My Regal Tang and Chloroquine Phosphate....

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just brought mine home and threw them into the tank.

Yes I am that guy. When I did QT a powder blue in an established 3 year old 90g tank..he died.

When I put tangs directly into the display...well I have never actually lost one.

Tons of flow (up to 8,000 gallons per hour), lots of food and Ozone up to 400-450+ORP, continuous water changes, Nitrate reactor, Algae reactor, was going to add UV but didn't have the need.

2ec7c3c8241a129e8611f253cbf46c01.jpg

Last edited:

Blackened

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've treated dozens of Regal Tangs with CP using 20mg/G at the store I used to run. They fared very well imho.

Overall, wrasses were the only things that didn't fare well in CP though Pylei, Temmincki etc didn't have as high mortality as some of the others in Cirrhilabrus family.

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R6-7vCoKn8Q" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>I am at day 6 of a CP treatment for a velvet outbreak at (40mg/gallon) for all of my fish including a regal tang and an African cleaner wrasse. I am blown away at how fast this stuff works and how healthy they look only after 6 days. The regal is the only one not eating but I thought I saw him take a small bite of mysis this am. I have had most of my fish for 9-10 months and they are all super fat. I feed twice a day with lrs and PE mysis soaked in Vita Chem and they have nori every other day or so. I plan on keeping a close eye on the regal and wrasse and will set up another qt without CP if they start looking bad. All other fish are still eating a ton. Fish are:

Regal tang
Naso tang
Magnificent fox face
Regal angel
Emperor angel
African cleaner wrasse

I was sure that I was going to lose the emperor as he was covered in velvet, laying on his side gasping when I added him to the qt. Thanks to @Humblefish for his how to threads on setting up QT tanks and using CP. I am sure that I would have faced a total loss if it wasn’t for him sharing his knowledge. The video is day 5 of treatment and I wish I had pics/videos of the fish prior to treatment. The difference is amazing.

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today marks day 9 of my CP treatment and the regal tang still will not eat. He stays hidden most of the day/night while all other fish are out and eating well. I went out and bought a 10 gallon to set up a CP free holding tank just for him and am now trying to decide when to transfer him. How long can a fat fish go without food? Id prefer to leave him in the CP as long as possible so that I don’t have a recurrence.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today marks day 9 of my CP treatment and the regal tang still will not eat. He stays hidden most of the day/night while all other fish are out and eating well. I went out and bought a 10 gallon to set up a CP free holding tank just for him and am now trying to decide when to transfer him. How long can a fat fish go without food? Id prefer to leave him in the CP as long as possible so that I don’t have a recurrence.

Woe, I didn't realize you were trying to use Chloroquine on a Regal Tang. Get him out of there ASAP... Regal Tangs are intolerant of CP IME.

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up the 10 gallon today and will transfer him tomorrow. Hopefully the velvet is gone at this point. I have 60ish days to go with the fallow period on the display anyways so I can watch him. He doesn’t seem unhealthy or agitated, just a little bit skittish and refusing food. In your experience, how did your regals act in CP?

Thanks!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back