My speculation: Vibrant has some fluconazole in it...

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that there are algae eating microbes but a completely indiscriminate form that eats any algae it comes across seems unlikely to me. The biology of different algaes seems too diverse for that.
I thought that they claim vibrant contains a community of microbes (as in products like microbacter 7). If so, it probably is to think that even with a few microbes you could hit the majority of common algae.

After all, the bacteria don't need to eat the algae, they can simply eat a molecular component of the algae (e.g a commonly used cell wall glycoprotein or polysaccharide).

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were that easy then why does everyone's tanks contain algae in varying degrees continuously. They supposedly discovered these magic microbes in a typical aquarium after all. And why aren't these organisms able to survive in the very same environment they are supposedly designed to feed in. People have to dose Vibrant continuously even though there's still plenty of algae left in the tank.

Last edited:

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see anything listed or mentioned about Reef Tanks with Refugium's and using Vibrant, I would assume it would kill off your Refugium, anybody know?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were that easy then why does everyone's tanks contain algae in varying degrees continuously. They supposedly discovered these magic microbes in a typical aquarium after all. And why aren't these organisms able to survive in the very same environment they are supposedly designed to feed in.
I agree that if they discovered them in aquaria then they should be able to reproduce in aquaria... now I suppose a counter argument could be that if they are waterborne then they may simply be removed by the protein skimmers or UV sterilizers run on many tanks...but It still seems off that they both "came from aquaria" and need to be re-dosed on a regular basis. If they came from aquaria, then are the tanks that they came from sparkling clean?

I have no idea if this is really a bacterial product, but I don't think it's fair to say that it COULDN'T be.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my understanding that a few reef clubs had vibrant tested and found that it contained a known algaecide. I think the thread may be on here somewhere.
any chance you could find these threads? it's an interesting idea that does fit the information we have.

I'm still stunned that nobody has done aquabiomics on the stock vibrant solution. @AquaBiomics ??

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all tanks have said equipment yet Vibrant still needs to be dosed regularly. I don't doubt that it contains bacteria (like everything else) I simply doubt that it is bacterial based for the reasons we both agree are suspicious and unlikely at best.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any chance you could find these threads? it's an interesting idea that does fit the information we have.

I'm still stunned that nobody has done aquabiomics on the stock vibrant solution. @AquaBiomics ??
I can try to find them. I think I stumbled across the link posted by another member in the main Vibrant thread. His reef club was one that had it tested.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be surprised if they are all the same, or just variable dose of the same thing.
I believe the company itself has stated that they are different concentrations of the same product as you suggested. Again, doesn't exactly suggest microbial but it does scream chemical.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all tanks have said equipment yet Vibrant still needs to be dosed regularly. I don't doubt that it contains bacteria (like everything else) I simply doubt that it is bacterial based for the reasons we both agree are suspicious and unlikely at best.
Yeah-- it does seem off that they would need to be dosed if a tank doesn't have that equipment. The Dr. Tim's version are bacteria that can live a while but not divide in marine environments, which makes reasonable sense. But as you pointed out the Vibrant folks claim that this is from marine aquaria.

I'm super curious.

I will say that I use it and it works for me. I have no idea how it works, but I am pleased that it's here. If there is a MSDS available, it would certainly require them to include algaecide.

That is a category that the EPA certainly does regulate.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another interesting point is that if such a potent organism(s) existed naturally they would have evolved alongside their food source. The food source would have evolved defences as well. However, algae across the board seems defenseless against this product. Doesn't strike me as a typical reaction to an organism the algae has been in contact with naturally over time.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another interesting point is that if such a potent organism(s) existed naturally they would have evolved alongside their food source. The food source would have evolved defences as well. However, algae across the board seems defenseless against this product. Doesn't strike me as a typical reaction to an organism the algae has been in contact with naturally over time.
That could just be a matter of concentration-- if it is a microbe, dosing it in a comparably small tank might just push things in favor of the microbe. A slingshot isnt typically lethal, but enough slingshot hits certainly will be.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put some vibrant under a microscope, there is no bacteria - you can see bacteria in real bacteria products (like the ones with shelf lives or that need to be kept cold). They claim that you have to put it into the tank and culture it while in other breaths saying that it cannot reproduce or culture in the tank and you have to constantly add it. Whatever they say, it walks, acts and talks like API AlgaeFix - I would start there for your active ingredient. I don't care if they ever tell anybody what is in it - that is their business. Nobody gets mad at Seachem for not saying what is in Fuel, or Acropower or whatever or any other magical potions... I hate that they lie about it.

There are a few bacteriologists on this board (like real pHd) that laugh at their claims too.

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put some vibrant under a microscope, there is no bacteria - you can see bacteria in real bacteria products (like the ones with shelf lives or that need to be kept cold). They claim that you have to put it into the tank and culture it while in other breaths saying that it cannot reproduce or culture in the tank and you have to constantly add it. Whatever they say, it walks, acts and talks like API AlgaeFix - I would start there for your active ingredient. I don't care if they ever tell anybody what is in it - that is their business. Nobody gets mad at Seachem for not saying what is in Fuel, or Acropower or whatever or any other magical potions... I hate that they lie about it.

There are a few bacteriologists on this board (like real pHd) that laugh at their claims too.

Ah, was waiting for you to chime in. It’s interesting you don’t mention anymore the analysis that you supposedly did or your club “has done” that you love to tote about? This isn’t rocket science you all. If you search on the internet, you can see exactly what is in vibrant from all the tests and cultures that have been done.

B2772408-FC6D-4C1A-A6F6-1B27D8B0655E.png

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More lies. I never said that our club did this. One man did - he owns a forensic lab. You cannot get this right either. Details matter and you never seem to get them right - these posts are all out there for all to see. I have the assay. Don't worry, I will never post it (to everybody - don't send me any PMs since I won't there either). Like I have always said, I have no venom if you don't want to say what is in it... but you should just shut up like most everybody else that sells supplements. Dude knows exactly what is in ChemiClean and a few other things too and we never post about that either.

You could stop all of this by posting a MDS, species names of this alien bacteria that is unknown to everybody or anything else instead of this kind of look-over-here bait-and-switch stuff. Or just stop posting. Most of us have kids that can make a graph like that - I think that Product 1 is likely bubble bath, Product 2 is a PB&J sandwich, Product 3 is some Play Doh... is Kool Aid one of the others (actually, that might work to grow just bacteria). I could make a graph that is even more impressive with just ethanol for my product and actual names of other products... of course those bacteria will also will not only eat certain kinds of algae and refuse to reproduce in our tanks either.

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t follow you close enough to know exactly who produced what results, but you sure blasted that you know someone who or some clubs that did, without ever actually showing whatever you supposedly saw, which seems pretty weird for how hard you like to claim we’re false advertising. Let’s just see it then.

I certainly can give you a generic rundown of what’s in vibrant, but why would I on a public forum? Just seems so odd to me that if people actually looked on the internet, they would see exactly what’s in vibrant. I’m not going to spell anything out. That graph was done by @taricha if you really care to know.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you should know if you are going to post and whine about it. I remember (more than me actually) all of the BS that you post. It is your product - do what you want with it, just don't expect smart people to believe what you post about it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back