My speculation: Vibrant has some fluconazole in it...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't see this either...

Whether QAC is the active ingredient or not is irrelevant to me. I want to manage my aquarium in a particular way. UWC pushing the bacterial component in their marketing without even listing QAC in their ingredients list is deceptive and has led to me adding something I did not want to use and taking a risk that I didn't realise I had taken and therefore wasn't considering how to manage.

@UWC I've tagged you a few times now and I certainly have not seen anything where you categorically confirm or deny QAC other than alluding to having the answer but not wanting to tell us just yet. Well I think now is the time to enlighten us.
Agree - however - the question is always - what is the 'active ingredient'. Right? A small amount of QAC - is not the same as algaefix - with 4.5 percent. Most of this thread (Except the experiments done by @taricha) - are rank speculation. including mine - except - I've also got a BS in microbiology - and have both criticized and praised vibrant. My guess is that the amount of QAC in vibrant (despite @taricha's experiments - is not the same. There are many reasons for this opinion.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DrZoidburg you are posting information I already told you was wrong in PM.

20211212_170558.jpg

Delete your post. It might confuse others.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A "guess" is no longer necessary. See post 301. The size of the "quat" response is the same.
@taricha said:

"I used a LaMotte QAC titration kit. The indicator gives the "quat" response to both AlgaeFix and Vibrant, but the titration step does not work because precipitate forms instead. So I did analysis of the color change from the quat indicator solution to see if I could find a nice dose-response relationship to AlgaeFix and/or Vibrant."

1. Why did a precipitate form?
2. Is the test designed for use in salt water?
3. This test measures up to 500 ppm. A one percent solution is 10,000 ppm. A 4.5 percent solution is 45,000 ppm.

I apologize - I do not think you're doing the testing completely properly. I do think you're doing the best you can. I fully believe there is QAC in Vibrant at some concentration - I do not believe that the tests done prove that the concentration is the same/similar - nor the same compound.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha said:

"I used a LaMotte QAC titration kit. The indicator gives the "quat" response to both AlgaeFix and Vibrant, but the titration step does not work because precipitate forms instead. So I did analysis of the color change from the quat indicator solution to see if I could find a nice dose-response relationship to AlgaeFix and/or Vibrant."

3. This test measures up to 500 ppm. A one percent solution is 10,000 ppm. A 4.5 percent solution is 45,000 ppm.

I apologize - I do not think you're doing the testing completely properly. I do think you're doing the best you can. I fully believe there is QAC in Vibrant at some concentration - I do not believe that the tests done prove that the concentration is the same/similar - nor the same compound.

What “popular supplement” did you dose?

Asking for a friend

Never mind
Found it…..It was vibrant

Last edited:

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
less posting, more reading.
1. probably this
This paper[pdf] shows how a quat shifts the spectrum of (basic) methyl orange to the left (opposite from pH change), and how a higher dose of the quat causes the shift to revert almost all the way back (see Fig1). AlgaeFix shows this effect and has no "additives" just a polyquat and water. Vibrant shows the exact same effect. (Bonus: also in the paper is an explanation for why some quats can cause the titration step of the Lamotte kit to fail and form brown precipitate.)
2. who said anything about saltwater for that kit?
3. check the units in the post.

I do think you're doing the best you can.
Lol, ok. But you think I blew the concentration, and didn't scan over several orders of magnitude to find the relevant concentration for a linear response, and did a kit in saltwater that's clearly meant for normal water testing. I'll try no to be a little insulted at what you think my best is. :p

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm

Attachments

• P04 test 15ppm ascorbic acid method.jpg
    P04 test 15ppm ascorbic acid method.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 42
  • po4 test kit precipitate amino acid complex.jpg
    po4 test kit precipitate amino acid complex.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 44
  • aminovsreagent.jpg
    aminovsreagent.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 44

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

What “popular supplement” did you dose?

Asking for a friend

Never mind
Found it…..It was vibrant
Yes - If you had paid more attention, you would have seen that I've written about it multiple times IN THIS THREAD lol. That has nothing to do with the comments I made about QAC or not being present.

But - just to recap - I used vibrant in my freshwater tank - it worked like a charm. In my reef tank - I used it to kill hair algae - after an apex malfunction - and multiple deaths. It seemed to affect both soft and stony corals. I would not use it again. I'm not a fanboy for Vibrant - never have been.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. probably this

Lol, ok. But you think I blew the concentration, and didn't scan over several orders of magnitude to find the relevant concentration for a linear response, and did a kit in saltwater that's clearly meant for normal water testing. I'll try no to be a little insulted at what you think my best is. :p
Great - take what I said in the spirit in which it was meant - which was not to insult you. You weren't clear in your post - and you're trying to make me look bad. If you want to explain how you did something - just explain it - I asked a question.

I've said it before - I'll say it again. You may very well be correct in everything you say. The results I have seen do not convince me that you have proven that the same chemical thats in algaefix is in vibrant - nor that the concentrations are the same.

You gloss over the question about how vibrant gets away with having supposedly the same ingredients as algaefix - yet Algaefix has an EPA permit.

You also gloss over the answer the company has given you.

You yourself acknowledge that Vibrant contains bacteria - at least that was my impression from the beginning of the thread when you were posting.

Where is the huge disagreement here? I said - I believe Vibrant contains QAC. I'm not sure you can say anything about the concentration. Thats it.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. probably this

@taricha don't let them get under your skin. WE all see what they are doing. You keep doing what you do best. You're the only one that has proven anything.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it was a bacterial biproduct it would be hugely trace amounts hardly toxic.@MnFish1 this is proof of concept that amino acids can complex into insoluble amino acid Molybdenum phosphate compounds

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even if it was a bacterial biproduct it would be hugely trace amounts hardly toxic.@MnFish1 this is proof of concept that amino acids can complex into insoluble amino acid Molybdenum phosphate compounds
OK - but what does that have to do with the discussion? I believe that Even Taricha has stated that there are bacteria in Vibrant (or at least spores)
Yes - If you had paid more attention, you would have seen that I've written about it multiple times IN THIS THREAD lol. That has nothing to do with the comments I made about QAC or not being present.

But - just to recap - I used vibrant in my freshwater tank - it worked like a charm. In my reef tank - I used it to kill hair algae - after an apex malfunction - and multiple deaths. It seemed to affect both soft and stony corals. I would not use it again. I'm not a fanboy for Vibrant - never have been.
Oh - and PS - in Vibrants defense - I used a higher than recommended dose - and believe (but not sure) - that I had gotten the fish only version as compared to the reef version. BUT - it does bring up a question for @taricha - I guess. Have you tested the different versions? In theory, you should be able to see a different amount of QAC in each type - if indeed QAC was the active ingredient?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In my defense….It’s impossible for someone as dumb as me to remember what each person posted or didn’t post on a 20 page thread. At least I went back edited it.

90% of the info/data on this thread is way over my dumb head. Since you’re a microbiologist, and I’m sorry if this is the dumbest question asked so far, but what else could kill algae, and corals in such small doses but not harm fish, inverts, etc

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was said earlier it was observed using a phosphate checker. (a precipitate with matching description) as well as when using lamotte test which I have documents that indicate one of the reagents can also do this with amino acids

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my defense….It’s impossible for someone as dumb as me to remember what each person posted or didn’t post on a 20 page thread. At least I went back edited it.

90% of the info/data on this thread is way over my dumb head. Since you’re a microbiologist, and I’m sorry if this is the dumbest question asked so far, but what else could kill algae, and corals in such small doses but not harm fish, inverts, etc

Antoine Dodson Reaction GIF

You know i had to. I couldn't resist. :D

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

No one said you were dumb - but - you have to admit the way you worded your first post was a little 'attacking'. Right? Of course I don't hold anyone responsible for remembering anything:)

BUT - to answer your question. 1) it could be a direct toxic effect of 'something' in the bottle. 2) it could have been coincidence (I don't think so) - 3) it could have been nutrient related - i.e. bacteria using up nutrients - which in my tank tend to run 'low'. It could have been that I used the incorrect dose.

BUT - it wasn't overnight that I had problems with coral - it was over perhaps a week or so. Second - the reason I wouldn't use Vibrant again is not necessarily a total indictment of them - as I think I overdosed it - but its my philosophy to avoid dosing of any products - as it seems that every time I do - it causes more problems than was designed to help.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I don't now why I am getting a lot of hate. I am only using my brain and trying to think objectively for a solution. Also note in a pm before I was ever accused of anything ridiculous. I have conveyed that what I think one is doing is not invalid or wrong in anyway. Only that I disagree for my own reasons. Also note I am not paid by anyone. Nor have I ever used this product. I do wonder if any has measured orp in bad events.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 56 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 28.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back