My tank build.... take 2

NewMelee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it has been a long time since I updated the tank thread so I figure since this is the new place to be I would start over here.

I now have the foam wall built, frag tank stand built, iso tank area below the frag tank, most of the plumbing, and water tested the frag portion of the system. So far so good.

Tank:

Picture%20006.jpg

I think the wall turned out ok.

Back:
100_1738.JPG

Excuse the messy tubes from the sqwd's, still working that out.

Sump:
Picture%20008.jpg

Left it come out of the stand so that I can use any skimmer I would like.

Top of tank:
Picture%20007.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_3wsrAAYx16o/SpnZC1dZwkI/AAAAAAAAAN0/FZXtebgi5jY/s640/Picture 007.jpg
Shows where I am dropping water back in from the top

Frag tank/iso tank:
Picture%20009.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...?authkey=Gv1sRgCJPEt7LA0Z3tBg&feat=directlink

Drain from frag tank is used to fill iso tank with tank water

The only thing I have found so far is that there is a resonating noise from the pump. I am not sure yet if it that I used no flex lines in the system or if is because there are tube hooked up and no water in them yet. I can easily isolate the pumps with flex lines if need be I guess I will know better once I get the whole system wet.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
NewMelee

NewMelee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK how do I get the pictures on here? Can I not use picasa for a file location?

I4czO7b9nOfDQWjvtU-k-w

Last edited:

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pumps did you use Ryan? Hard to tell if its resonating without water though. What size plumbing did you use coming out of your pumps? I have 3/4" outlets and inlets on my pumps and I ran 1.5" return plumbing and the line coming in I believe is 1.5" too. The wall turned out nice! Looking good. Which SQWD's you running the 1/2" or 3/4"?

Eric

OP
OP
NewMelee

NewMelee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main pump is a Reeflo Hammerhead. That is the only one going right now. The closed loop is going to be a Reeflo dart. Seems to a bit better after they ran for a bit, but still some noise. I will have to get the rest up and running so I can really tell. Plumbing for the Hammerhead is 1 1/2" in and out, that is what is on the pump and in inlet is only max 1' long. The Dart has a 2" inlet that is comming from 2 x 1 1/2" oulet from tank run together. Then another 1 1/2" oulet on that

The 2 SQWD's are 3/4"ers. I am hoping to get a good random effect with the 2. One is going to be on closed loop and the other on sump return.

I also picked up a 3 x 250w halide -4 96w PC antinic - 8 led moon light set up locally for a song and dance. ;) Things are really moving along I hope that by the end of next month here I will be ready for the saltwater............. I hope.

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if the SQWDS will be able to handle that much water going through them. I never really looked to see what kind of flow they could take!!! Where did you get the lighting from? That isn't Brians old lighting is it? I think he is tearing his tank down!!!!

Eric

OP
OP
NewMelee

NewMelee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah I found the lights right here in Neenah, tried to get the guy on line with the club but he is pulling out of reefing and is going to go fish only.

As far as the sqwd's I figure what won't go through them will just run through another outlet from the pump. In theory I am thinking they will pulse the whole system when they switch, giving me more random flow :) We'll see..............

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh, make sure you rinse that new sand thoroughly. I took that as optional advice and regret not doing it. Otherwise with all that flow it might take some tweaking to make it cooperate with the sandy bottom. Looks like it'll be easy to adjust. That wasn't so with my Vortechs. Looks good so far :)

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, on the right hand side I'd clamp that vertical piece of PVC to the stud - that'd be horrible if that got cracked off!

100_1738.JPG

OP
OP
NewMelee

NewMelee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Nautilus TE that needs a decent pump so I am thinking about going it with a Sedra 5000 pump and see how it does. To begin with I have a light bio load but with that skimmer and a crappy pump made all of my sps brown out.

As for the pipe, well, I have it loose trying to figure out that resonance issue. I won't leave it like that. That would be a big PITA if that was to break.

OP
OP
NewMelee

NewMelee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally have it running for awhile to get bio started and today I moved all my live stock over. I'll get some pics up as soon as the water clears back up again, with moving everything up I stirred it up pretty good.

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the pump noise do? did it go away? Your ahead of me but I (with a couple others) Plan on finishing the plumbing this sunday and then the tank will be ready to rock and roll!

Get them pics up!!!

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what is the size of the tank? looks really good so far!! keep it up!

OP
OP
NewMelee

NewMelee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here are some pics. I checked everything over this morning and I can't believe how happy all my corals look in the frag tank. All of my lps are the fattest I've ever seen them.

Link to my Picasa album:

new tank

OP
OP
NewMelee

NewMelee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup had them awhile, kinda boring/plain but really hardy.

Need to get some more rock and do some aquascaping, but I love it so far.

oh yeah and it's a 180 display and a 75 frag with a 30ish sump

OP
OP
NewMelee

NewMelee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that my SPS was really browning out, so I made a new tier to my frag rack. Goes up pretty high since my light is screwed to the rafters atm. I will adjust as necessary. Working on an idea that works better but this was a quick fix.

100_1765.JPG

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back