My porcupine puffer lost his eye due to ick

Mike7744

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My puffers right eye is gone. There was a ick infection in my tank I am treating in a QT with Copper. As of yesterday his right eye is gone, just a white spot sunken in where the eye was. He is not swimming just sitting there.
Is there anything I can do?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My puffers right eye is gone. There was a ick infection in my tank I am treating in a QT with Copper. As of yesterday his right eye is gone, just a white spot sunken in where the eye was. He is not swimming just sitting there.
A pic under white lighting always helpful. I just posted a thread this past week regarding loss of an eye in which i have a cardinal fish with one eye. Began as popeye and was suddenly gone. Porcupines are susceptible to eye injuries as they are clumsy, bump into this and glass surf running up and down the tank.

Here is what I wrote:

There has been a few posts over the last few months with fish losing an eye and a question often asked - " will my fish live with one eye? "
The answer is yes but unknown is how close to normal longevity. I have a bangaii cardinal that had severe popeye a little over a year ago and one day the entire eye was gone and still function as normal of course obtaining a little less food than it did originally.
Often it starts as an injury or scratch and when the eye becomes cloudy, it's the start of trauma and risk of loss especially when left untreated. Many fish such as butterfly fish, clownfish, anthias fish, large puffers and grunts are susceptible to eye injury and even gas bubble issues.
When a fish loses an eye, often it will be sunken in, deflated or appear as a false eye. Often vitamin deficiencies after trauma can be a contributor.

OP
OP
Mike7744

Mike7744

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pic under white lighting always helpful. I just posted a thread this past week regarding loss of an eye in which i have a cardinal fish with one eye. Began as popeye and was suddenly gone. Porcupines are susceptible to eye injuries as they are clumsy, bump into this and glass surf running up and down the tank.

Here is what I wrote:

There has been a few posts over the last few months with fish losing an eye and a question often asked - " will my fish live with one eye? "
The answer is yes but unknown is how close to normal longevity. I have a bangaii cardinal that had severe popeye a little over a year ago and one day the entire eye was gone and still function as normal of course obtaining a little less food than it did originally.
Often it starts as an injury or scratch and when the eye becomes cloudy, it's the start of trauma and risk of loss especially when left untreated. Many fish such as butterfly fish, clownfish, anthias fish, large puffers and grunts are susceptible to eye injury and even gas bubble issues.
When a fish loses an eye, often it will be sunken in, deflated or appear as a false eye. Often vitamin deficiencies after trauma can be a contributor.
Did you do anything to treat the eye? Or just leave it alone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What caused the eye damage, any ideas? What other fish are in with it?

Jay

OP
OP
Mike7744

Mike7744

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich won’t cause a fish to lose an eye - it was likely due to bacterial infection or injury.
Should I be treating him with a different medication? Right now I have him in copper because of the ick. I'm pretty sure it was ick because my clown had it as well, all the fish are in QT

OP
OP
Mike7744

Mike7744

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, is it possible that I did not have ick, and just a bacteria infection, on 2 fish. It did look like little white spots on both fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please list what other fish are in with it? Posting a clear video is also very important. Help us to help you!

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porcupine puffer, green cromis, clown

O.K., I needed to rule out another fish taking the eye of the porcupine's eye out. Just need a video now.....linking to Youtube works well.

Jay

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to hear. Definitely keep monitoring behavior. It is possible if it had ich that the injury would have come from flashing or rubbing aggressively against rocks, behavioral symptoms that can arise with an ich infection.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back