My tank is burning hot !

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gal new tank w no fish or coral yet still cycling and I have the heater on it’s lowest setting and it is at 36*C and I don’t know what to do

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may just have a bad heater. you can rotate in ice jugs to get it lowered but if no fish or coral then maybe not needed. double check your measuring device to make sure it is 36 as well.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your heater might be too big for your tank or it may be malfunctioning. 36 is too hot for fish and corals. I’d definitely replace it.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may just have a bad heater. you can rotate in ice jugs to get it lowered but if no fish or coral then maybe not needed. double check your measuring device to make sure it is 36 as well.
It was at 40 a few minutes ago

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s it set to? If the water temperature is hotter than you’ve set the heater to then it has failed and stuck in the on position. Can happen to any heater but cheap ones are more prone to it. As you’ve got no live stock in the tank don’t worry about it, turn it off and leave it 10 mins for the heater to cool down then take it out.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s it set to? If the water temperature is hotter than you’ve set the heater to then it has failed and stuck in the on position. Can happen to any heater but cheap ones are more prone to it. As you’ve got no live stock in the tank don’t worry about it, turn it off and leave it 10 mins for the heater to cool down then take it out.
Aww ok thanks :(

halfmoon61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumps put out heat, new tank cycling I would remove the heater and see what the temp settles at. I had a 30 gal with no heater, the mag drive I used heated the tank.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumps put out heat, new tank cycling I would remove the heater and see what the temp settles at. I had a 30 gal with no heater, the mag drive I used heated the tank.
Oh ok that may work I will try it thank you :)

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also in my experience, fully submersing the heads of those types of heaters shortens the lifespan and messes with accuracy.
Ive always left the black control portion out of the water and submerse any glass/quartz.
They seem to work so much better than ones i had fully submersed.

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out heater controllers like Inkbird models that have an outlet and a temp probe, some have 2 for backup and then you don't have to rely on the heater temp setting. It's a great investment and pretty cheap

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank Is getting to 40c, your heater is way too large.

When you replace it, buy an inkbird and a significantly smaller heater.

I'd recommend 50w max in a 20g. I run 50w in my 40g tanks, and if I could find a good 25w, I'd run that instead.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I would do right now to bring the temp down is tak a plastic ziploc bag, make sure it has no holes in it, then put ice in it. That should cool the water down, but make sure you replace the ice every half hour or so because it will melt fast.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also in my experience, fully submersing the heads of those types of heaters shortens the lifespan and messes with accuracy.
Ive always left the black control portion out of the water and submerse any glass/quartz.
They seem to work so much better than ones i had fully submersed.
Thanks for the advice will try it :)

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I would do right now to bring the temp down is tak a plastic ziploc bag, make sure it has no holes in it, then put ice in it. That should cool the water down, but make sure you replace the ice every half hour or so because it will melt fast.
Thanks but there aren’t anything alive in there now apart from 0.25 ppm ammonia

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank Is getting to 40c, your heater is way too large.

When you replace it, buy an inkbird and a significantly smaller heater.

I'd recommend 50w max in a 20g. I run 50w in my 40g tanks, and if I could find a good 25w, I'd run that instead.
The 25w heaters on Amazon say they are for 5 gallon tanks I have one two small ones for my small quarantine tank that is around 5 gallons but I don’t know how many watts they are and I don’t know if they work because my quarantine tank has no water in it yet

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back