My Regal Tang and Chloroquine Phosphate....

OceanL0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know where both of these fish were distributed from.

It came from my local fish store here in Wichita Kansas. I've had the fish for over two years. I was subscribing to the immune philosophy regarding fish disease in fish health. About three months ago I placed all my fish in quarantine and allowed my display to be fallow. The regal tang pictured battled ICH off and on for those two years. Once placing her in copper the ICH went away and the symptoms you see in the photo began to appear after about a week and a half to two weeks. At first I thought it was maybe some kind of skin irritation related to the copper. I use both chelated and non-chelated forms with the same and result. I have been texting humblefish and the original poster on this forum for advice for the last month or so. When I would take the copper away the symptoms would get worse for me so I came to the conclusion that it had to be some kind of parasite. Also I noticed that after a freshwater dip some of the spots cleared and the fish rallied. Some of the other fish in my tank are from live aquaria so it's possible they were carrying the disease and once the regal things immune system dropped it spread to it in my opinion.

OceanL0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know where both of these fish were distributed from.

It came from my local fish store here in Wichita Kansas. I've had the fish for over two years. I was subscribing to the immune philosophy regarding fish disease in fish health. About three months ago I placed all my fish in quarantine and allowed my display to be fallow. The regal tang pictured battled ICH off and on for those two years. Once placing her in copper the ICH went away and the symptoms you see in the photo began to appear after about a week and a half to two weeks. At first I thought it was maybe some kind of skin irritation related to the copper. I use both chelated and non-chelated forms with the same and result. I have been texting humblefish and the original poster on this forum for advice for the last month or so. When I would take the copper away the symptoms would get worse for me so I came to the conclusion that it had to be some kind of parasite. Also I noticed that after a freshwater dip some of the spots cleared and the fish rallied. Some of the other fish in my tank are from live aquaria so it's possible they were carrying the disease and once the regal things immune system dropped it spread to it in my opinion.

OceanL0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

anyone yet clarified the diagnosis using microscopy on a skin swipe sample?

Without proper diagnosis it could be Cooper resistant oodinium...or it could be something else.

Best,
Christoph

This is the same thing humble fish asked me. I do not have the skills or the know how to pull something like this off, so no I do not have any proof.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Regal is a fighter for sure, but he couldn't have done it without you! What have you named him? Great story and well written too.

Thanks! No name as of yet. I have a rule.... Nobody gets a name until they have been in the display for at least two weeks.
I don't have near the amount of specifics as the original poster but I am going through almost the exact same thing at the moment. I mean exactly. I'm on my third day of CP the symptoms are resolving and I'm trying to get my regal thing as fat as possible to make it through the end of it all hunger suppression stage of CP wish me luck.
eb7660d6a6eb1f6ae335677beeaa9174.jpg

This is a picture of my regal thing after 30 days of therapeutic copper. I'm leaning towards a copper resistant velvet. The same as the original poster
It's a tuff thing to accomplish, but it's apparently possible if extremely rare.
Hello,

anyone yet clarified the diagnosis using microscopy on a skin swipe sample?

Without proper diagnosis it could be Cooper resistant oodinium...or it could be something else.

Best,
Christoph

I don't have the equipment for that. When humblefish gets set back up, he has a microscope and if either of us runs across this again it will be scoped for ID.

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent write up Meredith and congratulations on getting him through the CP.
Incidentally, I'm a member on a reef forum in the U.K. also and we have an ongoing thread running with a list of fish that have successfully come through a cp treatment. (I'm a new member here and unsure of protocol regarding other forums so haven't posted the link but let me know if you would like it and I'd be glad to put it up or pm you). One of our members reported treating a regal with 10.33mg/U.K. Litre for 21 days. The fish came through cp successfully and is doing well in his dt.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent write up Meredith and congratulations on getting him through the CP.
Incidentally, I'm a member on a reef forum in the U.K. also and we have an ongoing thread running with a list of fish that have successfully come through a cp treatment. (I'm a new member here and unsure of protocol regarding other forums so haven't posted the link but let me know if you would like it and I'd be glad to put it up or pm you). One of our members reported treating a regal with 10.33mg/U.K. Litre for 21 days. The fish came through cp successfully and is doing well in his dt.

Feel free to post the link here. Links to other forums are allowed for informational purposes.

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel free to post the link here. Links to other forums are allowed for informational purposes.
Thread can be found here.

Please note this is all purely anecdotal evidence based on feedback from our members using cp to treat fish either as a prophylactic measure or as a treatment. It's obviously an ongoing project as the more information we get back the more reliable the info becomes. Feedback always welcome.:)

Shaun.

sigmarabi1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad this regal made it through the ordeal; he is a real fighter.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copper resistant velvet
As if we didn't have enough things to worry about in this hobby!

And still having a heck of a time trying to source a vet locally that will write / script for CP. Too bad the industry hasn't or can't bring this back as a general medicine like they seem to be able to do with a number of other chemicals formulations.

Last edited:

marcus aurelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it. I would like to here about your Achilles tang. I've been wanting to add one but have heard nothing but horror stories.

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the article and congrats for all your hard work. I have a question: did you use prime for any ammonia issues with CP or do you know if it’s safe with it. I’ve read to never use prime with copper.
Thanks

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the article and congrats for all your hard work. I have a question: did you use prime for any ammonia issues with CP or do you know if it’s safe with it. I’ve read to never use prime with copper.
Thanks

Dosing prime in a QT with copper in it will make the water toxic.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back