Tempered Glass Identification

Mr Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, found out the hard way the panel on my aqueon 75 gal from petco was tempered. Tried the ole computer screen with polarized glasses trick but that didn’t work. Does anyone have a cheap handheld tool that can be brought to Petco in hopes of identifying and distinguishing between a tempered/non-tempered panel?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use your phone and a pair of polarized sunglasses. If it's tempered, after the screen goes black, you'll see streaking. If not tempered, it's just solid black. To verify what the streaking looks like, most driver and passenger side windows in cars are tempered glass. Try the windows first so you know what to look for....or what not to look for.

OP
OP
Mr Hughes

Mr Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use your phone and a pair of polarized sunglasses. If it's tempered, after the screen goes black, you'll see streaking. If not tempered, it's just solid black. To verify what the streaking looks like, most driver and passenger side windows in cars are tempered glass. Try the windows first so you know what to look for....or what not to look for.
I tried using my phone before but as I went to re-check, remembered I have a dang tempered screen protector… . Live and learn…

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't work with modern phones. It only works with lcd screens and most phones nowadays have oled screens.
Well, found out the hard way the panel on my aqueon 75 gal from petco was tempered. Tried the ole computer screen with polarized glasses trick but that didn’t work. Does anyone have a cheap handheld tool that can be brought to Petco in hopes of identifying and distinguishing between a tempered/non-tempered panel?
Just buy two polarising filters. Doesn't matter if they are circular or linear, they just need to be both of the same kind.

OP
OP
Mr Hughes

Mr Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't work with modern phones. It only works with lcd screens and most phones nowadays have oled screens.

Just buy two polarising filters. Doesn't matter if they are circular or linear, they just need to be both of the same kind.
Ripped off the screen protector on my iPhone 14 Pro Max and can clearly see the lines now. Oh well. Just another hiccup, I mean learning experience, in the hobby lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back