My tank is tempered glass:(

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently picked up the hobby with over a million questions but I will keep them for myself to find out through trial and error. My main question is the size of this “used “ glass tempered tank I purchased that I will be attempting to run a LPS ONLY along with a few fish this reef tank.. it’s a 120 gallon display box with a 40 breeder sump.sadly the display box is tempered and I will not be able to drill.. Will I be able to pull out enough flow to with ahang on over flow box ? Or should I pitch the tank and buy acrylic ? Any suggestions are much much appreciative

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure a hang on overflow box would be able to handle enough flow through it. It’s just that they are a pain to deal with. Endless problems with siphon break, eventually leading to water on the floor.

Upvote 0

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 180g in my aquarium showcase has been running for years with two hob overflows and basement sump. Drilled is better IMO but not a necessity.

EDIT. I have never lost syphon in 6 years and turn pumps off and back on with no issue. The only risk of flooding that I have seen is if the return pump is too strong and pushes water faster that the returns can handle which can happen in a drilled tank as well. Most of the horror stories of hobs flooding are from people that did not run them correctly and I think many stories are from people that have never even run hobs but read online about them causing floods and it just gets repeated over and over.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Recently picked up the hobby with over a million questions but I will keep them for myself to find out through trial and error. My main question is the size of this “used “ glass tempered tank I purchased that I will be attempting to run a LPS ONLY along with a few fish this reef tank.. it’s a 120 gallon display box with a 40 breeder sump.sadly the display box is tempered and I will not be able to drill.. Will I be able to pull out enough flow to with ahang on over flow box ? Or should I pitch the tank and buy acrylic ? Any suggestions are much much appreciative
Are you 100% sure it’s tempered? Google how to check. I think you get like polarized glasses or something of that nature.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Denver5280

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you 100% sure it’s tempered? Google how to check. I think you get like polarized glasses or something of that nature.
It’s for sure tempered, has a huge factory stamp on the base labeled “tempered” . I didn’t do my research nor did I inspect it when I purchased it used.completely my fault ..It’s a dam shame because the glass is in flawless condition. Any thoughts on attempting to run a pump with hard plumbing or flex tube to pull water over the rim ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Denver5280

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure a hang on overflow box would be able to handle enough flow through it. It’s just that they are a pain to deal with. Endless problems with siphon break, eventually leading to water on the floor.
Right on and thank you for taking time to respond to my dilemma. Last question and this is in regards to my dry rock curing at the moment. Is it okay to ad fritz turbo to the trash can I have them in? Also I have a friend in Maui who is willing to ship me Rock pulled from that day , I just have zero knowledge on what I should expect months down the road by adding either option or rock? My display is currently completely empty of salt water and I’m debating to wait for the cure or have him ship rock tomorrow

Upvote 0

Brett7397

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right on and thank you for taking time to respond to my dilemma. Last question and this is in regards to my dry rock curing at the moment. Is it okay to ad fritz turbo to the trash can I have them in? Also I have a friend in Maui who is willing to ship me Rock pulled from that day , I just have zero knowledge on what I should expect months down the road by adding either option or rock? My display is currently completely empty of salt water and I’m debating to wait for the cure or have him ship rock tomorrow

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Denver5280

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 180g in my aquarium showcase has been running for years with two hob overflows and basement sump. Drilled is better IMO but not a necessity.

EDIT. I have never lost syphon in 6 years and turn pumps off and back on with no issue. The only risk of flooding that I have seen is if the return pump is too strong and pushes water faster that the returns can handle which can happen in a drilled tank as well. Most of the horror stories of hobs flooding are from people that did not run them correctly and I think many stories are from people that have never even run hobs but read online about them causing floods and it just gets repeated over and over.
Here, this everything he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^

HOB Overflow is fine just keep the pump sized to match the overhang. I tend to pick a pump that maxes out a little less than the overhang can support.

Also if you want insurance get a Hydros or Apex controller that has power control and get a water level sensor that way you can have the controller turn off the pump if the tank water level gets too high.

Upvote 0

Brett7397

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most of the time the bottom is the only tempered part. I have a marineland 75 gallon with the same sticker on the bottom. I have checked the sides with polarized glasses and a cell phone. Go on you tube and search how to check for tempered glass.

Upvote 0

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 120 with a stamp on the bottom and it was only the bottom that was tempered but it still scared me to drill it joey the king of diy has a couple pvc over flows on his youtube channel

Upvote 0

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, why is this tagged emergency?? It sounds like you have not filled the tank yet.

Upvote 0

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
It’s for sure tempered, has a huge factory stamp on the base labeled “tempered” . I didn’t do my research nor did I inspect it when I purchased it used.completely my fault ..It’s a dam shame because the glass is in flawless condition. Any thoughts on attempting to run a pump with hard plumbing or flex tube to pull water over the rim ?
Buy an external overflow and drill the back

Upvote 0

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't listen to the people who want to risk YOUR tank. HOB Overflows work just fine. Don't be bullied.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Denver5280

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time the bottom is the only tempered part. I have a marineland 75 gallon with the same sticker on the bottom. I have checked the sides with polarized glasses and a cell phone. Go on you tube and search how to check for p
Also, why is this tagged emergency?? It sounds like you have not filled the tank yet.
I had no idea I tagged it “emergency “ god forgive me

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You will. Years ago it was our only option. At times was a pain in the rear to get primed but once flowing was great

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back