My Reef Tank Journey

Tom2257

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My journey begin when I found a used 90 gallon tank. My first purchase at the LFS was a stand, a Proclear wet/dry filter system. The LFS installed it and added the sand, 80 pounds of live rock. Then came the waiting game waiting for it to cycle. I made the mistake of adding too many fish at one time and BOOM, lost everything. Went fallow.In the fallow period In the fallow period I set up a 29 gallon quarantine Once it was ok, I added a UV light, BRS charcoal reactor, skimmer. I added new fish, one at a time after a 30 day quarantine. Fish were happy, I was happy.
My medicine chest for the tank looks like a pharmacy. Everything from A to Z. I have all the Hanna checkers, makes life so much easier!

My wife decided she wanted coral. We lost some at first. Now I feel like a mad chemist doing all my water testing.
I am afraid of adding up my total expenses.

This has been a true learning process, learning all about phosphates, nitrates, nitrate, calcium, magnesium, alkalinity, waterflow, avoiding getting stung by my one spot foxface, wearing gloves when dealing with certain zoas.

My next major purchase will be good lighting. Well thats not my only purchase, I found a 150 gallon tank cheap!
This is a very addictive hobby!

A big thank you for this forum. Its my number one source for great information.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My journey begin when I found a used 90 gallon tank. My first purchase at the LFS was a stand, a Proclear wet/dry filter system. The LFS installed it and added the sand, 80 pounds of live rock. Then came the waiting game waiting for it to cycle. I made the mistake of adding too many fish at one time and BOOM, lost everything. Went fallow.In the fallow period In the fallow period I set up a 29 gallon quarantine Once it was ok, I added a UV light, BRS charcoal reactor, skimmer. I added new fish, one at a time after a 30 day quarantine. Fish were happy, I was happy.
My medicine chest for the tank looks like a pharmacy. Everything from A to Z. I have all the Hanna checkers, makes life so much easier!

My wife decided she wanted coral. We lost some at first. Now I feel like a mad chemist doing all my water testing.
I am afraid of adding up my total expenses.

This has been a true learning process, learning all about phosphates, nitrates, nitrate, calcium, magnesium, alkalinity, waterflow, avoiding getting stung by my one spot foxface, wearing gloves when dealing with certain zoas.

My next major purchase will be good lighting. Well thats not my only purchase, I found a 150 gallon tank cheap!
This is a very addictive hobby!

A big thank you for this forum. Its my number one source for great information.
Sounds like you’re figuring things out! Can you post pics of your setup?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back