My Reef journey with a Minireef180 ..

Sarahlouise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I've decided now that I would like to document my journey with my new Minireef180, which is currently going through cycling.

I currently have an AquaOne AR20 (Replaced bulbs and modified filtration, no skimmer.)
- with 2 Oscellaris Clownfish
I am moving my clownfish to a Minireef 180, equipped with all AquaOne products (skimmer, pump, lighting, etc) and an AquaTop wavemaker, but still researching into the quality of the lighting, and buying a spare Jebao return pump, ATO unit (probably AquaOne as I am comfortable with their products)

DT.JPG

I'd like to say that it will be done soon but in reality, this process is never-ending, I'm so impatient!
Currently, the API test kits read that Ammonia is sitting at 1.0, Nitrite is at 0.50 and Nitrates are still at 0 - It seems like there is still some waiting to do :(

API.JPG

I cycled it with a raw shrimp just like my LFS said but after watching an abundance of Youtube videos I have heard that maybe this was not the way to go. It is difficult as Dr. Timms and other nitrifying bacteria alike Fritz Turbo Starts are a rarity when you live in Geelong, Aus and the reefing hobby is scarce.

Attached should be a photo of my DT and the API test kits - I would love to know people's experience with API as it has mixed reviews, and I always find the ammonia test a massive effort to read as the colors don't always match. Also, I would love to hear about the consensus on AquaOne products if you have one!

Hopefully, my tank is cycled soon! Updates to come :)

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Cycles usually take around 30 days no matter what you use. Patience is truly a virtue in this hobby. :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 31 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 106 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%

Back