My Pet Lobster

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you gotten a molt from him yet? When you do, lay it out to look natural, spray it with some hairspray and make room on a wall to display them with dates. It makes for a great timeline documentaion.

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this you? I've followed this video when it came out.
It's got 14 million views!

The narrator sounds like a younger version of Marty Stouffer from Wild America I used to watch as a kid. :D

OP
OP
Natadactyl

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you gotten a molt from him yet? When you do, lay it out to look natural, spray it with some hairspray and make room on a wall to display them with dates. It makes for a great timeline documentaion.
Haha! No they usually eat there molted shells for calcium to aid the hardening of the new shell!! He hasn't molted yet but should be soon enough! I rescued him in August 2021!!! He came home in December!

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! No they usually eat there molted shells for calcium to aid the hardening of the new shell!! He hasn't molted yet but should be soon enough! I rescued him in August 2021!!! He came home in December!
I've read that too but mine never did eat their molts, but then again I kept them well fed. (Maybe a little too well fed.) Ended up with a garage wall pretty much covered in them.

OP
OP
Natadactyl

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that too but mine never did eat their molts, but then again I kept them well fed. (Maybe a little too well fed.) Ended up with a garage wall pretty much covered in them.
Oh you owned maritime lobsters before??? What did u feed yours?? Ive haven't talked to many ppl that owned one to

OP
OP
Natadactyl

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awsome pet! I've had smaller reef lobsters in the past but had to return them because they eat all the snails and hermit crabs. Lol
D
Yeah larry is alone in his tank!!! He has lots of company in the kitchen between the cats and traffic in the house! Him and my one cat always challenge each other through the glass! Its pretty funny! Lol

Snapchat-1497015808.jpg

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you owned maritime lobsters before??? What did u feed yours?? Ive haven't talked to many ppl that owned one to
I know about them, never owned them though. Ambush predators, theyll eat shrimp, fish, sea urchins, some plant life, mollusks, crabs, and somtimes mussels, urchin, algae, and starfish. So a mixed diet is good.

OP
OP
Natadactyl

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know about them, never owned them though. Ambush predators, theyll eat shrimp, fish, sea urchins, some plant life, mollusks, crabs, and somtimes mussels, urchin, algae, and starfish. So a mixed diet is good.
Oh ok! Yeah i feed him shrimp fish scallops and algae! He recently ate to peas and loved them!! Gonna try some green pepper and cucumber next! He really is a fun pet to have! He has so much personality and comes out of his cave to greet me all the time! Probably for food or to attack but i like to think hes saying hi lol!!!

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, you're not going to like this (;Sorry) but, I used to do a lot of lobster diving. (Pacific Rock Lobsters) I'd keep them in a temperate (cold) water tank in the garage and fattened them up. They are pretty much just the cockroaches of the seas so they would eat just about anything that came from the ocean. If you have a food fish market near you look to see if they have a pack of seafood chunks.
I did "somehow" end up with a really small one in my temperate reef tank. (Since this was decades ago, hopefully the statute of limitations has run out.;Nailbiting) Got 17 molts before.... well I'll leave it at that.

OP
OP
Natadactyl

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you're not going to like this (;Sorry) but, I used to do a lot of lobster diving. (Pacific Rock Lobsters) I'd keep them in a temperate (cold) water tank in the garage and fattened them up. They are pretty much just the cockroaches of the seas so they would eat just about anything that came from the ocean. If you have a food fish market near you look to see if they have a pack of seafood chunks.
I did "somehow" end up with a really small one in my temperate reef tank. (Since this was decades ago, hopefully the statute of limitations has run out.;Nailbiting) Got 17 molts before.... well I'll leave it at that.
Hahhaa its ok i work at a seafood restaurant so i see lobster getting eaten all the time!!! As long as its not Larry im happy!!! I do hate our live tank not gonna lie! But im a sucker for any animal!!! I quit eating lobster when i took larry home lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back