16 gal, 58Litre newbie (Modest}Cade tank build

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread.

4 months ago I bought a 23Litre pico tank as a complete beginner although I have had some experience with freshwater. I had marginal success with the Ocean free all in one with a really bad limewood skimmer the cheap standard light that comes with it fish are doing fine corals not so much but they are all alive but not thriving.

Anyway decided to go a bit larger (I love the ideas of nano tanks) I am fully aware of the difficulties with small tanks and how quickly things can change.

That is just background. but am upgrading to a Cade 16 Gal (58 Litre) and wanted to upgrade to decent equipment. I do not have a lot of cash so my approach is balanced and modest and out of the box to a degree.

a20 499.jpg

My tank arrives

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the bookshelf from Ikea and put a 15mm marine ply on the back with about 20 SS screws.
I then bought some doors (2). I like the idea of the tank not being stand alone but a part of furniture and storage for test equipment electrics electronics, food, chemicals, ATO container

etc and a surface for doing tests and chemicals food etc

a20 540.jpg

OP
OP
S

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the Aquascaping chose dry rock for many reasons and glued and fixed 7 seperate rocks together very carefully with ledges and holes. I added the Colal box moon light bought from a friend added an Aqueal 75W heater ( I think its called a "Cobolt in the US) made in Poland not China:)

a20 521.jpg

OP
OP
S

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling holes for electrics and ATO container will be putting in timers powerboard etc and a place to mount my soon to arrive, I hope:) mp10 wavemaker which I cant realy afford but decided not to skimp here, one motivation being, I live in Western Australia and it gets hot in summer so I like the idea of having the motor out of the tank.
Thats as far as I am right now. Mt last big purchase will be a Hanna Phosphate tester. The amount of time I have spent on this so far is outrageous and crazy:)

ATO.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start Steph! Everyone posts their "build" threads here:

I can move it for you. Once moved, you can get a build thread badge!

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking build for sure! I like the Ikea cabinet, it looks like it was made for that tank.

OP
OP
S

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking build for sure! I like the Ikea cabinet, it looks like it was made for that tank.
Cheers mate I think so as well
the whole cabinet cost 75USD including the marine ply and screws. It is now as solid as a rock. and I think it will function well also:)

smm52487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great start! Definitely easy to get carried away in this hobby, but you can also run a successful tank with a simpler setup.

OP
OP
S

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, hi guys had a big week.
Set up my simple ATO and bought a ATO system for $45US and bought a timer as a backup for$7
Drilled holes in my cabinet for cable management and bought some concrete sealer to seal the edges of the holes incase they get exposed to water
I made a bracket fot the timer as shops were closed so I found a local plastic signmaker and went through his bin.....Bingo! Bent the white acrylic on my stovetopmounted it and attached the timer with vercro. It looks like a bought system;)

Untitled.jpg 1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then a friend said he was decommissioning tank and had some corals to give away. I was going to wait about another 2 weeks as I was running with lights off to avoid the uglies so I was forced to commission my tank a bit early.
Massive stress as I am a nubie with little experience. Have posted a pic below tank is 3 days old going to test PH, Amonia, nitrites nitrates and phosphate this evening.
I am still waiting for my Mp10 to arrive so bought a SICCE 1000 nano to help in the meantime, My tank and whole house are a bit of a mess ATM will try to get on top of everything tonight:)
Oh and do a 25% water change

Untitled2.jpg

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back