My purple stylophora is conscious?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are sessile animals, I get it.

But I'm starting to think my purple stylophora is sentient with eyes or something. Lately, it retracts it's polyps whenever something goes on in the tank- like a fish would, so to speak.

For example, I just cleaned the glass, it retracts it's polyps (as if danger). There are other weird examples. It wasn't doing this before, but is pretty consistently acting as if "aware" the past few days.

Coincidence or water disturbances such that when something happens, it responds?

Anyone else experience this? I'm worried that someone is stuck inside that stylo- like the movie The Fly or whatever. :p I kid, but seriously...

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are sessile animals, I get it.

But I'm starting to think my purple stylophora is sentient with eyes or something. Lately, it retracts it's polyps whenever something goes on in the tank- like a fish would, so to speak.

For example, I just cleaned the glass, it retracts it's polyps (as if danger). There are other weird examples. It wasn't doing this before, but is pretty consistently acting as if "aware" the past few days.

Coincidence or water disturbances such that when something happens, it responds?

Anyone else experience this? I'm worried that someone is stuck inside that stylo- like the movie The Fly or whatever. :p I kid, but seriously...
It is most likely responding to either a change in light, a burst of flow, a bump from an algae scrapper etc.. When I open my tank the light changes and my Duncans all close up. They didn't survive millions of years for no reason :D

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back