MY TANG IS DYING HELP PLEASE

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 emergency in one day cool I know
My new tang is NOT well he is hardly moving and I just got him. Water is perfect. No visible sign except this weird line( video below from early with that line)
the ONLY thing I can think of is that he got into a minor fight with a powder blue but it didn’t seem to crazy. I just add the powder blue today and they fought and then chilled out. Also he was allowing me to touch him - I put him in a Breeder box. PLEASE HELP

Attachments

• IMG_5030.MOV
    27.6 MB
  • IMG_5029.MOV
    22.2 MB

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

animatedcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe setup a separate tank temporarily to give the powder blue some time to relax? Or even the Yellow. But probably stressing him out. Hope all gets better

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
2 emergency in one day cool I know
My new tang is NOT well he is hardly moving and I just got him. Water is perfect. No visible sign except this weird line( video below from early with that line)
the ONLY thing I can think of is that he got into a minor fight with a powder blue but it didn’t seem to crazy. I just add the powder blue today and they fought and then chilled out. Also he was allowing me to touch him - I put him in a Breeder box. PLEASE HELP
The line as in another post is likely HLLE and not from fighting. If there is fighting which should be temporary, it is imperitive to separate the two bullies or the fish that is being picked on. An acclimation box would be ideal for this

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The line as in another post is likely HLLE and not from fighting. If there is fighting which should be temporary, it is imperitive to separate the two bullys or the fish that is being picked on. An acclimation box would be ideal for this
Yes I did that. However the fighting only happened when I added the powder blue. I assume the were Figuring out dominance between the two. After that they were fine. Someone else mentioned flukes in another post so I FW dipped to be safe he seems better after the dip. During the dip tho his swim bladder seemed off. Another thing it could be is that his swim bladder got messed up. I don’t know but he isn’t doing good.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes I did that. However the fighting only happened when I added the powder blue. I assume the were Figuring out dominance between the two. After that they were fine. Someone else mentioned flukes in another post so I FW dipped to be safe he seems better after the dip. During the dip tho his swim bladder seemed off. Another thing it could be is that his swim bladder got messed up. I don’t know but he isn’t doing good.
Fish in video looks stressed. While FW dip can be at times of benefit, important that the water is same temp as display tank and signs of flukes would be heavy breathing, yawning behavior, shaking head side to side, itching gills and more.
Best thing the fish can get right now is relaxation from stress and handling and be it known. . . powder blues are plain Jerks. Mine can be one at times

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you QT him?

He looks stressed to me. I think he needs a nice quiet spot to himself... the breeding net is pretty small. I have a fuge about 15-20g where I have put fish that needed rest and recovery.

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish in video looks stressed. While FW dip can be at times of benefit, important that the water is same temp as display tank and signs of flukes would be heavy breathing, yawning behavior, shaking head side to side, itching gills and more.
Best thing the fish can get right now is relaxation from stress and handling and be it known. . . powder blues are plain Jerks. Mine can be one at times
Thanks for your help. As of now theres nothing I can do. I've FW dipped, tested everything, did a water change, and separated them.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT is 10 gallon which is very small I'll admit but it gets the job done for QT. He was with the powder in the QT when I added him. The initially had a mini fight and then were fine.

Ya that is too small for TWO tangs... a powder can be especially mean.

Often they seem okay at first because they are stressed and not really 'thinking' about fighting or territory. Then if they calm down a bit... attitudes shift and you basically just started a dog fight.

If he recovers from the fight.. you probably need a second QT tank so you have one for each tang.

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that is too small for TWO tangs... a powder can be especially mean.

Often they seem okay at first because they are stressed and not really 'thinking' about fighting or territory. Then if they calm down a bit... attitudes shift and you basically just started a dog fight.

If he recovers from the fight.. you probably need a second QT tank so you have one for each tang.
Yes I agree but they did really have a crazy crazy fight. When they fought the Cole eye was actually the aggressor and Powder blue wasn't fighting back but it was only when the powder blue whipped him with his tail that he may have got injured. If he did get hurt from fighting he is still savable so what do I do about that.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree but they did really have a crazy crazy fight. When they fought the Cole eye was actually the aggressor and Powder blue wasn't fighting back but it was only when the powder blue whipped him with his tail that he may have got injured. If he did get hurt from fighting he is still savable so what do I do about that.

I don't see anything visibly wrong. It looks like a stressed fish who doesn't want to be in a 10g with another Tang :) So get him his own QT.

Sometime stress kills, lets hope it doesn't. They don't make Xanax for fish. Best you can do is his own safe tank with dim lighting and tons of hiding spots.

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything visibly wrong. It looks like a stressed fish who doesn't want to be in a 10g with another Tang :) So get him his own QT.

Sometime stress kills, lets hope it doesn't. They don't make Xanax for fish. Best you can do is his own safe tank with dim lighting and tons of hiding spots.
All I got is a 5 1/2 gallon tank for him. I struggle in the hobby because I'm not old enough for a job there for I don't have access to money. My point is that I got to work with what I got so should I add him to the 5 gallon?

Edit - I am old enough just can't for unexplainable reasons

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't buy or get a tank a garbage can will work. In general, you need a minimum of 10 gallons for a fish like that.

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't buy or get a tank a garbage can will work. In general, you need a minimum of 10 gallons for a fish like that.
Okay I have a big brute trash can I use as an RODI reservoir but its very tall not wide. Its just the normal trash can. Will that work though?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 56.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back