My tank is tempered glass:(

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently picked up the hobby with over a million questions but I will keep them for myself to find out through trial and error. My main question is the size of this “used “ glass tempered tank I purchased that I will be attempting to run a LPS ONLY along with a few fish this reef tank.. it’s a 120 gallon display box with a 40 breeder sump.sadly the display box is tempered and I will not be able to drill.. Will I be able to pull out enough flow to with ahang on over flow box ? Or should I pitch the tank and buy acrylic ? Any suggestions are much much appreciative

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have mentioned, do what you feel is best and what you're comfortable with. There are some decent hang on overflows, I think Eshoppes is a well liked one, but do some research.

I agree that very likely only the bottom pane is tempered. There are definitely ways to check if your side panes are tempered. If they are not, consider drilling the sides and adding something like a Synergy Shadow overflow. It's fairly easy to drill glass if it's not tempered.

Upvote 0

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am sure they would have been happy to pay to replace your tank had you listened.

Upvote 1

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get one of these instead of a controller to turn off your pump if water level gets too high

Upvote 0

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on and thank you for taking time to respond to my dilemma. Last question and this is in regards to my dry rock curing at the moment. Is it okay to ad fritz turbo to the trash can I have them in? Also I have a friend in Maui who is willing to ship me Rock pulled from that day , I just have zero knowledge on what I should expect months down the road by adding either option or rock? My display is currently completely empty of salt water and I’m debating to wait for the cure or have him ship rock tomorrow
Be careful with that rock from Maui.. that plan has jail time and or serious fines for both you and your buddy if somehow it's uncovered leaving Hawaii or entering the mainland.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Denver5280

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here, this everything he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^

HOB Overflow is fine just keep the pump sized to match the overhang. I tend to pick a pump that maxes out a little less than the overhang can support.

Also if you want insurance get a Hydros or Apex controller that has power control and get a water level sensor that way you can have the controller turn off the pump if the tank water level gets too high.
Da da
Yeah, I am sure they would have been happy to pay to replace your tank had you listened.
right lol . The tank was free but it’s still an amazing display considering the age of it and it is used. Truly thank you for being legit i would have hated to see it in pieces. Quick question about cycling this query reef rock I’m using,
You can get one of these instead of a controller to turn off your pump if water level gets too high

very cool thank you , I’m ordering it right now. Hey quick question on a different note. If I’m running this tank with quarry dry rock , do I treat the cycling process on the rock the same as the fish cycle ? I guess what I’m asking is how do I know when the rock is cycled and ready for some basic soft corals, leathers/ Zia’s?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Denver5280

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with that rock from Maui.. that plan has jail time and or serious fines for both you and your buddy if somehow it's uncovered leaving Hawaii or entering the mainland.
oh **** I didn’t know that, thank you l. I thought it was “fish” only that would get a person caught up by the law. I’m an idiot because 20 pounds of it is already packaged and on its way

Upvote 0

ReeferZ1227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently picked up the hobby with over a million questions but I will keep them for myself to find out through trial and error. My main question is the size of this “used “ glass tempered tank I purchased that I will be attempting to run a LPS ONLY along with a few fish this reef tank.. it’s a 120 gallon display box with a 40 breeder sump.sadly the display box is tempered and I will not be able to drill.. Will I be able to pull out enough flow to with ahang on over flow box ? Or should I pitch the tank and buy acrylic ? Any suggestions are much much appreciative
How long do you plan to run the tank? My buddy gave me his used 125. I am extremely invested into it at this point. In hindsight i wish i would have bought a new tank, even if the same size. I also dont want to switch now, because my tanks doing really well growing coral.

Moral of the story is youre not invested into it right now. You could easily flip your current tank and move into another used tank thats drilled or has non tempered glass. You wouldnt be asking this question if you actually wanted to deal with HOB overflows. Could you make HOB work, yes, can you still change it for relatively low effort/cost? Yup. Once its setup, you become invested and obligated to that tank.

Upvote 0

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool thank you , I’m ordering it right now. Hey quick question on a different note. If I’m running this tank with quarry dry rock , do I treat the cycling process on the rock the same as the fish cycle ? I guess what I’m asking is how do I know when the rock is cycled and ready for some basic soft corals, leathers/ Zia’s?
I use the same dry rock. Use 1 source of bacteria to cycle the tank with the water, dry rock and sand to cycle all of it. Like get 1 bacteria in a bottle like Dr Tims or Fritz Turbo Start, or get live sand like CaribSea DirectOcean live sand. Stuff works great.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Denver5280

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here, this everything he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^

HOB Overflow is fine just keep the pump sized to match the overhang. I tend to pick a pump that maxes out a little less than the overhang can support.

Also if you want insurance get a Hydros or Apex controller that has power control and get a water level sensor that way you can have the controller turn off the pump if the tank water level gets too high.
Da da
right lol . The tank was free but it’s still an amazing display considering the age of it and it is used. Truly thank you for being legit i would have hated to see it in pieces. Quick question about cycling this query reef rock I’m using, Dr
How long do you plan to run the tank? My buddy gave me his used 125. I am extremely invested into it at this point. In hindsight i wish i would have bought a new tank, even if the same size. I also dont want to switch now, because my tanks doing really well growing coral.

Moral of the story is youre not invested into it right now. You could easily flip your current tank and move into another used tank thats drilled or has non tempered glass. You wouldnt be asking this question if you actually wanted to deal with HOB overflows. Could you make HOB work, yes, can you still change it for relatively low effort/cost? Yup. Once its setup, you become invested and obligated to

Moral of the story is youre not invested into it right now. You could easily flip your current tank and move into another used tank thats drilled or has non tempered glass. You wouldnt be asking this question if you actually wanted to deal with HOB overflows. Could you make HOB work, yes, can you still change it for relatively low effort/cost? Yup. Once its setup, you become invested and obligated to that tank.
I have no idea how I tagged my question “emergency “ truly appreciate the good advice. The tank was free, I could care less what happens to it , I’m going to go ahead and purchase a new tank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Denver5280

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Denver5280

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 180g in my aquarium showcase has been running for years with two hob overflows and basement sump. Drilled is better IMO but not a necessity.

EDIT. I have never lost syphon in 6 years and turn pumps off and back on with no issue. The only risk of flooding that I have seen is if the return pump is too strong and pushes water faster that the returns can handle which can happen in a drilled tank as well. Most of the horror stories of hobs flooding are from people that did not run them correctly and I think many stories are from people that have never even run hobs but read online about them causing floods and it just gets repeated over and over.

Upvote 0

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the hob from Life Reef. I ran one of those on a tank and it never lost siphon.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Denver5280

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool and thanks for sharing the great advice. I’m attempting to have a basement sump as well. I’m very close to abandoning this idea tho. I finished a rough concept idea (demoing ) for the the hard plumbing between the two levels of the house today, leaving me with mixed emotions necessitating this concept of running max volume of water. Any tips or advice on running a basement sump would help immensely! I investing in a high end equipment , mainly the 2 GPh return pumps, 1 is a back up unless I should run both a lower setting? I don’t know , I’m rambling , hope to hear back

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Denver5280

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool and thanks for sharing the great advice. I’m attempting to have a basement sump as well. I’m very close to abandoning this idea tho. I finished a rough concept idea (demoing ) for the the hard plumbing between the two levels of the house today, leaving me with mixed emotions necessitating this concept of running max volume of water. Any tips or advice on running a basement sump would help immensely! I investing in a high end equipment , mainly the 2 GPh return pumps, 1 is a back up unless I should run both a lower setting? I don’t know , I’m rambling , hope to hear back

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run a 55G with a float switch and siphon kickstart contraption for 3 years. I won't do it again. My new frag system is drilled, and a lot easier to manage.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back