My Science Fair Expirement

Sooner Reefer

24g Aquapod
View Badges
Joined
Jul 30, 2008
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma City,OK
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My project is "Do plants grow in water with higher nitrates than without nitrates?"
It had to be in a question format but what it's basiclly showing is the plant's importance in the nitrate cycle. Since I'm more fimiliar with Saltwater aquariums than freshwater, I'm doing saltwater plant (cheato) rather than freshwater plants (though it applies more towards freshwater streams, rivers, and lakes).

Here's the set up:
4-2.5g Aquariums
20lbs of sand
18w fluorescent light

How I'm going to test this is put cheato in all 4 aquariums but 2 will have high nitrates and the others will not. I'll be measuring the growth of the plants and relate it to the level of nitrates.
Here's some pics:
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg


And here's the stand where they'll be probably set on:
005.jpg
 
Sounds good. It would be cool if you did another project to see which kind of SW macro algae pulls out nitrates the quickest. I'd like to know at least!
 
Yeah I know, I may this summer, I don't know. I'm interested in knowing also. But for now I think this will get me through and hopefully an A.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new