OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Two - three days or when I notice the established fish aren't paying the box any attention any more

Thanks. I will have to look into making one or see if I can find a deal on one.

Going to start making the 30g water to do a water change tomorrow.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
corals were looking pretty good this morning. Not getting the colors I want but I think I found a couple issues on why.

First I realized half of my bulbs are over 15 months old (so stupid of me).
Second the TDS is 2, man the DI resin is running out quick but luckily it only costs $13 to refill them.
So I just ordered 4 more bulbs, 1 coral plus and 4 blue plus and 2 DI resin refills

Alk is steady around 7.3-7.7 with mostly being 7.7 everytime I test. Only thing I do not like is I have not had to increase the 2 part dosing, still only dosing 24 ml a day. I am going to test my phosphates and nitrates tonight. I think they are too low for my liking and that is why I am getting the pale colors from my SPS. I am feeding flakes 4 times through an auto feeder, and then I am also feeding 3 cubes twice a day. So 6 cubes a day and feeding flakes 4 times but yet I have a hard time getting phosphates up. I only have a skimmer and cheato too.

Think I need to add some more fish, looking to add wrasses (will have to catch the green wrasse which I should do anyways) and possibly adding like 10-15 blue chromis.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to think I am nutrient poor too[...]I am beginning to do water changes every week and that is actually when the dinos started, so that makes me think even more that I am nutrient poor. My nitrate was 4 yesterday and phosphate was 0.027 with HANNA ULR

;StigWe pretty much called it;Stig on 6/21. ;)

I think I neglected to post this helpful link:
A Nitrate Dosing Calculator For Better Tank Health (And Better Coral Color!)

You can follow similar advice for PO4 levels....target 0.10 ppm if you're still trying to suppress dino's.

I might've already posted this one for dino's:
Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
;StigWe pretty much called it;Stig on 6/21. ;)

I think I neglected to post this helpful link:
A Nitrate Dosing Calculator For Better Tank Health (And Better Coral Color!)

You can follow similar advice for PO4 levels....target 0.10 ppm if you're still trying to suppress dino's.

I might've already posted this one for dino's:
Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Thank you!

I am feeding so much but still cant get the nutrient up. I am gonna have to go another route but I am scared to add chemicals in like that.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

I am feeding so much but still cant get the nutrient up. I am gonna have to go another route but I am scared to add chemicals in like that.

Understandable, but keep in mind it's a short-term measure. Also keep in mind these are nothing more than plant fertilizers...not even fancy ones. :) :)

Try reading through that dino thread cuz quite a few folks have done it at this point. Reading their experiences might help too.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Understandable, but keep in mind it's a short-term measure. Also keep in mind these are nothing more than plant fertilizers...not even fancy ones. :) :)

Try reading through that dino thread cuz quite a few folks have done it at this point. Reading their experiences might help too.

I did try the stump remover to raise the nitrate and after that is when I had a huge problem with my sps and I have heard some bad experiences too. I am sure it is fine as hundreds use it but at this point dont wanna risk it. luckily the dinos seems to be gone (knock on wood) however the corals are a lot more pale then I would like

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So is this dinos or another kind of algae? Just tested phosphate and it was actually a lot higher then I thought, it was 0.07 and nitrates were between 4-8

2887837fa31a877b4535867624d6e7a9.jpg

366e02a7ad17b4f878aa573a5e5c34cd.jpg

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like it to me also. Mine didn't have many bubbles but I confirmed with microscope. I did peroxide to rid of it.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like it. Are there any bubbles?

looks like it to me also. Mine didn't have many bubbles but I confirmed with microscope. I did peroxide to rid of it.

Doesnt have many bubbles but I am pretty positive it is dinos. I am going to use Seachem flourish very slowly and try to raise my phosphates to fight them and see how they do.
I don't wanna do peroxide with all the SPS I have in the tank. I know people how had success but unless the Dinos starts taking over my SPS, I wont go to the extreme. I am going to try to do the nutrient route first and see what happens.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I understand your hesitation with the peroxide. I have 99% sps and didn't have any issues.

I am going to try this for a little longer before I go with peroxide but for informational purposes. How much did you do and how often?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, did you dose in the sump?
When I did mine I dosed it the furthest place possible from the corals so I dosed it in my overflow.
This way the peroxide has time to dessipate before the corals are involved.
And even that is prolly over doing it as long as you are not spraying the corals directly with peroxide there will be on Ill effect besides the cleanest water ever seen.

Nothing to be scared about if u do it right 1ml per ever ten gallons is nothing.

U would rather add something like seachums flourish which u have no idea what's in it instead of peroxide which is only water with one more part oxygen because of ur sps. I don't understand why people are scared of peroxide people dose it everyday to make the water as clean as can be and the don't dose the punny 3% peroxide we have they dose the 17%. Look at broafields tank he has one I forget what they are called.

Anyway it will be cheaper and better to do the peroxide way but u do what u want it is ur tank and I understand why u would be scared but don't be and just do it

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When I did mine I dosed it the furthest place possible from the corals so I dosed it in my overflow.
This way the peroxide has time to dessipate before the corals are involved.
And even that is prolly over doing it as long as you are not spraying the corals directly with peroxide there will be on Ill effect besides the cleanest water ever seen.

Nothing to be scared about if u do it right 1ml per ever ten gallons is nothing.

U would rather add something like seachums flourish which u have no idea what's in it instead of peroxide which is only water with one more part oxygen because of ur sps. I don't understand why people are scared of peroxide people dose it everyday to make the water as clean as can be and the don't dose the punny 3% peroxide we have they dose the 17%. Look at broafields tank he has one I forget what they are called.

Anyway it will be cheaper and better to do the peroxide way but u do what u want it is ur tank and I understand why u would be scared but don't be and just do it

There are a ton of very successful tanks that dose the seachem which is why I would rather start with that as it just raises my phosphate which I want to do anyways. For the peroxide, I have heard multiple times from people who have very very successful tanks and how colonies not to mess with peroxide unless the dinos are taking over my sps then I really have nothing to lose but I am not in the boat and hopefully wont be.

Seachem is only $6 so its not like I am spending a lot on it.

Back