My semi new reef!

TDWitDaReefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all first post in the community happy to be here! Just started a 65 gallon AIO about 2 months ago and here we are.
Aquamax In-sump skimmer
Matrix in a filter bag for bio filtration
Unknown pump for return
One flaming Mohicans zoa not doing too hot from the looks of it :/
One toadstool
One leather came on live rock and never opened
One bullet hole clownfish because I believe she killed the other one as they weren’t mated and no other fish died when the other clown died.
One yellow dotted goby
One sexy shrimp matched with the goby
Some astrea snails and turbos
Salinity at 1.025 ammonia at .23 nitrite 0 nitrate at 5-10
Hope to be adding many more pictures. Just a few questions while I’m here though, do my zoas look normal? Is the white algae growing on some of my live rock normal? How’s the tank look? Thanks all and have a great day:)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
T

TDWitDaReefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get that ammonia to zero quickly. I’d do a water change immediately. Did the clown die just recently to cause the ammonia spike or has it been at that level the whole time.
Ammonia was at 0 and when the clown died I’ve been trying to get it down since, had a huge ammonia spike to like 3-4 ppm and have been getting it down since, did an immediate 20% water change with prime to condition been a week or two since and have done a 10% water change since

OP
OP
T

TDWitDaReefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

The zoas look like they are reaching for light quite a bit. What lights are you using?
Aquatic life edge WiFi, but it’s the freshwater unit so not properly tuned for the spectrum needed for saltwater, planning on an upgrade soon, but it’s a 200 dollar light so I figured it’d hold me over till an upgrade, I only have blue spectrum on 100 red and white I have at 0

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic life edge WiFi, but it’s the freshwater unit so not properly tuned for the spectrum needed for saltwater, planning on an upgrade soon, but it’s a 200 dollar light so I figured it’d hold me over till an upgrade, I only have blue spectrum on 100 red and white I have at 0
I would say that's definitely the issue with the zoas reaching. Having a freshwater spectrum will also promote plant growth including algea.

OP
OP
T

TDWitDaReefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that's definitely the issue with the zoas reaching. Having a freshwater spectrum will also promote plant growth including algea.
Gotcha I didn’t even think about that spectrum encouraging algae, do you think I should add some of the other light spectrums like the white light and red light? Thanks for the help:)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back