My ReefLED90 died? How long do I have?

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My light fixture has been giving me a hard time. You can see the details in my build thread. It was acting up yesterday and I did everything I could and reached out to Red Sea, but I still have one thing on my mind. How much time do I have before my coral starts suffering? Can I wait until Red Sea gets back to me and fixes the issue so I can order what I need, or do I need to act fast? I know I'm probably overreacting a bit but it's not like this happens every day. HELP!!

The only light coming from the fixture is very dim white light.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank near a window for ambient light? I'd say you have at least a week or more without major issues.

Upvote 0

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People do three day blackouts to get rid of algae/dinoflagellates with minimal stress on the corals. I recall seeing some go even longer. As long as you aren't loaded with clams and acros 3-4 days should be fine.

If I were in your position I would get another light ordered today or find something locally. Going back and forth with Red Sea is going to take time and it looks like you've had the light apart before so who knows how much support they will provide. You could get a cheap light on Amazon for about $100 and have it on your tank by Tuesday, while dealing with Red Sea support.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not expect much from Red Sea. My setup is past the 2-year mark. I just want to know what I need to order more than anything else.

Upvote 0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress? A few days. Decline? More than a week. Death? I hope that nobody really knows since nobody tried it.

If you have a local reef club, see if you can borrow a light. It can even be too big and you can just set it across the top and let the ends hang off. ...or search your local marketplaces for even an old 2 bulb T5 to lay across there.

Upvote 0

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to lend some support and share my ReefLED 90 story too.
I came home for lunch the other day to a dark tank.
Tried the usual unplug and plug it back in.
Looked on the app and no program was found. Somehow my light had lost its programming.
Deleted the app and reloaded. Retuned the light to factory settings by holding the back button down. Two days of working on it to no avail. No connection to the lights wifI.

For those who don’t know, RedSea chose wifi to connect the light to the app. You have to log in to the lights wifi and then connect to your homes wifi. I think Bluetooth would have been a much better choice.

I could never get it to connect. The only way I got it to connect was to put the light back to factory settings and make a whole new account with a different email address. I don’t know why that worked but it did. The light synced up like a charm. I had a detailed custom setting but I didn’t try to recreate it. I just went with the 20K setting.

I’m looking at the AI Blade for a new light. They’re not crazy expensive and I already run three Nero 3s so I am familiar with the AI app. I have a 50 gallon Oceanic tank that is 30 inches long and surprisingly AI makes a 30 inch Blade light.

OP I hope you get you light figured out and find a replacement soon. The ReefLED is a good light but the interface is not.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to lend some support and share my ReefLED 90 story too.
I came home for lunch the other day to a dark tank.
Tried the usual unplug and plug it back in.
Looked on the app and no program was found. Somehow my light had lost its programming.
Deleted the app and reloaded. Retuned the light to factory settings by holding the back button down. Two days of working on it to no avail. No connection to the lights wifI.

For those who don’t know, RedSea chose wifi to connect the light to the app. You have to log in to the lights wifi and then connect to your homes wifi. I think Bluetooth would have been a much better choice.

I could never get it to connect. The only way I got it to connect was to put the light back to factory settings and make a whole new account with a different email address. I don’t know why that worked but it did. The light synced up like a charm. I had a detailed custom setting but I didn’t try to recreate it. I just went with the 20K setting.

I’m looking at the AI Blade for a new light. They’re not crazy expensive and I already run three Nero 3s so I am familiar with the AI app. I have a 50 gallon Oceanic tank that is 30 inches long and surprisingly AI makes a 30 inch Blade light.

OP I hope you get you light figured out and find a replacement soon. The ReefLED is a good light but the interface is not.

Thanks for sharing. I discussed it in my build thread about what ended up happening once I contacted Red Sea. They were really helpful and sent out the new part. I am still waiting on that though.

As for using the Custom settings, I concur. The most stable way to run the lights has been on their stock settings. Messing with the spectrum any seems to jeopardize the reliability of the light functioning at all. I really would like to stick with Red Sea products since the whole AIO is Red Sea. Fingers crossed.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back