• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

My (not so great) experience with Dr. Reef's Quarantined Fish

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

biokeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share my experience with Dr. Reef's after over $1,000 and 6 months wasted. If you don't want to read through my whole experience, I will include a TL;DR at the end, along with some photos of the animals received.

I started as many of you probably have. I heard countless times Dr. Reef recommended as the "go to" vendor for quality pre-quarantined livestock. After seeing the name mentioned so many times over several months, I figured I would choose this vendor to stock my new 150g system.

My first order was placed on October 14th. By November 28th, it was finally ready to be shipped out. It was estimated to arrive on November 30th. UPS informed me of a delay and the arrival was pushed back 1 day. I notified Dr. Reef and they assured me that fish survival rate should be high. I will commend them on their DOA coverage. They said right at the get-go here that they will cover me for anything that may happen to the fish due to the delay. Thankfully they stayed true to their word, as with this first shipment over 70% of the fish were DOA. For whatever reason, they thought it would be a good idea to ship 9 small chromis in 1 bag. They, of course, were all DOA. I also received a diamond goby that was completely decayed within the bag.

First order, done. I didn't put too much blame on Dr. Reef for this order. I thought it was strange that they packaged 9 chromis in one bag and that the diamond goby was so decayed within it's bag. However, I chalked this order's issues up to the shipment delay and moved on.

Thankfully, Dr. Reef was very good with their DOA policy and started to quarantine 9 more chromis for me and a new coral beauty (which passed same day), as well as the diamond goby. Along with these replacements, I added another $500 worth a fish to be quarantined with them and eventually add to my system. This included a copperband, convict tang, tomini tang, yellow tang, and a mandarin.

November 22nd, 2nd order placed (with the DOA replacements). January 12th, the order finally arrives. This time, no shipment delays at all. I immediately noticed with this shipment that the 9 chromis were all individually packed and were a bit larger than the first order, great. The convict tang, coral beauty, and mandarin all seemed to be doing well enough. My diamond goby replacement was yet again fairly decayed in the bag. The copperband had heavy respirations and laying on it's side with some sort of bruising or damage to it's body. The yellow tang (the size of a quarter) had heavy respirations and laying on it's side. Needless to say, the copperband and yellow tang both passed fairly quickly after attempting to acclimate them. The chromis were doing well in their observation tank until I quickly noticed one of them had the dreaded uronema. The uronema didn't really present itself until my timeframe to report any DOA/issues had past (I believe the rule is 3 days?). Within 2 weeks or so, most of the chromis had passed due to the uronema and I decided to euthanize the remaining few.

Yet again, multiple animals arrived in extremely poor condition and several did not survive. Thankfully, again, Dr. Reef were great with their replacement/DOA policies. They put me on board for a copperband, yellow tang, and coral beauty.

January 12th, 3rd order placed. March 21st and the final order is shipped. The copperband this round seems much better than the first. The yellow tang is larger than the first. I did notice the yellow tang seemed a bit "off." It seemed like it had HLLE but I wasn't sure if it was just discoloration due to it being a juvenile captive-bred animal. It's stomach has also seemed very oddly shaped to me, and at this point I wonder if it has some sort of intestinal blockage or parasite.

This 3rd order is pretty much the culmination of my issues. I believe with this 3rd order, one of these fish arrived with ich. To be honest, it may have even come in on the 2nd order as well (on the convict tang). I initially had the 3 fish in an observation tank for a week or two. All of them were eating fairly well and showed no signs of issues. I let my guard down a bit here and decided to go ahead and introduce them to the main display. I trusted the vendor and their quarantine process. In retrospect, I should've done more to observing each animal and carefully inspecting them. Within a week or so, the copperband passed away. He had been eating in the observation tank fairly well. I'm not quite sure what the cause of his death was.

The rest of the inhabitants did fairly well for the next few weeks. I did notice the convict tang flashing on the sand a few times, but nothing too often to where I thought much of it. He also appeared to look fine and had a normal appetite. I then took a close look at the tomini tang and sure enough, I could see signs of ich. Another closer look at the clownfish in my system and I could also see some signs. The yellow tang as well. At this point, I believe 4-6 of my fish are showing the physical signs of ich. So far, none of them have passed and all of them have good appetites. I am now left with a fully stocked 150g system which as ich and have to figure out a management plan moving forward.

In the end, the extra money spent on "pre-quarantined fish"... the 5-6 month process... none of it mattered. A breakout of ich still occurred. Aside from that, I had 26 fish come in dead/die within a week or two of arrival. I expected so much more and put my trust in their process. After seeing so many of these animals come in dead/decayed/poor health, I think I will attempt another vendor in the future. The price I paid wasn't worth this, the time I spent waiting for all of them to come in wasn't worth it.

I hope this experience helps you out a bit and if anything, gives some insight into the process of ordering with Dr. Reef.

TL;DR....
$1,000 of fish ordered
13/33 fish arrived dead/dying
13/33 fish died within first week
7/33 total fish ordered are still alive
Ich introduced to my system via one of these orders
9 chromis dead due to uronema
5-6 months total time spent on the whole process

Best of luck to anyone who chooses Dr. Reef in the future.

IMG_3228.JPEG IMG_3231.JPEG IMG_3232.JPEG IMG_3546.JPEG IMG_3551.JPEG IMG_3923.PNG IMG_3937.JPG

Thunderstruck34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Holy moly you’ve got some patience. I had a less than stellar experience with Dr. Reef (tang arrive with velvet maybe brook?) but was hoping that was an outlier. I will say all of the inverts in my order were in excellent condition and the DOA process was quick and painless though.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were there any other livestock added to this system, ever? Or was the one and only source of livestock Dr. Reef?

OP
OP
biokeeper

biokeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy moly you’ve got some patience. I had a less than stellar experience with Dr. Reef (tang arrive with velvet maybe brook?) but was hoping that was an outlier. I will say all of the inverts in my order were in excellent condition and the DOA process was quick and painless though.
Yep, agreed. DOA process was always great and painless. Communication was usually pretty good. I received a fire shrimp from them and he has done great.
Were there any other livestock added to this system, ever? Or was the one and only source of livestock Dr. Reef?
90% of the system's livestock are from Dr. Reef. The other 10% had been in there for a long while with no signs of ich.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, agreed. DOA process was always great and painless. Communication was usually pretty good. I received a fire shrimp from them and he has done great.

90% of the system's livestock are from Dr. Reef. The other 10% had been in there for a long while with no signs of ich.
That doesn’t mean the system was ich-free. Introducing a bunch of new fish to a system that already had ich present could EASILY trigger an outbreak.

OP
OP
biokeeper

biokeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn’t mean the system was ich-free. Introducing a bunch of new fish to a system that already had ich present could EASILY trigger an outbreak.
I never mentioned the speed of which I added any of the fish. I did, however, mention that I have observation tanks that were in use (multiple, in fact). Therefor, you could rather assume that I did not do what you mentioned. I added fish to the main display slowly and closely monitored ammonia/nitrite levels to ensure there were no spikes.

I'm fairly certain that the ich was from either the convict tang, the coral beauty, or both. There were early signs that I didn't think much of until it was too late. Again, I put my trust in their process and reputation and let it cloud my better judgement when I noticed the off-hand early signs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
biokeeper

biokeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a $600+ order coming in soon, hoping I don't get the same experience! Sorry for your losses and the horrible experience you went through.
Really hope it goes well. I'd recommend using a QT/observation tank, if possible, and keeping a close eye on everyone for a decent amount of time. It seems the majority of people do have a good experience, so hopefully the same comes for you.

SneaksMcdoogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a $600+ order coming in soon, hoping I don't get the same experience! Sorry for your losses and the horrible experience you went through.
I have had good experiences with them, Iv only had one DOA from them and luckily was a 1 off for me as it was a tomini so they had a QTed on rdy the following week.

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had issues myself but this does seem like it was a bit of a nightmare. That DOA record is pretty brutal, potential pathogen introduction aside

sabor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through some issues with my order as well. Ordered a very expensive gem tang. It came with some kind of fungus stuck on the side of the body in multiple spots. The fish hasn’t eaten in over 7 days. I don’t have a Qt tank so I had to introduce him into main display. None of my other fishes mess with him so I’m sure he has some kind of internal parasite. Today, I put a grabber in the tank to place a coral and he didn’t run from the grabber like any normal fish usually does. Doesn’t look good for the fish. Hopefully it turns around soon for me.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We sell about couple of thousand fish per week, most of them share the same water. If ich came from our system Internet will light up with not 1 complaint but hundreds of people talking about ich in their system due to our fish. Its simple and very much common sense as most will know if 1 fish had ich in our system then most all of them should have been infected. In 5 years we been doing qt, we manages to give ich to only 1 person? really what about the other hundreds of fish that shared the same tanks/water. If we were providing diseases to customers we wont have a solid reputation nor we will be in business.
In last 5 years we have maybe 8-10 complaints about ich and in all cases clients added something to the tank from a non qted source. Snails, corals, frags, rocks etc were added without qtying properly.
We almost guarantee our fish (without really saying it). Also in the winter time doas do go up. Oct through Feb are the worst time to ship. In 2022 we closed at 9.7% doa this is very reasonable in the industry.
We have tried to compensate every customer that has any issue without any resistance from our side. We belive in people getting the best for their money and if quality is an issue, we will happy replace/credit them.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We sell about couple of thousand fish per week, most of them share the same water. If ich came from our system Internet will light up with not 1 complaint but hundreds of people talking about ich in their system due to our fish. Its simple and very much common sense as most will know if 1 fish had ich in our system then most all of them should have been infected. In 5 years we been doing qt, we manages to give ich to only 1 person? really what about the other hundreds of fish that shared the same tanks/water. If we were providing diseases to customers we wont have a solid reputation nor we will be in business.
In last 5 years we have maybe 8-10 complaints about ich and in all cases clients added something to the tank from a non qted source. Snails, corals, frags, rocks etc were added without qtying properly.
We almost guarantee our fish (without really saying it). Also in the winter time doas do go up. Oct through Feb are the worst time to ship. In 2022 we closed at 9.7% doa this is very reasonable in the industry.
We have tried to compensate every customer that has any issue without any resistance from our side. We belive in people getting the best for their money and if quality is an issue, we will happy replace/credit them.
You are fighting an uphill battle and I commend you for trying. In the end I believe there are too many variables to control in this business model. No matter what there will always be losses since no one can guarantee life period. All you can do is your best. This business model is complicated by the large range of abilities with the customers you sell to. I wish you well.

OP
OP
biokeeper

biokeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the attempts to discredit my experience regarding the introduction of ich in my system.

Just for fun, let’s completely put that issue to the side.

79% of the fish I’ve ordered have either been DOA or dead within the first week.
39% of the fish I’ve ordered were DOA.
This entire process has taken me 5+ months.

I have been honest about the positives. The communication was always handled well, with emails responded to in a very timely manner. The DOA policy was always honored.

It’s been tough for me to justify the time and money spent on this entire process with the high DOA rate and now the introduction of ich which will potentially wipe out everything.

I imagine my experience is probably an outlier and not very common. I’m sure many people do place orders that go smoothly. I’m just sharing my experience to show what’s possible.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not discrediting you at all. And yes you mentioned all postives. I respect that.

I mentioned on many different threads. Winter shipping is very harsh on livestock. That's where you had most doa.

Qted or not qted we don't feed them kryptonite. So any fish subjected to bad conditions will degrade over time. 6 months in someone's tanks we don't know what's been going on with these fish.

I will admit if it arrived looking like that then yes sure it would be my fault. But I can assure you it didn't.
Biota sends these yellow tangs to us. They are skinny and pale. But never infected. We keep our tank bred livestock in a separate warehouse than wild caught.
5 years of experience and moving around and perfecting things have thought us a lot how to avoid these kinda incidents.

Anyways like I mentioned before many times. I am not I it for money and as I stated above, we guarantee our stock (without really putting it in writing)

So I am willing to help you cure these fish and if you have any loses, doesn't matter even if it wasn't purchased from us. I will happily replace it with no cost to you.

You can choose to cure them yourself and I can provide medication for free or I can send you shipping label and you can send them back to me either or your choice.

My guarantee to you is you will have all your fish live and healthy by the end of all this at no cost to you.

Last edited:

Thunderstruck34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not discrediting you at all. And yes you mentioned all postives. I respect that.
I mentioned on many different threads. Winter shipping is very harsh on livestock. That's where you had most doa.
You think vendors love to see doa? You think I was happy to see you had 78% doa?
You think I wanted the fish to arrive doa?
Ask yourself these questions.
What did I gain out of these doa.
So if it wasn't intentional then what happened?
We can easily tell you it was cold temperatures. We see high doas during Oct through feb/March.

Also you posted a pic of yellow tang. I can assure you it didn't arrive in that condition.
You are posting pics 6 months down the road.

I can prove this by simply asking you to post the pic of yellow tang at arrival.

And I can logically discard it also as if it would have arrived looking like that, you won't be posting pics 6 mo ths down the road. It would have been and immediate post.

Qted or not qted we don't feed them kryptonite. So any fish subjected to bad conditions will degrade over time. 6 months in someone's tanks we don't know what's been going on with these fish.

I will admit if it arrived looking like that then yes sure it would be my fault. But I can assure you it didn't.
Biota sends these yellow tangs to us. They are skinny and pale. But never infected. We keep our tank bred livestock in a separate warehouse than wild caught.
5 years of experience and moving around and perfecting things have thought us a lot how to avoid these kinda incidents.

Anyways like I mentioned before many times. I am not I it for.money and as I stated above, we guarantee our stock (without really putting it in writing)

So I am willing to help you cure these fish and if you have any loses, doesn't matter even if it wasn't purchased from us. I will happily replace it with no cost to you.

You can choose to cure them yourself and I can provide medication for free or I can send you shipping label and you can send them back to me either or your choice.

My guarantee to you is you will have all your fish live and healthy by the end of all this at no cost to you.

Kudos to you on taking heat with grace. I’ll reorder when I set up my frag tank on this comment alone.

QuitterJr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos to you on taking heat with grace. I’ll reorder when I set up my frag tank on this comment alone.
The guarantee and commitment is amazing. I had a great experience recently with Dr. Reef, although my order seemed to be inexplicably delayed by about 3 weeks after waiting for months. My coco worm also died inexplicably within a day or two while everything else was fine.

Still, the blame seems to be focused on the purchaser at the outset. Cut that portion out of the comment, and then I will appreciate the otherwise great response.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, and a friend of mine, just did our first orders.

My buddy ordered two Copper Bands fully QT'ed, and two spotted koles not QT'ed. One copper band DOA; the other passed the following day. The Spotted Kole's are still kicking but not visibly eating.

Me I ordered a QT'ed Mystery wrasse. Arrived alive but passed during the night.

Butterfly's, particularly copperbands, are always tough to put through copper. As are a lot of wrasses.

I've quarantined a lot of fish that went on to live full lives, but have also killed fish in QT. QT is not easy on fish and sometimes you have to slam the brakes a bit when a fish isn't acting right or eating well during QT and revisit the issue when the fish is fatter and more used to tank life. Not something that works with a commercial model. Full prophylactic "QT" is like chemo on fish and they don't always come out of it in the best condition for something dramatic like being shipped. It is what it is, and if you haven't QT'ed fish before it probably doesn't make sense that a QT'ed fish could perish from stress when it comes into your possession.

To the OP I find it unlikely you were shipped a fish with Ich. You may have had a fish stressed from QT that contracted ich in your system. Ich is the easiest thing to clean up on a fish, it can just be tough on the fish.

And as you can tell from said vendor's prices and doa guarantees - he really isn't in it for the money. Trying to make a fish 100% clean is an admirable goal but tricky business. And I don't think a lot of people understand that.

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think vendors love to see doa? You think I was happy to see you had 78% doa?
We can easily tell you it was cold temperatures. We see high doas during Oct through feb/March.

Also you posted a pic of yellow tang. I can assure you it didn't arrive in that condition.

I can prove this by simply asking you to post the pic of yellow tang at arrival.

And I can logically discard it also as if it would have arrived looking like that, you won't be posting pics 6 mo ths down the road. It would have been and immediate post.

Anyways like I mentioned before many times. I am not I it for.money and as I stated above, we guarantee our stock (without really putting it in writing)

Major respect. So far all my fish from Dr. Reef have been great and they have been amazing communication wise. I’m sorry you went through this sounds really rough.
@Dr. Reef does the same deal apply to me?

snackpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey Dr. Reef,

My wife and I have been considering ordering from you (based on the positives that we've read about you), but have been hesitant based on threads like these.

Our biggest reason for not trying you yet, is that one of your competitors is local to us and we can swing by and pick our orders up.

Losses from shipping are never fun, even if you're guaranteeing money back. To calm the fears of shipping, and to prove that the losses that people come here to light you up about are due to weather and not poor process on your end, do you have any data showing DOA claims based on month/temperature?

Just a thought, might help you when these threads pop up, and calm those of us who haven't pulled the trigger and ordered with you yet.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 77.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back