My Tank Is Getting Wiped Out! Anyone Know What This Could Be?

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so a few days ago I noticed my scooter blenny go crazy like it had been massivly spooked and then started to go back to normal. Then on Saturday just before we were going out I noticed the roal grammer was looking week and then it got sucked into the power head, we had to go so just hoped it would be okay when we got back. When we did get back there was no sign of the grammer and the blenny was very flow and heavy breathing. I quickly caught it and added it to a quartine box inside the tank to get a QT ready however by the time I was ready to transfer (5 or so hours) the scooter had died. All other fish were looking fine at this point. The next day noticed the clowns rubbing against the algue scraper and so started to suspect flukes and thought would into it more and get some medication for it. Got some medication today and when I got back from work the clowns had gone from fine to go being at the bottom of the tank and then going crazy and also buring the head into the sand. I caught them up and moved them into the QT along with putting some prime in and flukes medication. A few hours later the wrasse was swimming upsidedown and also going all over the tank without any control. I have now caught him up and also put him into the QT. I literally only have a cleaner shrimp and engineers left looking okay at the moment but I don't know what it is because flukes I thought shouldnt be wiping fish out in a day or two of showing symptoms. Anyone got any idea of what this could be? All the fish were eating fine and not looking weak before looking like they are on deaths door or dying! We have also noticed that one of the clowns has some slight silver scales and the scooter did have it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What you describe are behaviors of flukes or strat voltage. Additionally, gills will be red or swollen with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color .

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which medication are you using? I am worried that your QT is going to have a lot of ammonia issues if there is no biofilter and the most common fluke medicine (prazi) is safe in display reef tanks

OP
OP
S

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you describe are behaviors of flukes or strat voltage. Additionally, gills will be red or swollen with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color .
Just so cunfused why it is killing everything so fast

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need your water parameters and some pictures taken in white light. Prime will only bind ammonia for 48 hours. For your hospital tank, you will need an airstone, pvc pipe and some media in the tank along with an instant bacteria starter. Do you have a good (non-API) ammonia test kit? Rally Pro can be used in a DT. How old is your tank? If it is velvet, it can kill very quickly.

OP
OP
S

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which medication are you using? I am worried that your QT is going to have a lot of ammonia issues if there is no biofilter and the most common fluke medicine (prazi) is safe in display reef tanks
Flubendazole is what we are putting the in QT tank. I am adding Prime to make sure the Amonia is not harmful to the fish as I did see this. We did not have access to Prazi quickly as we live in the middle of knowere and its all our LFS had and I wasnt even convinced on it being Flukes becasue of the quick dead

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flubendazole is what we are putting the in QT tank. I am adding Prime to make sure the Amonia is not harmful to the fish as I did see this. We did not have access to Prazi quickly as we live in the middle of knowere and its all our LFS had and I wasnt even convinced on it being Flukes becasue of the quick dead

Interesting, I have never seen that med on here. @Jay Hemdal have you used this?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If they get to gills. it will affect breathing and eating abilities as well as irritation to skin
Best treatment would be Prazi Pro (praziquantel) not benzadole

OP
OP
S

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need your water parameters and some pictures taken in white light. Prime will only bind ammonia for 48 hours. For your hospital tank, you will need an airstone, pvc pipe and some media in the tank along with an instant bacteria starter. Do you have a good (non-API) ammonia test kit? Rally Pro can be used in a DT.
I have a wave makes in the currently as I did not have any airstone to hand I can add media as hafe spare and do have instant bacteria as well that I can add if you think that would help. I do have a decent Ammonia test so can keep an eye on it and also I can keep adding prime every day if needed

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unfortunately, this is often the nature of disease in the hobby. It is the the harsh lesson that often leads to people becoming strong advocates for quarantining and treating all inhabitants before they enter the tank. Its never fun and I became a QT advocate after having an issue in my tank at one point (and at the time previously not really knowing much about QT or disease as no one had ever mentioned it to me).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says on the front "marine Anti-Fluke & Wormer" and also that it will kill corals hence the QT

I'm not saying its not the right medicine, but rather I just haven't seen it on here before so I tagged Jay. :)

OP
OP
S

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is everyone thinking this is infact flukes and not some form of heavy metal or something that I cant test for as I can then at least stop googling all the symptoms are cure rather than diagnose

OP
OP
S

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, this is often the nature of disease in the hobby. It is the the harsh lesson that often leads to people becoming strong advocates for quarantining and treating all inhabitants before they enter the tank. Its never fun and I became a QT advocate after having an issue in my tank at one point (and at the time previously not really knowing much about QT or disease as no one had ever mentioned it to me).
Yes I must admit I currently do not QT anything before adding it to the tank as I really just didnt have the space for another tank however now that I have been forced into making something up I probably cant find room for a 20L tank

OP
OP
S

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its flukes, a simple 3-4 minute fresh water dip will expose all flukes if they are there, if small opaque oblong disc don't come off, you can rule out flukes.
I thought this and was going to do it before I found out that flukes in the Gill will not be so obviouse

OP
OP
S

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is flukes how long should I keep this treatment up. I cant actually get Prazi in the UK but I can get this which I think is the same but if I put them back in tank and use this treatment will it kill everything off thats in the tank so I wont need to worry about it anymore?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I must admit I currently do not QT anything before adding it to the tank as I really just didnt have the space for another tank however now that I have been forced into making something up I probably cant find room for a 20L tank

I used a bin from home depot :)

albeit that probably takes up more space than a tank but its nice if budget concerns are ever an issue for a QT. If it is infact the common flukes we see, I would do prazipro in the display tank.

OP
OP
S

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a bin from home depot :)

albeit that probably takes up more space than a tank but its nice if budget concerns are ever an issue for a QT. If it is infact the common flukes we see, I would do prazipro in the display tank.
Yes I makeshifted a cricket containers that wasnt in use for now and will probably get a filtered tank for the long run. What did you think to the product I linked above as cant get Parzi in the UK and also if you are doing Prazi when do you stop so that you know you have killed everything in the tank?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%

Back