My sad little tank

AlliRose907

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I would share where my tank is now, and then share a pic now and then as things come together more. So basically a running timeline of my tank from beginning to end-ish (Is there ever an "end" though) LOL

Saltwater1small.jpg

OP
OP
AlliRose907

AlliRose907

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any info on the sad little tank (Size, equipment etc.)? What are the plans?
It's a 110 extra tall. I don't know anything about the equipment. It has a sump and a protein skimmer. An auto top off thing I don't have any idea how to set up, a couple blue/white led panels and 2 T5 light things. And some timers maybe? Also I was told I had to buy some kind of reactor thing? (At the drs office and it's pulled up on the laptop at home)
It was sold to me as a complete set up equipment, stand tank and hood, with an offer to help me learn as we go. I rinced the sand and went by my friends house for saltwater and pre cycled rocks last sunday.
I know I'm supposed to turn on my blue lights at 1030 am, the white lights at 2 pm, let the run for 4 hrs and then turn those off and then the blues go off at 830pm. (There are tiny frags of coral we found on the rock, otherwise I wouldn't bother with them being on) according to my friend I can start adding corals this weekend.... thats about what I know.
What I want? I desperately want a weeping willow coral, a zoa garden, and something for my clown fish to play in (one grand baby asked for a Nemo, and this mimi isn't about to disappoint her babies!!) Other than that I want a mandarin dragonet... everything else that goes in has to match with the things I deem must haves.... after that guys, I am a freshwater girl for the last 20+ years. I can answer all kinda stuff there. But my saltwater knowledge is squat. :(

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you have enough room to experiment with your scape of you don't like how you're rocks are right now.

Without adding anything you could re-arrange to 2-3 islands each of a different height.

You'd be surprised how little you end up focused on the rocks after stuff grows in.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a hammer to my big rocks and glued them back into islands and structures of different heights. Took a while to get my design going, but it was fun trying to figure it out.

OP
OP
AlliRose907

AlliRose907

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stephj03 and FMF0331, The idea is to redo the rock, we just tossed it in the day we were trying to get the water in as well. Because I am allergic to bug stings, I am hesitant to get my hands in there and start rearranging things, plus I need to go grab more rock. I do keep several epipens in my house and vehicles (I'm that allergic) but I think I can wait until someone is available to help me, hubby, friend, whomever lol. My idea is to build for the specific corals and fish I have deemed "must haves" and then everything else needs to work within that window. And of course since it is previously used rock and been kept in water the whole time, I am discovering little mushrooms and encrusting corals that were left on the rocks that I have to figure out what to do with. But it was super exciting to find some in there! lol Its like a treasure hunt everyday finding things that are popping out of the back or underside of a rock to show their little fluorescing bodies to surprise me. Its definitely an exciting ride!

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ob gloves for livestock go to the arm pit and are sold at most livestock stores. Don't know if it's cheaper than Amazon or not.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch Bulk Reef Supply videos. They have a great series on start to finish. I also was fresh water since I could walk. Terrariums as well. My son got me to take the leap as I like many others thought salt was a Quantum Leap ( Pun Indented ). You are way ahead of the curve my impetuous friend. You may encounter problems. Watch the videos , and you will understand. If you do have a catastrophe don't give up. I had a real mess of a tank that my son bought. Took a long time to get it right, and now am starting on a new tank. Please be careful of the lights. That is what will cause your problems. Read threads or BRS videos on the subject. You may unwittily be encouraging the slickening algae growth experience

OP
OP
AlliRose907

AlliRose907

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch Bulk Reef Supply videos. They have a great series on start to finish. I also was fresh water since I could walk. Terrariums as well. My son got me to take the leap as I like many others thought salt was a Quantum Leap ( Pun Indented ). You are way ahead of the curve my impetuous friend. You may encounter problems. Watch the videos , and you will understand. If you do have a catastrophe don't give up. I had a real mess of a tank that my son bought. Took a long time to get it right, and now am starting on a new tank. Please be careful of the lights. That is what will cause your problems. Read threads or BRS videos on the subject. You may unwittily be encouraging the slickening algae growth experience
Yes! Thank you! I've been watching the 52 weeks of reef keeping although some of the stuff is still light-years beyond me and they talk SO fast I can hardly keep up. But I'm watching the whole thing and then gonna ask alllll the questions! Lol (after I've checked to see what's already here of course).
My friend ran a fish store for many years, but the rona shut them down unfortunately. He is a wealth of amazing knowledge! Just tossing out coral names left and right! I can't stump the man!!!

But yes, lights. Because there are several different corals who attached to my rocks, which lived in his trough style sump, I gotta use the lights because some of them are "super hard corals to grow" don't know what kind they are, but super cool looking. Plus several mushrooms have popped up in the last few days... he just frags stuff and any lil pieces he just let's attach to rocks, which I get to be the proud owner of and learn to care for, should they live!

OP
OP
AlliRose907

AlliRose907

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd post a pic of what I spent my night doing. I pray to God it's all sturdy. I tried for hours to get it so nothing fell. My friend will check next time he is over.
Also almost had my sump overflow while trying to get the pumps started back up! THAT was terrifying!! :eek: Made a frantic phone call, and the main pump must have been gunked up cause we popped the cover pulled out the impeller and washed and wiped everything off, got it back together, plugged it back in and it worked! Woohoo! Then my friend explained what I did wrong! Thank goodness! I don't want that happening again!

Tank wht lite sm.jpg

Last edited:

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is way cool rock. Ask your friend if it is possible to make your tank anti siphon. All that means is to extend your pipe that returns to the sump up to the top with a screen on it just a few inches below the top of the water level in the main tank. When you have to turn off the power, and or a power outage only a small amount of water drains into the sump, and if you do it correctly ie the pipe extension is not to deep in the main tank. The sump will not overflow. My new tank came with that as an option. So I can sleep at night

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back