OP
OP
K

Kaludar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate at .05 now. I’m a bit surprised they have risen this fast I took the nopox doser offline doubled my feeding volume and have fed reef roids once. I’m going to try to hold between .07 and .10 I think my frags are goners but I want to get some nutrients in here and dose some beneficial bacteria and introduce some pods as others have suggested. Then maybe in a couple weeks I will try another cheap acro frag. I made the mistake of buying a couple semi expensive pieces that I now regret.

How do you all acclimate your new sps frags? I put mine half way up the glass on a drag rack right away, should I start on the sand bed next time?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate at .05 now. I’m a bit surprised they have risen this fast I took the nopox doser offline doubled my feeding volume and have fed reef roids once. I’m going to try to hold between .07 and .10 I think my frags are goners but I want to get some nutrients in here and dose some beneficial bacteria and introduce some pods as others have suggested. Then maybe in a couple weeks I will try another cheap acro frag. I made the mistake of buying a couple semi expensive pieces that I now regret.

How do you all acclimate your new sps frags? I put mine half way up the glass on a drag rack right away, should I start on the sand bed next time?

Here are my suggestions for reducing transition stress, the results of which might not show up for a couple weeks. If from LFS (without as much shipping stress) you can speed things up just a touch.

a) Compare your parameters (ALK, NO3, PO4, and lighting(roughly) to the grow out system they are coming from. They should be close IMO.
b) Once home, temp acclimate in bag without light or low light (especially if they came in a box overnight).
c) After an hour or so, place near the bottom away from side glass if possible. Like 150 PAR. For 3-5 days.
d) Then do your dipping protocol.

OP
OP
K

Kaludar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my suggestions for reducing transition stress, the results of which might not show up for a couple weeks. If from LFS (without as much shipping stress) you can speed things up just a touch.

a) Compare your parameters (ALK, NO3, PO4, and lighting(roughly) to the grow out system they are coming from. They should be close IMO.
b) Once home, temp acclimate in bag without light or low light (especially if they came in a box overnight).
c) After an hour or so, place near the bottom away from side glass if possible. Like 150 PAR. For 3-5 days.
d) Then do your dipping protocol.

Are you saying use a separate QT tank? If I let them sit for days without dipping won’t my hitchhikers have already made it into my system?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying use a separate QT tank? If I let them sit for days without dipping won’t my hitchhikers have already made it into my system?

Before I forget (again) I missed a step. After temp acclimation, I blast the sticks with a turkey baster to see if I can remove anything attached. Look in the bag after for AEFW. Then visual inspection under a lit magnifying glass. (Or similar phone app) You are looking for eggs and bite marks. The AEFW are very difficult to see when on the flesh itself. If I see ANYTHING, then I either toss it (rare, but if it was cheape) or treat immediately.

To answer your question, yes, I have a 40 breeder for LPS that I sit them in for those recovery days. I know it is not a luxury everyone can manage. I don't keep a separate, sterile QT or anything -- too much work to keep it properly tuned for SPS.

OP
OP
K

Kaludar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update and thank everyone who helped me. It’s been a few weeks since I stopped nopox, my phosphates are hanging around .04 and I got a cheap acro from the lfs about a week ago and it seems to be doing well. I couldn’t save the green slimer or the tort but I think one of my other original frags May make it. Seems like the issue was the tank being completely stripped of nutrients like you guys suggested. I ordered a icp test that should be here tomorrow that I’m going to run on my tank water and my rodi as well.

Thank you for all the feedback guys, cool to have such a helpful community here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back