My Octopus Reef

  • Thread starter Thread starter ReefRealm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ReefRealm

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 26, 2025
Messages
17
Reaction score
12
Location
Sothern California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been running about a year. Both times I have put an octopus in, it lays eggs within 2 weeks and dies shortly after.
 
I'm far from an expert on Octos, but I've loved them from afar for decades 🙂

This sounds like a sourcing issue to me, you seem to be getting a female at the end of her life. Maybe try a different source for your next 'pus if you try another?

@Üter may have some insight here, they've kept octopuses before.

Good luck!
 
Is there an octopus in the video? 🤔
No, the octopus is under a rock, has not come out since it laid eggs. I was able to see the eggs in the beginning but I believe the hey were not fertilized and have been lost to the CUC.
 
I'm far from an expert on Octos, but I've loved them from afar for decades 🙂

This sounds like a sourcing issue to me, you seem to be getting a female at the end of her life. Maybe try a different source for your next 'pus if you try another?

@Üter may have some insight here, they've kept octopuses before.

Good luck!
Yeah I was thinking it was a sourcing issue as well. I have gotten them from different suppliers. But unfortunately all have been female.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new