My new zoas and palys are tacoing.....

OverkillNANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over the last few days I noticed some of my zoas and palys are tacoing “folding in half” while others are doing just fine. The ones that are having the problem are at the top of the tank. The ones that aren’t are at the bottom. And all my other corals are doing just fine.
I noticed this morning the same zoas that had problems were no longer folded .
I feel it’s the light.
I have a kessil tuna blue A160we these said zoas are maybe within 14 inches or so of the light. Well here’s some pictures. Thanks in advance.
B49935A7-B082-4BE6-8181-D6D1408FBB43.jpeg

The lower colony
2BCBB7B7-1631-4577-BF32-3D76BE1E8128.jpeg

Near the middle
4FBE7559-FF5F-434C-9BCB-D89C34BBD693.jpeg

Paly at the top
9B8ACC8E-7837-46E7-8993-98ED13C82313.jpeg

Palys at the very top
44D9DAD3-6287-4869-8DF1-9829C513E7A0.jpeg

Last night
D902F2A9-DFDA-49AC-88D5-DDDE35088DC3.jpeg

This morning after 8.5 hours no light . Same coral

OP
OP
O

OverkillNANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m kinda thinking that too. Too much light .Imma set my controller in a two week acclimation period. And observe. The tank is exactly 2 months old to date . All my other corals are doing good . Except my ricordea

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total disagreement.....they all look fine to me in terms of light acclimation.

The only ones growing towards the light are green implosions, and they are the last palythoa you need to worry about because they'll eventually take over. It's a new tank so nutrients are low, and that's why they are stretching.

OP
OP
O

OverkillNANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total disagreement.....they all look fine to me in terms of light acclimation.

The only ones growing towards the light are green implosions, and they are the last palythoa you need to worry about because they'll eventually take over. It's a new tank so nutrients are low, and that's why they are stretching.
Any advice for a beginner to add nutrients with out causing the ugly . I’m thinking about doing kalkwasser

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients meant nitrate/phosphates, do check for these before thinking of dosing it. Kalwasser is for calcium and alkalinity which is totally different.

OP
OP
O

OverkillNANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I found that guy wrapped around the most bothered zoa.. could he be irritated my corals?

Attachments

• 87F8A5EB-B4B9-4EF8-A723-E4A6A992297D.MOV
    52.9 MB

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're only 2 months in, don't freak out yet. corals do weird things all the time. give them and the tank time to settle in before you start making changes. also too early to start adding nutrients and whatnot. once you add more fish and livestock the nutrients will follow.

OP
OP
O

OverkillNANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're only 2 months in, don't freak out yet. corals do weird things all the time. give them and the tank time to settle in before you start making changes. also too early to start adding nutrients and whatnot. once you add more fish and livestock the nutrients will follow.

I didn’t plan to add more than one other fish . And some shrimps . You think that would be enough? I have a ricordea that’s been struggling since day one. It’s a frag . It’s the only coral that is shrinking . And the zoas “even the ones with bent rims “ are growing new head since I got them as well ... that’s why I’m so stumped

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have heard of ricordias being finicky. all 3 ive tried floated away and disappeared too. if your other zoas are growing then i wouldnt worry about it. take it slow. also for what its worth, some of my zoas literally took months to start growing at all. you have to give corals time to adapt.

as for if one more fish is enough, we would need more info, like tank size and what you already have.

OP
OP
O

OverkillNANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry
All that’s in there as for “animals” is a baby clown a ghost shrimp and a emerald crab
. I plan to get a green clown goby or a neon or shark nose goby as the plus one

OP
OP
O

OverkillNANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a really cute looking clown. you are more than fine with a new goby. take your time and enjoy the process. i think you are off to a good start.

Thanks . I have three other tanks . All freshwater. I tried to take the best approach when starting this nano . I hope it pays off like everyone is telling me :)

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back