OP
AlliRose907

AlliRose907

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! And what to do about the lighting? Do I keep it all at 25% or do I turn it back up? Its been at 25% for months now. I'm a little stressed that my corals might also be dieing off because of lack of proper lighting.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! And what to do about the lighting? Do I keep it all at 25% or do I turn it back up? Its been at 25% for months now. I'm a little stressed that my corals might also be dieing off because of lack of proper lighting.
Might want to turn them up a bit, you can increase them slowly over a couple of days.
I would hold off on a mandarin for now, they need boat loads of copepods to be happy.

OP
OP
AlliRose907

AlliRose907

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been adding the pods for a little bit now. I know I am not ready for it yet. Still trying to get everything in line before I take that step. I will start turning them up slowly, as you suggested. Thank you all for your knowledge and help!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is looking pretty good, every reef has its ups and downs even in nature you just need to roll with it. The friend that said no water changes is not right , water changes are the easiest thing to keep a tank stable. I would create a schedule of 5-10gallon water changes weekly and I’m sure this will help a lot, you can make your lights brighter , maybe add more flow if you notice red algae , it hates flow

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chlorine - 0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 25
pH - 8
kH - 8
Copper - 0
Calcium - 300
Phosphate - .5
There is a test missing. Magnesium. Magnesium is very important on how calc and alk are used to build bone structure. It is not often needed to test as much as alk and calcium is.
WC's are based on your system. I can go a few months before I need to go in and get things clean. Your water parameters are not balanced and I am sure PH is spiking all over the place.

For now, as @Sleeping Giant explained. Let's get into 25% weekly water changes and get the cyano under control. You'll want to bring your lights up 5% every couple of days.

OP
OP
AlliRose907

AlliRose907

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a test missing. Magnesium. Magnesium is very important on how calc and alk are used to build bone structure. It is not often needed to test as much as alk and calcium is.
WC's are based on your system. I can go a few months before I need to go in and get things clean. Your water parameters are not balanced and I am sure PH is spiking all over the place.

For now, as @Sleeping Giant explained. Let's get into 25% weekly water changes and get the cyano under control. You'll want to bring your lights up 5% every couple of days.

I didn't know anything about Magnesium, I have some to add to the tank, but that was not a suggested test so I will order one right away! Thank you! Every time I check any of my tanks the pH is stable. Freshwater tanks stay at 6.5-7, the same way it comes out of my taps. None of the tanks ever change on pH, including the Saltwater. But I will take it all in and start getting back on my schedule as best I can. I did water changes on 5 tanks the other day and I was out of action for 3 days. Once I get the tanks back on a schedule I can manage I think all will be fine. Its just getting to the point that I can do it and not run out of battery, which I tend to do quite easily now. A shower can put me out for the rest of the day. Not sure what happened to me to cause this, but "battery management" is a real thing for me and something I seriously struggle with. Ever since that darn seizure! I need an in town fishy friend that can come "play" and help me with my tanks when I really need it. What I really, really need is someone who is good at scaping fresh and salt water so I can get everything back to the way I want it. my angel fish started breeding up a storm so I HAVE to get my 90 gal cleaned up and ready for new inhabitants too! I love my angel tank!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have a lot to manage. Magnesium isn't tested often. But, when things look mucky. We end up testing.

I understand the feeling of being alone. We all have our own approach and comfort zones. You aren't alone in this field. The big reason of testing is to keep track of wc needs or dosing. Once your system is mature, you can get into a 3 part dosing system or all for reef. That's going to be a bit down the road.

As far as close reefing friends go, I am not sure how to find them :(

OP
OP
AlliRose907

AlliRose907

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a lot to manage. Magnesium isn't tested often. But, when things look mucky. We end up testing.

I understand the feeling of being alone. We all have our own approach and comfort zones. You aren't alone in this field. The big reason of testing is to keep track of wc needs or dosing. Once your system is mature, you can get into a 3 part dosing system or all for reef. That's going to be a bit down the road.

As far as close reefing friends go, I am not sure how to find them :(

Yeah kinda like freshwater, everyone has their own take, but without some kind of guidance how does anyone get into this? with things needing to be so precise and so dialed in, how does one ever get there. It certainly isnt as forgiving as freshwater! lol The system should be mature with everything being set up for so long, I think since before last thanksgiving? I would have to check my first post. I think its been since last summer now that I think about it or I wouldnt have test results from August... How long does it take to mature a saltwater tank?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah kinda like freshwater, everyone has their own take, but without some kind of guidance how does anyone get into this? with things needing to be so precise and so dialed in, how does one ever get there. It certainly isnt as forgiving as freshwater! lol The system should be mature with everything being set up for so long, I think since before last thanksgiving? I would have to check my first post. I think its been since last summer now that I think about it or I wouldnt have test results from August... How long does it take to mature a saltwater tank?
I miss freshwater. Clean bottom, water change. If you're breeding fish, bit more complicated.

Dialing in a reef can take a few years. We add or take things away, this changes how much of what is being used.

If you keep adding lps, sps coral. You'll see alk, calc is used very quickly. Magnesium not so much. Happy sps can grow rapidly. Without traces of nitrate and phosphate, new growth is bone white.

With your own personal well being. I don't know what recharges your batteries. I understand you had a seizure. I hope you can find something. You sound like your self esteem is hitting rock bottom.

We're here for you. To the best of our abilities.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back