My PAR levels at peak intensity

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago, I decided to add two more Radions to my previous lighting over my 20 x 20 x 20in cube to bring the total to 4. (2 x gen2 pro, 1x gen4 pro, 1 x XR15 pro in the center).
They run from 11am to midnight, with an hour in the morning being ramp up (where only the gen4pro is on) and 2 hours in the evening being night viewing. The rest of the time, all 4 are running at the following settings: purples (& uv) 100, royal blues 70, windex blues 70, whites 70 (for gen4s cool white 60, warm white 100), greens 70, reds 100. Intensity is always 100%, and for about an hour each day, everything ramps up to full blast. These are my PAR levels during that hour.
60141010_10119228443546884_1417783882824024064_o.jpeg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's insane! Are you sure that's PAR? I would think you'd cook corals at that extremely high PAR value.

EDIT TO ADD

Is there an echo in here? @infinite0180 , we were typing at the same time, and I got a kick out the the fact that we both started our posts the same way....now that's insane! :D

OP
OP
tnyr5

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An hour. I measured a few during non-peak, it isn't much lower. The Red Photon (the neon purple acro with red polyps on the top left, never goes below 1150 par, exept during nighttime blues.

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should go for a xr30 gen 4 pro to replace the xr15 ;Bucktooth.
jokes aside I love the selection of lights, seems like you are set to build a new tank with those lights.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use high PAR as well - if you look at my build thread - the middle of the GSP is at 700 Par (with a Neptune Par meter). That said - I would suggest that you double check your readings with another borrowed meter? Because those seem high - but your lights are really close to the water - so anything is possible (and you have a lot of light).

Question - do you have a lot of flow in your tank - or a lower alkalinity - both of which mitigate some of the issues with 'high light'

OP
OP
tnyr5

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, the fish don't care, except maybe the L. africanum, but he has his own custom-built cave.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really puzzled on how you're getting away with these extremely high numbers. If you look at the research....specifically @Dana Riddle 's eloquent work that was presented at MACNA 2016....he showed that Rate of Photosynthesis (in Porites) maxes out at about 115 PAR:

Max Par Rate of Photosynthesis.png

And, once you get past 200 PAR or so, you start getting photoinhibition....slow down of coral growth.

Screenshot 2019-05-12 at 12.42.12 PM.png

His conclusion about light from this study was a PAR between 115-200 for maximum growth rates.

I've got to believe you're in full blown photoinhibition in your tank, similar to what Dana found mid-day in the shallow tidal pools.

If interested..... and I've linked this video so many times, I'm going to have to start paying royalties....here is the entire talk from Dana.

In part, because of this talk, I've increased flow in my tank (5 foot 90 gallon tank) by having four MP40's and one MP10...and considering adding one more MP10. In addition, I've turned my lights down. I used, what I call "the Poor man's PAR meter"....in fact, a LUX meter...that I purchased for less than $15. My corals grow like weeds! It is my opinion that this video should be mandatory viewing by all new reefers.

I'd be curious to hear about your coral growth after, let's say, three months.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm really puzzled on how you're getting away with these extremely high numbers. If you look at the research....specifically @Dana Riddle 's eloquent work that was presented at MACNA 2016....he showed that Rate of Photosynthesis (in Porites) maxes out at about 115 PAR:

Max Par Rate of Photosynthesis.png

And, once you get past 200 PAR or so, you start getting photoinhibition....slow down of coral growth.

Screenshot 2019-05-12 at 12.42.12 PM.png

His conclusion about light from this study was a PAR between 115-200 for maximum growth rates.

I've got to believe you're in full blown photoinhibition in your tank, similar to what Dana found mid-day in the shallow tidal pools.

If interested..... and I've linked this video so many times, I'm going to have to start paying royalties....here is the entire talk from Dana.

In part, because of this talk, I've increased flow in my tank (5 foot 90 gallon tank) by having four MP40's and one MP10...and considering adding one more MP10. In addition, I've turned my lights down. I used, what I call "the Poor man's PAR meter"....in fact, a LUX meter...that I purchased for less than $15. My corals grow like weeds! It is my opinion that this video should be mandatory viewing by all new reefers.

I'd be curious to hear about your coral growth after, let's say, three months.

Firstly - these aren't porites. Second - the fact that they maxed out at xxxx PAR doesn't mean they were killed at xxxx+yyyyy PAR. BTW = I love Dana Riddles video - but - it only tells the story of the coral he tested - not 'every Coral'. And - in addition - its possible the the coral from which the tank shown were taken were from higher PAR (closer to shore areas).

It doesn't mean high light is 'bad' or 'detrimental' - but merely that its not needed. IK will as @Dana Riddle if im at least close here :)

OP
OP
tnyr5

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use high PAR as well - if you look at my build thread - the middle of the GSP is at 700 Par (with a Neptune Par meter). That said - I would suggest that you double check your readings with another borrowed meter? Because those seem high - but your lights are really close to the water - so anything is possible (and you have a lot of light).

Question - do you have a lot of flow in your tank - or a lower alkalinity - both of which mitigate some of the issues with 'high light'

Valid skepticism, so I took some other measurements ( all values approximate):

Apogee mq-200, all values in air

-5:30-5:40pm sunlight in central PA, light Cirrus cloud cover (blue sky except for clouds in front of sun of course): 900-1400 depending upon the density of the cloud blocking the sun
-Ushio 14k 400w metal halide, new, in 20in lumenarc reflector with icecap 400w ballast, approximate distance measured from rim of reflector:
2700 @ 0"
700 @ 12"
300 @ 25"
- 6 bulb normal output 40w flourescent fixture with individual reflectors from lowes, bulbs 14 months old:
200 @ 12", 250-270 in the hotspots

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back