MY TANG IS DYING HELP PLEASE

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I got is a 5 1/2 gallon tank for him. I struggle in the hobby because I'm not old enough for a job there for I don't have access to money. My point is that I got to work with what I got so should I add him to the 5 gallon?

Edit - I am old enough just can't for unexplainable reasons

Well I mean you had to pay for the fish. If you don’t have a lot of money then I would say you need to be careful and not risk your fish by putting them in a QT that is too small. You could have just finished QT the first one and then bought the second after and used an acclimation box (can make one cheap yourself out of egg crate) to introduce the new tang.

That is all in retrospect but ya…. Fish potentially dying doesn’t save money cuz then you have to buy a new one :(

Do you have a plastic tote? It doesn’t need to be glass. I use totes and tubs for my QT tanks as they are lighter to move and clean and can’t break carelessly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
QT is 10 gallon which is very small I'll admit but it gets the job done for QT. He was with the powder in the QT when I added him. The initially had a mini fight and then were fine.
As a temporary setup, should be fine. Assure there is sufficient or added oxygen

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I have a big brute trash can I use as an RODI reservoir but its very tall not wide. Its just the normal trash can. Will that work though?
Yes. That will work fine. You need to aerate the water! You can also add a small filter to the BRUTE can if you have one. That said, if properly done you can keep a single fish in a trash can for a while. So let's move on to aggression. I was once you. My 1st marine tank was around age 10 some 40 plus years ago. My dad worked hard and I hated taking his money so I learned to cut corners. Here is a cheap tip. The local hardware store has egg crate material. The stuff they use for light panels, the one with all the squares that are about .25 (quarter inch) in size. You can build a box, using tie wraps. Then, place ONE of the fish INSIDE that box you built. They can see each other but not really kill each other. In time, the fish get used to each other. I love my Powder Blue tank. He used to be a bully and now he is just super mellow. I feed a lot though, about 4x to 6 a day. I think that's part of the secret. Good Luck!

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t stress him out any more than what he already is . Make sure the parameters are the same as what he’s in now. temperature has to be the same as well . I agree with vetteguy as this is good for temporary . You will need to put a heater and low current flow and a way to keep it oxygenated . If you can’t provide this , see if the lfs would take him back or at least keep him for you until you have the other tank available . If you trust the lfs

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Well hopefully I get a job next month at my lfs. That what we had talk about anyway but then I could start putting more money into the hobby for a bigger qt tank etc.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Well hopefully I get a job next month at my lfs. That what we had talk about anyway but then I could start putting more money into the hobby for a bigger qt tank etc.

You can just buy a tote that is like 15 bucks. You don’t have to spend too much. QT is really cheap.

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I came here for help. Other than separating the two how can I help the fish in its current state. The lfs isn’t going to ask him back the way he is and leaving him in a big trash can where I am unable to observe him 24-7 might now be the best as of now. I don’t disagree with it and I’ll set it up but I’m just saying the fish is in critical condition and put him in a big can is going to do no different the where he is now. The fish obviously has physical issues mostly likely to the swim bladder or other internal parts. How can I help this fish. Is leave him to rest the best? Is there some meds that will help?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I came here for help. Other than separating the two how can I help the fish in its current state. The lfs isn’t going to ask him back the way he is and leaving him in a big trash can where I am unable to observe him 24-7 might now be the best as of now. I don’t disagree with it and I’ll set it up but I’m just saying the fish is in critical condition and put him in a big can is going to do no different the where he is now. The fish obviously has physical issues mostly likely to the swim bladder or other internal parts. How can I help this fish. Is leave him to rest the best? Is there some meds that will help?

All you can do is let him rest and good gas exchange and low lights.

I don’t know how a fight would mess up his swim bladder but there isn’t any magic cure for it.

He is stressed out and got wooped and he either pulls through or he doesn’t :(

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet it’s not even swim bladder as he is sunk to the bottom of the net not floating.

Sometimes fish swim poorly when close to death. Sorry. I hope that’s not it.

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANK GOD LITERALLY! HE SURVIVED THE NIGHT! He is only lying down in one spot. I think he may have injured this in the photo. Only weird thing is that he has only been swimming backwards.

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I think he may have hurt because it’s bent

Attachments

• BF698649-414C-42D9-90AC-BA1B0FE7834A.jpeg
    BF698649-414C-42D9-90AC-BA1B0FE7834A.jpeg
    609.4 KB · Views: 17

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back