My Saturday heart attack story regarding my wife

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added my wife to all of the groups I frequent on fb so I think it’s only appropriate to tell the story from today. Hanging out my coral traders and friends Tony and Matt at Matt’s house and my phone goes off with an apex alarm of *over 82 degrees F*. It’s 52 degrees today so I know something is off. I quickly say my goodbyes to those dudes and call my wife Katy. I ask her to go look at the tank and see if anything is unusual or acting up because I got an alarm on my app. Her response

“lemme go see, okay, uh…. The thing is curled.”

What thing?
What’s curled mean?
Am I having a heart attack right now?

With that as my only information I shot home with the speed of a wrasse being netted to find out my probe dropped calibration so it was leap frogging up with my heater. We are all good now and didn’t lose anything (lost a tank to 84-86 many years ago) and I decided to invite her to all my groups so she can now see that the “thing” was a rainbow bubble tip anemone and “curled” was it retracting into the rock.

Happy Saturday to y’all! I got my workout today

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad everything got sorted out without any losses. When I'm away on vacation my parents take care of the tank and everytime they do anything to it they take a quick video of the tank and send it to me. You could've had your wife send a picture of the "curled up thing".

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad everything got sorted out without any losses. When I'm away on vacation my parents take care of the tank and everytime they do anything to it they take a quick video of the tank and send it to me. You could've had your wife send a picture of the "curled up thing".

Just took this pic. 1) don’t judge our mess I just got married and we’re trying to unchristmas! Lol

2) even though I had access to this live video of good quality it still wasn’t enough for me to not panic

E9365915-EA94-4680-9990-E2C289B91787.png

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! My wife nicknames most things in my tank although she does know the names of a few corals. The BTA she calls "nipples"

I hate to take this down a weird road…. But I have been trading the baby nems that keep cloning off of my mother nem, and my main female clown sucks on all the tips of every nem in the tank. it’s very…. Uncomfortable when you’re both staring at each other during that.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad it all worked out :)

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad it all worked out :)

Not sure I’m out of the storm yet, because I don’t know why the probe would suddenly do what it did. We did go from defcon 1 to 5 though and I’m home to keep an eye.

Appreciate though, and I hope I made someone’s day. The things we do to keep a box of water

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do the alarms always go off when we're not home?! I totally understand your panic. I must admit that was a funny read! Thanks for the laugh and I'm glad everything seems to have worked out. :)

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it’s time for an ink bird.

I keep my heater’s internal thermostat 1 degree higher than what I set my apex to so that if it does go haywire the heater turns itself off.

SHINYSuccubus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a hilarious and gripping read - i’m so glad it turned out ok! I hate “heater disasters”, and i think having a tank means enduring one every few years. I have a heater in my sump and one in my tank, the tank heater is my backup. I’m in between tanks rn, bc my new tank is in the middle of assembly and the “assemblers” all came down with [mild cases] covid - however, about a month before i took down my old tank, my sump screwed up, the water flow levels went wonky, and the sump probe decided it was time to call in the cavalry. The tank got up to 93 degrees before it was all said and done and we lost our enormous and well loved hermit crab. The miracle was everything else, lived, including the anemone!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back