My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, I have thought long and hard about posting something about this because it is not reefing related in the slightest.

However, it is something that has effected me significantly and I feel it needs to be said as a reminder to all that life is fragile.

Now, some of you may or may not know that I work as a Conductor/Locomotive Engineer at Canadian Pacific Railway. On Decemeber 29th 2022, I was the Conductor on a west bound train heading through Banff, Alberta. A route that I take multiple times a week as part of my job.

This day was different. As we were going through town we ended up striking and killing a young woman who was walking down the tracks. Inspite of every attempt we made to warn her, it was all in vain.

It has been a struggle for me to this day, and it's something that is always on my mind. Especially when I get back on a train, any train, in any direction. Whenever I see someone attempt to run infront of us just to avoid the (usually) short wait, pedestrian or vehicle alike.

So I am here to say this. Please PLEASE PLEASE, do not try and beat the train. Do not try and walk down the tracks, or take selfies on the rails, do not walk over that rail bridge for the view. It is INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS.

Ignoring the fact that it is trespassing on private property and atleast in Canada will earn you a $600 fine at a minimum. It's risking your life. Is your life not more valuable than waiting for a few minutes? Or more valuable than spending the extra time to walk to a safe location to cross the tracks or a road?

Think about your actions and the effects they might have on others. That train you ran infront of, more than likely has a crew member on it that has been through an incident when someone didn't make it across in time. And just because you made it, doesn't mean you didn't just give someone on that crew a panic attack.

For us, it's just a matter of time. Eventually we will hit someone. And it's not a matter of if, but when is it going to happen. And it is certainly greatly appreciated when members of the public just stop. Instead of flirting with death, that moment you chose to just stop and let us go by, spares one of us that moment. And maybe, JUST MAYBE, we can get to a point where we can tell new hires that hitting someone is a rare occourance and they might not have to go through that in there career.

Parents, teach your kids, friends tell your other friends, family members remind your other family members.

Look, Listen, Live.

She was only 19, had her whole life infront of her.

No short cut is worth giving up your life for.
Thanks for this sobering reminder that life is indeed fragile. I'm so sorry that you've lived this experience. So heartbreaking.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this sobering reminder that life is indeed fragile. I'm so sorry that you've lived this experience. So heartbreaking.

Thanks Daniel, it is a horrible thing to have to experience. And something that no one should ever have to go through, Railroader, first responder, or family member.

And heartbreaking to say the least, such a senseless loss of bright young life. :disappointed-face:

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that is heavy stuff. I am sorry that you have had to deal with all of this. I can't imagine having to deal with all the emotions that you have to be feeling.

Thanks for the reminder that life is indeed fragile and should not be taken for granted.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nightmare.

Had a co-worker, back in the 90's, walked to work every day. Was blocked by a slow moving train, decided to climb between cars. Slipped. Lost his leg at the knee.

You can't win a fight with against that kind of weight. Don't try.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that is heavy stuff. I am sorry that you have had to deal with all of this. I can't imagine having to deal with all the emotions that you have to be feeling.

Thanks for the reminder that life is indeed fragile and should not be taken for granted.

It's hard, but there are programs in place to help those that go through it thankfully. I am lucky to atleast have that, it's been a great thing to have.

And I just hope that maybe someone reads this and it either reminds them or someone they love that it's not worth the risk and they think twice about doing something so dangerous in the future.

Nightmare.

Had a co-worker, back in the 90's, walked to work every day. Was blocked by a slow moving train, decided to climb between cars. Slipped. Lost his leg at the knee.

You can't win a fight with against that kind of weight. Don't try.

It is ALWAYS a battle you will lose unfortunately. They are lucky to have gotten away with just a missing limb. Even we don't cross over moving cars, no matter what the speed is.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something a little more positive, this little man is growing like a weed!
Resized_received_138197982534709.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now That is a good looking Frag!! He looks like he's ready for the NHL. Sorry you had to deal with this. You must have some beautiful sights from the train. What a great office you have.

Yeah he definately puts me to shame:grinning-squinting-face:

And thank you. I work on what I feel is one of the most beautiful subdivisions in the world. And I count myself VERY lucky to have this as my career.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many are curious as to how my tank is doing. It is currently an Aptasia breeding ground. Or forest of aiptasia, or aiptasia garden. However you'd like to describe it. It's a nightmare and looks horrendous.

Due to a second little one on the way, I have been "asked" to move the tank downstairs to the basement to make more room in the living room. Currently the basement is unfinished but that is all in the process of being changed. Starting this week the fun has begun. This is the new home where it will end up.
Screenshot_20230406_212945_Gallery.jpg

When the tank is moved it will go through a reset, it will also be getting a new stand. A taller one given the sump will be moved under the tank and I'll need much more room to work under. I'm still in the process of coming up with a design that will work long term. I have A LOT of stuff I will need to cram under there and I am rather concerned about the closed loop plumbing interfearing with access to the sump. Lots to figure out in the next couple months.

Last edited:

Fishy Jacket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have thought long and hard about posting something about this because it is not reefing related in the slightest.

However, it is something that has effected me significantly and I feel it needs to be said as a reminder to all that life is fragile.

Now, some of you may or may not know that I work as a Conductor/Locomotive Engineer at Canadian Pacific Railway. On Decemeber 29th 2022, I was the Conductor on a west bound train heading through Banff, Alberta. A route that I take multiple times a week as part of my job.

This day was different though. As we were going through town we ended up striking and killing a young woman who was walking down the tracks. Inspite of every attempt we made to warn her, it was all in vain.

It has been a struggle for me to this day, and it's something that is always on my mind. Especially when I get back on a train, any train, in any direction. Whenever I see someone attempt to run infront of us just to avoid the (usually) short wait, pedestrian or vehicle alike.

So I am here to say this. Please PLEASE PLEASE, do not try and beat the train. Do not try and walk down the tracks, or take selfies on the rails, do not walk over that rail bridge for the view. It is INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS.

Ignoring the fact that it is trespassing on private property and atleast in Canada will earn you a $600 fine at a minimum. It's risking your life. Is your life not more valuable than waiting for a few minutes? Or more valuable than spending the extra time to walk to a safe location to cross the tracks or a road? Or maybe finding somewhere else to get that "cool" picture?

Think about your actions and the effects they might have on others. That train you ran infront of, more than likely has a crew member on it that has been through an incident when someone didn't make it across in time. And just because you made it, doesn't mean you didn't just give someone on that crew a panic attack.

For us, it's just a matter of time. Eventually we will hit someone. And it's not a matter of if, but when is it going to happen. And it is certainly greatly appreciated when members of the public just stop. Instead of flirting with death, that moment you chose to just stop and let us go by, spares one of us that moment. And maybe, JUST MAYBE, we can get to a point where we can tell new hires that hitting someone is a rare occourance and they might not have to go through that in there career.

Parents, teach your kids, friends tell your other friends, family members remind your other family members.

Look, Listen, Live.

No short cut is ever worth giving up your life for.
Wow, such a sad story and thinks for sharing. A great reminder to us all.

Aside: I have never taken a train based vacation. However, I have heard the one to take is Banff. Does the scenery ever get old?

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never taken a train based vacation. However, I have heard the one to take is Banff. Does the scenery ever get old?

Never. Never ever. I have been at this job now for 6 1/2 years and I when I look out the windows it blows me away every time.

The Rocky Mountaineer is an excellent thing to experience. Definately pricey. But you get to see and experience A LOT. They also have many options for trips 2 day all the way up to I believe 13 days. You get a mix of the train and hotels, other excursions as well. If you go, go earlier in the season. You will have the best chance of seeing all the wildlife as well as snow still up on the mountain peaks.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Josh, sorry to read what you are dealing with.
Nice to see frag #1 ,little G, growing up fast ,chip off the ole block...:)
Congrats on frag #2 coming soon...:)

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Josh, sorry to read what you are dealing with.
Nice to see frag #1 ,little G, growing up fast ,chip off the ole block...:)
Congrats on frag #2 coming soon...:)

Hey Frank!

I did get your message earlier, I was busy at the time and didn't see you call. And thank you, things are much better now thankfully and I can atleast talk about it now. Which is good, it's good to be able to talk about these things. I am sure most people never get to see or hear the other side of these tragic stories.

And thanks! It is nice to see G growing up, he is already more mature than I am which isn't saying much, but still.

We are SUPER EXCITED to have little one #2 on the way. Ashley is more excited to have this pregnancy over and done with than anything else lol! July 12th is the date but I seriously doubt she will last that long :thinking-face:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any date between the 3rd and 10th of July ,would be perfect, I'd never lose that date...;)
Really glad to see you back ,been meaning to call you for months,
poor J ,have asked him for your # at least 3-4 x now...:rolleyes: just never knew when was rt time to call
then misplaced it , rinse and repeat...
Welcome to throw a call my way anytime ,24 /7...:)

Fishy Jacket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never. Never ever. I have been at this job now for 6 1/2 years and I when I look out the windows it blows me away every time.

The Rocky Mountaineer is an excellent thing to experience. Definately pricey. But you get to see and experience A LOT. They also have many options for trips 2 day all the way up to I believe 13 days. You get a mix of the train and hotels, other excursions as well. If you go, go earlier in the season. You will have the best chance of seeing all the wildlife as well as snow still up on the mountain peaks.
Nice! What date range you recommend? Yeah, I know this is off topic. Last question. Really. LOL

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This day was different though. As we were going through town we ended up striking and killing a young woman who was walking down the tracks. Inspite of every attempt we made to warn her, it was all in vain.

Ignoring the fact that it is trespassing on private property and atleast in Canada will earn you a $600 fine at a minimum. It's risking your life. Is your life not more valuable than waiting for a few minutes? Or more valuable than spending the extra time to walk to a safe location to cross the tracks or a road? Or maybe finding somewhere else to get that "cool" picture?

Look, Listen, Live.

No short cut is ever worth giving up your life for.
So sorry to read this. Very heartbreaking for the lady who lost her life, as well as for her family and friends losing a loved one. Also I’m sorry you’re having to cope with this tragedy as well in a different way. My father in law was an engineer up until he retired a few years ago and he’s had this same experience and it really hurt him and caused him a lot of grief as well. Praying for you to have peace.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many are curious as to how my tank is doing. It is currently an Aptasia breeding ground.
Just FYI: Biota is breeding and selling Aiptasia eating Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus) at a reasonable price. Fixed my Aiptasia garden up right quick.

Enjoy the reset :D

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh, your son is just as handsome as can be. ADORABLE! Congrats on baby on the way!
I can say I decided to embrace the aptasia experience. Learning to just learn from the entire reef experience. Watching them disappear from shrimp was a different exciting thing to just experience.

Sorry for that train track walker, and the pain it has caused you. So sad for every person touched by that. But you especially. I can not imagine the horror of knowing what was coming and and trauma it left behind.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back