Excessive waste water when making RODI water

jreising15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new user getting ready to cycle a 50 gallon FOWLR tank. I’m experienced with freshwater but this is my first marine tank.

My question is regarding the process for making RODI water and how much waste water is produced. I’d say I’m producing about 9 gallons of waste water for every gallon of product water.

I’m using a 5-stage RODI system from Bulk Reef Supply. This is the water-saver model with 2 membranes. My water pressure is a problem, it hovers around 55 PSI, and this is with the booster pump running.

I’m looking for ideas on how to reduce the amount of waste water. I hate that so much water is going right down the drain. Thanks for any helpful ideas.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20240313-145723.png

Upvote 0

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ratio you’re looking for is about 4 to 1, waste/product. Make sure your flow restrict matches the gpd of your membrane, and if your water source psi at the input is too low it no workie good
Apologies. Thought you had a typical single membrane system. I skimmed your original post and don’t want to post bad info. On a 2 membrane system you’re looking for 1.5-2 to one ratio.

Upvote 0

Illwelder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new user getting ready to cycle a 50 gallon FOWLR tank. I’m experienced with freshwater but this is my first marine tank.

My question is regarding the process for making RODI water and how much waste water is produced. I’d say I’m producing about 9 gallons of waste water for every gallon of product water.

I’m using a 5-stage RODI system from Bulk Reef Supply. This is the water-saver model with 2 membranes. My water pressure is a problem, it hovers around 55 PSI, and this is with the booster pump running.

I’m looking for ideas on how to reduce the amount of waste water. I hate that so much water is going right down the drain. Thanks for any helpful ideas.
Good thing my bill is unlimited

Upvote 0

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 7 stage bars 150g a day running at 75psi and close to 1:1, 2:1 at most. I ran my salt and 18 fresh tanks. I have made over a 100g a week for a couple years now and still have not changed anything except the sediment filter. The water is 1ppm out of ro and 0 out of di. Now my well water is 150 - 160 ppm to start. It is hard enough to ruin glass shower doors fairly quick. Pressure is definitely the key I feel, and having the flush valve right.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back