My tank exploded help me please

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your falling hob could be enough gas exchange. Even still this brings up another idea I had that could also kill everything.

Since your not topping off daily, what is your salinity, and what are you using to measure it, and how is it calibrated?

Thos things are copepods, harmless detritus eaters.

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your falling hob could be enough gas exchange. Even still this brings up another idea I had that could also kill everything.

Since your not topping off daily, what is your salinity, and what are you using to measure it, and how is it calibrated?

Thos things are copepods, harmless detritus eaters.
1.025 and I use a refractometer, nice I found them on wikipedia and been reading a bit on them they seem good to have.

N8Ball666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just me, but I caught on to "no need to topoff as I have acrylic lids so evap doesn't seem to be effected".

If your tank is so tightly closed up that your not having to add fresh water to compensate for evaporation DAILY, you might want to remove those lids as your not getting any gas exchange either. In another words, your not oxygenating the water. And everything can certainly die off from lack of oxygen, yes including algae on your rocks and sandbed.
Excellent point. Need air and water break.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume your pod population would die if there were a chemical that killed your algae and fish....

I think the mystery continues....

N8Ball666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just me, but I caught on to "no need to topoff as I have acrylic lids so evap doesn't seem to be effected".

If your tank is so tightly closed up that your not having to add fresh water to compensate for evaporation DAILY, you might want to remove those lids as your not getting any gas exchange either. In another words, your not oxygenating the water. And everything can certainly die off from lack of oxygen, yes including algae on your rocks and sandbed.
Excellent point. Need air and water break.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume your pod population would die if there were a chemical that killed your algae and fish....

I agree. How could all the algae and fish die, yet the snails and pods survive? Could it have been O2 depletion? Pods and snails requiring much less oxygen than the fish?
Do you have a skimmer on this tank?

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. How could all the algae and fish die, yet the snails and pods survive? Could it have been O2 depletion? Pods and snails requiring much less oxygen than the fish?

I'm by no means an expert despite being on the salty side of the hobby for a half dozen years but that was my first thought when I saw the lid comment. Even with the hob there's really not enough gas exchange with such a tight fitting lid. Even with a normal glass lid on my cichlid tank I'm topping off a significant amount of water every couple of days so that's got to be a really tight fitting lid if he's not having to top off at all.

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are good to have.

How are you calibrating the refractometer? Don't think this is your issue now, but you never know. Was the person topping off the tank for you?
RODI water, no they were not topping it off, I've only had to top it off once and I usually when I water change I get the new water to a little under 1.025 so when I add it to the tank it evens out to about 1.025

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what's odd is the pod population appeared after my tank became Chernobyl, never noticed them before but yeah this is quite the mystery, I think my next project will be working on better filtration maybe a sump, refugium, protein skimmer and run carbon and water change until algae comes back and it appears sustainable again.

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not run a skimmer, the pods came after everything died which was weird to me

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm by no means an expert despite being on the salty side of the hobby for a half dozen years but that was my first thought when I saw the lid comment. Even with the hob there's really not enough gas exchange with such a tight fitting lid. Even with a normal glass lid on my cichlid tank I'm topping off a significant amount of water every couple of days so that's got to be a really tight fitting lid if he's not having to top off at all.
There's decent airgaps around the cut I made for the filter and I have a large slit where air can come in from the side of the top, I've never really thought about it because it never caused problems previously, and my hob filter makes a lot of bubbles so I'm really not sure.

N8Ball666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's decent airgaps around the cut I made for the filter and I have a large slit where air can come in from the side of the top, I've never really thought about it because it never caused problems previously, and my hob filter makes a lot of bubbles so I'm really not sure.
But water break is huge for gas exchange. Just FYI. Turn a wave maker towards the top of the water, and that will do wonders. (Not splashing, but breaking surface)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back