My seahorse and pipefish reef - Aquareef 300

Federico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Just thought I'd introduce myself in here! I'm Federico, live in Swansea (Wales , UK) and I've been keeping marines for 5-6 years. I have always been fascinated by seahorses and pipefish, so I have turned my tank into a safe reef for them and been quite successful so far! I am hoping to breed both seahorses and pipefish and I'll be turning to you for advice and support! But for now, here's my tank, currently stocking seahorses (Hippocampus Erectus), red-banded pipefish, dragon pipefish, flagtail pipefish, spotted filefish, mandarin, blue-cheek goby, clown fish and cromies. I'll keep you posted!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426078748.594254.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426078789.226923.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426078918.795196.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426078964.817698.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426078992.512609.jpg

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! What do you do for flow? Do you feed them or just let them find their own food? Thanks for sharing:)

goldy26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. I've been toying with the idea of a seahorse/pipefish tank. How to you like that filefish in there with them? Any problems? I love the way they look.

OP
OP
F

Federico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, glad you like! I have a normal reef flow, but the top pumps are set on 1-minute intermittent... Although a lot of people say that seahorses need low flow rate, I read other articles saying the opposite, and when I tried this I found that the seahorses actually are doing very well and the flow helps the reef and keeps of the excess food moving in the tank. I tend to feed all other fish first then target-feed the seahorses one-by-one... It works for me because at least I know that they are getting the right amount of food, but I am thinking about training them to use a feeding station. They eat frozen krill, mysis, and yesterday even chased and ate some frozen squid, so I'm well impressed! The filefish is awesome, when I first saw this fish I was a beginner at marines and everyone told me how difficult they are to keep because they won't eat much. However, a couple of weeks back I saw them in a really good shop and was told (and shown) them eating marine flakes. So I convinced myself to get one and what actually happened is that he won't eat flake, but has started shooling with the cromies and he eats pretty much anything! I read that they aren't reef-safe as they'll eat corals, but he hasn't even been close to them. I'll update this if anything changes! ;)

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Another seahorse keeper! How long have you had seahorses? :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back