OP
JSB

JSB

Usually Confused
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rainy Sunday afternoon with not much else to do, I put together this video without much thought to shot selection, editing, or soundtrack. Regardless, enjoy. This is my cube at about 8 moths old.
[video=youtube;fT8Q4DuL-Dw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fT8Q4DuL-Dw[/video]

OP
OP
JSB

JSB

Usually Confused
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like your radion vs past lighting solutions?

This tank was started with the Radion, and has never had anything else. My previous 75g, which I tore down in 2002, had dual 12KK Metal Halides, with standard FL Actinnic. Given 10 years has elapsed between the technology, it is not a fair comparison, but I believe some of these things, if not all of them still hold true:

• The MHs need bulbs replaced annually if not sooner, where the Radion is something like 10 years.
  • The MHs consume something like double the electricity adding to the electricity bill.
  • The MHs produce a considerable amount of heat, and often require a chiller or a fan with a considerable evap to keep tank cool. My temp swings with the Radion are about 1-1.5 degrees a day, due to the temp of the room. Whether or not the light is on.
  • The cooling apparatus for the MHs often add to the ambient noise making the tank even louder. I cannot hear the Radion fan.
  • The MHs have two states, on and off, and need warm up and cool down times, not so with the LEDs. I can select any intensity between 5% and 100%. I can acclimate my corals by placing the where I want them the first time, and then adjusting the lighting schedule, as opposed to moving them around the tank. You can also simulate sunrise an sunset, not just the abrupt "on/off, now it is day/now it is night" typically lighting scheme.
  • The MHs have one color, plus actinic supplement. The Radion is infinitely adjustable from a color standpoint. You can quickly and easily try different colors to see what makes you corals pop.
  • The Radion is small and aesthetically pleasing. MHs are larger, and more intrusive. As this is not in a canopy, style matters.
  • The Radion comes with a built in controller that allows you to controlled everything about you light. MHs generally come with a on/off switch.
  • MHs are more expensive. By the time I could have bought a comparable MH rig (~$250), got a chiller to keep my temps in line (~$450), replaced the bulbs 10 times (10 years) (~$600), and paid the extra energy bills in my home (assuming $10/mo or ~$1200/10 years), I would have paid for the Radion ($750) many times over. (These numbers are gross estimates only, but you see my point)
Like MH, LEDs grow corals. I get good growth and good color. If I had a good working MH rig, I might keep it. However, at the first major repair, it would be replaced. I had the luxury this time around to start new with no baggage, and I could not be happier. If I started over, I would do the same thing again.

Your mileage may vary...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great update video!

OP
OP
JSB

JSB

Usually Confused
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is picture I snapped that I liked enough to make my desktop image:
IMG_1856.jpg

OP
OP
JSB

JSB

Usually Confused
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few updated photos. Sorry for the poor cell phone quality, and the round edge of my floating viewport that makes it into a couple of the shots.
20120818_151740.jpg
20120818_151749.jpg
20120818_151759.jpg
20120818_153815.jpg
20120818_150434.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back