around 25-30 psi without a booster pump. With the Aquatec 8800 booster pump, I get around 65 psi. I'm currently using 300 gpd RO (piggy back) membranes. When it is time to change, I'll drop back down to 150 gpd membranes as the pressure is a bit low.

That said, you should be getting higher psi than what you state. How is your RODI output compared to waste water? Are you sure you have the correct restriction in place? The Smart Buddy is rated for 50-100gpd systems. What gpd output is your RODI rated?
I was reading the directions to use the rodi, it did make water but I don't know the ratio of waste to good water. I'm not sure what the restriction you're talking about is ( I am really new to all this). and my system is a 75 gallon per day one.

OP
OP
H

Hannah2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal well water pressure is regulated by a valve. For a normal house it should be 40 to 60 PSI. The booster should bring that up to 80 to 100. The gauge should be mounted between the booster and your RO canister. How did you tap the pipe for the inlet for the RODI ?
the gauge was already preinstalled on the system I can take a picture to show you where it is at. also what do you mean how did I tap the pipe for the inlet?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water to feed the unit. Is it hooked to your water supply in some way.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

You also have a flush valve. If it is open the pressure will be low . check to see if its shut

OP
OP
H

Hannah2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water to feed the unit. Is it hooked to your water supply in some way.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

You also have a flush valve. If it is open the pressure will be low . check to see if its shut
I took the flush valve off like directions said and also it is like the first picture- on a faucet

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading the directions to use the rodi, it did make water but I don't know the ratio of waste to good water.
The ratio is usually about 1 good to 4 down the drain.
To measure your output use a measuring cup. Time how long it takes to make lets say 16 oz. multiply that by 8 for a gallon. Time x 8 will give your gallons per hour

OP
OP
H

Hannah2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ratio is usually about 1 good to 4 down the drain.
To measure your output use a measuring cup. Time how long it takes to make lets say 16 oz. multiply that by 8 for a gallon. Time x 8 will give your gallons per hour
Ok I will try that.. do you know why the pressure gauge only reads 20 though?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe watch this to learn about flush valves and what they do. The system needs some sort of restriction to force water thru the RO part of the unit and not let it all go down the drain

OP
OP
H

Hannah2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe watch this to learn about flush valves and what they do. The system needs some sort of restriction to force water thru the RO part of the unit and not let it all go down the drain
I thought the rodi booster I bought has a flush valve and that’s why I don’t need it on the rodi

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might have depending on the booster kit you purchased
The pump might have come with this kit

Installation Instructions:

1. Turn off your source water supply.

2. Locate and replace the current flow restrictor with the new Auto Flush Flow Restrictor. On all BRS RODI systems and most others, the flow restrictor will be located behind the membrane and will be a long cylindrical shape.

3. Locate your product water line and place the pressure switch anywhere after the system's auto shut off valve (ASOV), we suggest placing it directly after the ASOV.

4. Connect the Pressure Switch Molex connectors into the Power Supply and also the auto flush flow restrictor.

5. Turn your source water supply on, and do a quick leak check. Once the leak check is complete, you can plug the Aquatec Power Supply into any wall outlet to energize the system.

OP
OP
H

Hannah2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might have depending on the booster kit you purchased
The pump might have come with this kit

Installation Instructions:

1. Turn off your source water supply.

2. Locate and replace the current flow restrictor with the new Auto Flush Flow Restrictor. On all BRS RODI systems and most others, the flow restrictor will be located behind the membrane and will be a long cylindrical shape.

3. Locate your product water line and place the pressure switch anywhere after the system's auto shut off valve (ASOV), we suggest placing it directly after the ASOV.

4. Connect the Pressure Switch Molex connectors into the Power Supply and also the auto flush flow restrictor.

5. Turn your source water supply on, and do a quick leak check. Once the leak check is complete, you can plug the Aquatec Power Supply into any wall outlet to energize the system.
So should I put the flow rrestrictor back on

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a auto flush valve mine is manual. The blue lever. Behind it is the restrictor ( says flow on it )
Flush_valve.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If instructions say remove then remove it.
Im out sorry. I dont know anything about how the smart buddie works.
Having the water go thru a filter before it enters the booster seems a bit strange to me. Maybe someone else has one and can help.
@ReefSquad

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back