My Recent Evo build and upgrades from the start

dibaser18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started a new/ ongoing Evo build about a month ago, here is the list of equipment and media I bought and have upgraded straight away.

So the tank obviously Evo sea 13.5 gallon
Upgraded the pump to eheim compaction 1000
Heater eheim thermo preset 100watt
Carib sea arag Fiji pink live sand 10lb
Carib sea nano tank rock kit
I bought 2 kg of live rock aswell from a lfs
Upgraded the return pump duck bills to a 1/2 inch rfg.
Wave maker tunze nanostream 6015
Fritz turbo start 900
Ammonia chloride for cycling
Some Epoxy putty
Reef print media baskets for fluval Evo
Max spec nano spheres 1kg
Filter floss
Finer filters four stage r/o filter with resin chamber
I made the noob mistake of not planning my aquascape but I think it's ok....

PXL_20230825_141255274.jpg PXL_20230825_141343988.LONG_EXPOSURE-01.COVER.jpg

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started a new/ ongoing Evo build about a month ago, here is the list of equipment and media I bought and have upgraded straight away.

So the tank obviously Evo sea 13.5 gallon
Upgraded the pump to eheim compaction 1000
Heater eheim thermo preset 100watt
Carib sea arag Fiji pink live sand 10lb
Carib sea nano tank rock kit
I bought 2 kg of live rock aswell from a lfs
Upgraded the return pump duck bills to a 1/2 inch rfg.
Wave maker tunze nanostream 6015
Fritz turbo start 900
Ammonia chloride for cycling
Some Epoxy putty
Reef print media baskets for fluval Evo
Max spec nano spheres 1kg
Filter floss
Finer filters four stage r/o filter with resin chamber
I made the noob mistake of not planning my aquascape but I think it's ok....

PXL_20230825_141255274.jpg PXL_20230825_141343988.LONG_EXPOSURE-01.COVER.jpg
Im Just starting an evo. Not kept saltwater fish before so wish me luck. Bought live sand and 2 pieces of live rock to start. No fish in yet. Got the media basket on order but no idea what to put in it other than floss and carbon. I have bio balls in compartment 2.

OP
OP
D

dibaser18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im Just starting an evo. Not kept saltwater fish before so wish me luck. Bought live sand and 2 pieces of live rock to start. No fish in yet. Got the media basket on order but no idea what to put in it other than floss and carbon. I have bio balls in compartment 2.
To be honest I only have floss in chamber one with maxspect bio spheres and chempure blue nano one tiny packet then live rock rubble under chamber two and Floss on top of chamber two my water stays relatively clean and phosphates and nitrates stay low. Now have a pair of clowns and a cleaner shrimp plus three hermits and two turbo snails.started to get ABIT of algae though.

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I only have floss in chamber one with maxspect bio spheres and chempure blue nano one tiny packet then live rock rubble under chamber two and Floss on top of chamber two my water stays relatively clean and phosphates and nitrates stay low. Now have a pair of clowns and a cleaner shrimp plus three hermits and two turbo snails.started to get ABIT of algae though.
Any issuse with the crabs going for the snails? Im looking at sorting my clean up crew this weekend. 2 x clowns the following weekend if all my levels are ok. How often do you change your floss? I was thinking about just rinsing mine in salt water for the first time to try and keep my bio up. I have 4 zoas that came attached to the live rock. They are thriving

OP
OP
D

dibaser18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issuse with the crabs going for the snails? Im looking at sorting my clean up crew this weekend. 2 x clowns the following weekend if all my levels are ok. How often do you change your floss? I was thinking about just rinsing mine in salt water for the first time to try and keep my bio up. I have 4 zoas that came attached to the live rock. They are thriving
I bought a massive roll of floss off Amazon for cheap and cut most of it up when I was bored I put two little squares in twice a week like every three days no issues with crabs yet but I have put spare shells in tank to try and combat this.

OP
OP
D

dibaser18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also changed the wave maker to the Nero 3 it's kinda nifty but gotta find the right settings as I bought fine sand and it blows all over at the moment l.

Attachments

• PXL_20230919_191547162.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230919_191547162.MP.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
D

dibaser18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno if you can see but my setup goes chamber one normal white floss, chempure blue nano sachet,the the bio spheres.

Chamber two floss at the top next chamber empty then the bio media that came with the tank then live rock rubble under the chamber.

Attachments

• PXL_20230919_191905736.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230919_191905736.MP.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 84

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also changed the wave maker to the Nero 3 it's kinda nifty but gotta find the right settings as I bought fine sand and it blows all over at the moment l.
Thats stunning!! Heres mine 2 days in. Going to a different aquatic center this weekend to have a look at some rocks. My media basket should be here by then too so will set that up.

Attachments

• IMG_8823.jpeg
    IMG_8823.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 80

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno if you can see but my setup goes chamber one normal white floss, chempure blue nano sachet,the the bio spheres.

Chamber two floss at the top next chamber empty then the bio media that came with the tank then live rock rubble under the chamber.
Yeah i will try something like that i have some more floss ect. Do you use carbon atall? Just playing with all the water test kits getting used to using them. Nitrate is at 1. Amonia and NO2 are zero. Just ordered ph and phosphorus.

OP
OP
D

dibaser18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats stunning!! Heres mine 2 days in. Going to a different aquatic center this weekend to have a look at some rocks. My media basket should be here by then too so will set that up.
Yeh it looks good I definitely regret putting so much rock in but can't bring myself to take any out now lol. Yeh it's a pain waiting for everything but I wouldn't rush because part of the fun is picking corals and that if your gonna do it. If your from the United kingdom. I got alot of stuff off charterhouse aquatics there really good.

OP
OP
D

dibaser18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chempure blue nano has carbon/resin in although ATM I can't see much difference in the water quality or phosphate levels they have gone down slightly. I would say stay away from chempure elite as it seems too strong for a nano tank in my experience and maybe stick to carbon if your getting good results. Everyone's results are slightly different because of factors like how much die off In the live rock you have and how much rock you actually use.

Note. I mean much difference as the first month I used the carbon that came with it cause I have a few gorilla nipple zoa's lol

OP
OP
D

dibaser18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's my zoa's a couple of mushrooms, the Duncan with cleaner shrimp. And lastly my two candy canes and a long polyp toadstool with some algae on it .

Attachments

• PXL_20230919_193831734.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230919_193831734.MP.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20230919_193822267.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230919_193822267.MP.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20230919_193841521.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230919_193841521.MP.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 64

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeh it looks good I definitely regret putting so much rock in but can't bring myself to take any out now lol. Yeh it's a pain waiting for everything but I wouldn't rush because part of the fun is picking corals and that if your gonna do it. If your from the United kingdom. I got alot of stuff off charterhouse aquatics there really good.
Yes mate from Nottingham. I will check that out.
The chempure blue nano has carbon/resin in although ATM I can't see much difference in the water quality or phosphate levels they have gone down slightly. I would say stay away from chempure elite as it seems too strong for a nano tank in my experience and maybe stick to carbon if your getting good results. Everyone's results are slightly different because of factors like how much die off In the live rock you have and how much rock you actually use.

Note. I mean much difference as the first month I used the carbon that came with it cause I have a few gorilla nipple zoa's lol
Gorilla nipple zoas. Lol. Had to immediately google that to check it was real.

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's my zoa's a couple of mushrooms, the Duncan with cleaner shrimp. And lastly my two candy canes and a long polyp toadstool with some algae on it .
What does it look like with the blue light on? I want to get some nice pieces that look good then too. Been looking at zoas so far. There is so much to read about.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back