My tank not evaporating?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the past few days my tank have not been evaporating? It takes a long time like 6-7 hours to just fill once if any. Im confused im filling 1-2 days a day. I have the Red Sea ato plus. Is it humidity? It’s been in the 58% humide in my basement

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn your ato off and mark the level of the water. You'll notice different evaporation rates during different times of the year.

A lid or closing a door can really make a difference.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn your ato off and mark the level of the water. You'll notice different evaporation rates during different times of the year.

A lid or closing a door can really make a difference.
I have my Red Sea ato plus. And i can watch the sensor water level on my phone, and it’s not evaporating as fast as before. At all. It takes literally hours and hours to dump maybe twice

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Red Sea ato plus. And i can watch the sensor water level on my phone, and it’s not evaporating as fast as before. At all. It takes literally hours and hours to dump maybe twice
If the ato is triggering at the correct low point and filling the tank to the correct high point, you can not worry so much about how many times it fills per day.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had slow evap days before, it just dpeneds on difference in temps between your water and the enbient air, air circulation and humidity.

The only other factor I would consider is mechanical filtration letting more water through giving the appearance of less evaporation, but this would be unusual. Typically ut would be the other way around as mechanical filtration clogs up it would give the appearance of increased evaporation.

Another thing that would mask evaporation is if the total volume of water held in a reactor or skimmer has decreased, such as when air pressure within the air circulation portion of your skimmer is under lower preassur, it will have less water contained within it.

This can all be verified by checking your salinity a few times, if it is increasing, then you do have evaporation and the water level not changing is a seperate issue. If your salinity remains the same, you are experiencing low evaperation.

I have had humid cool temperature days put a near stop to evaporation for a day before, so it's not super uncommon.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AIO with a lid and I never see evaporation, either. If you're doubting your ATO, just put a mark in the back of the tank where it doesn't show, where your water line is and monitor that for a few days. It may just not be evaporating enough to count.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To expand on this, I occasionally have an issue where it seems like my evaporation has gone through the roof, but then I notice my salinity has dropped a little, and if I brush off the inlet on my overflow, suddenly my return chamber is over filled.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had slow evap days before, it just dpeneds on difference in temps between your water and the enbient air, air circulation and humidity.

The only other factor I would consider is mechanical filtration letting more water through giving the appearance of less evaporation, but this would be unusual. Typically ut would be the other way around as mechanical filtration clogs up it would give the appearance of increased evaporation.

Another thing that would mask evaporation is if the total volume of water held in a reactor or skimmer has decreased, such as when air pressure within the air circulation portion of your skimmer is under lower preassur, it will have less water contained within it.

This can all be verified by checking your salinity a few times, if it is increasing, then you do have evaporation and the water level not changing is a seperate issue. If your salinity remains the same, you are experiencing low evaperation.

I have had humid cool temperature days put a near stop to evaporation for a day before, so it's not super uncommon.
My dehumidifier broke going to buy one today. My temp is 77F same tanks water temp. And its 62% humid.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back