my tank is at 81

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i dont know where to put this but my tank has been 82 degrees all day everything in the tank looks happy and is open but the thing is that i’ve had a fan running on it all day and my room is 75 degrees and it still has a fan running and with use of ice i’ve dropped the temp to 80 i even unplugged the heater but why isn’t the temperature dropping and i’m using a glass thermometer any help or tips would help

Edp251

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could your heater be stuck in the 'on' position? If there is not an indicator light on the heater, unplug it and see if the temp comes down

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could your heater be stuck in the 'on' position? If there is not an indicator light on the heater, unplug it and see if the temp comes down
yea i tried that to see if that was the problem but nothing happened it stayed the same all night

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a faulty motor somewhere in your system that has a whole lot of friction causing heat?
no i dont i clean my pumps and try to keep them as clean as i can so i clean them when i do a water change which is every week but the pumps have never heated up before but i’ll try to see if one is over heating thanks for the advice

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look for any thing that might be heating the tank, pumps lights etc, but 81 degrees isn't any thing to get concerned about yet. 83 to 84 then i'd start to panic.

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lights are you using? Metal Halides or T5 will put out a lot of heat.

*Something* is heating the water, and it takes a good bit of wattage to keep it 7 degrees over ambient temp, unless it's a small tank

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lights are you using? Metal Halides or T5 will put out a lot of heat.

*Something* is heating the water, and it takes a good bit of wattage to keep it 7 degrees over ambient temp, unless it's a small tank
it’s a 10 gallon with this weird led light that no one know the name of and even i don’t know the name of it to be honest

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it near a window? If it is, that could easily raise the temp in ten gallons. Have you tried lowering the rooms air?
i don’t own the house so i can’t turn on the air and it’s by a window but that’s the only place i can put it

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don’t own the house so i can’t turn on the air and it’s by a window but that’s the only place i can put it
If that's the case, then 81 maybe the best you can do. Like was said before, that is high but within range. I would just make sure that it doesn't go any higher than that.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's the case, then 81 maybe the best you can do. Like was said before, that is high but within range. I would just make sure that it doesn't go any higher than that.
yea i got it down to 79 i had to use ice but it only brought it down 2 degrees but the temp hasn’t gone up

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 153 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back