OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and “stable”. Good luck with your flame angel babies, keep us posted.

I thought star fish were a no-no with seahorses, or is it just the serpent type? What type is yours?
Well I don't do well with no-no's. I have been doing seahorses for a while and have good luck with them and mixing other things in their tank. I use the standards guides and advice but also use common sense with observation. I wouldn't do fast moving serpent starfish or large carnivorous starfish. I've researched this starfish.

These are a florida starfish they are omnivorous they like algal films, sponges, copepods and other small things like small snails occasionally. They stay small not more than 4 inches usually. They are fairly slow moving. They live in the same waters as erectus which is what those seahorses are. Our local marine lab puts them in with seahorses so I thought I'd try it (years ago). I've had these types in my tank for years with no harm. One nice thing they actually live well in the tanks. They don't slowly die like some starfish. Of course when trying something new you must be observant. My tanks are seahorse FIRST but not only. So anything that is negative to the seahorse has to go.

This is the first time I've put them in with the seahorse babies. I want to breed the starfish and the baby tank has low flow so I"m hoping to see the spawning.

I've kept a close eye out and have watched a baby seahorse swim up to the starfish and latch on. Then later swim off. They seem to like the hitches on the side of the tank. The baby tank currently has 12 seahorses and 9 starfish. I hope not to sell these babies until their color develops, but I have already sold most of the batch cause i like money..... Well with 9 starfish and 12 seahorses I'll know soon enough if they pose any risk to even a small seahorse. My current observations are the seahorses actually seem to like them. I have caught them starfish riding now 4 times.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don't do well with no-no's. I have been doing seahorses for a while and have good luck with them and mixing other things in their tank. I use the standards guides and advice but also use common sense with observation. I wouldn't do fast moving serpent starfish or large carnivorous starfish. I've researched this starfish.

These are a florida starfish they are omnivorous they like algal films, sponges, copepods and other small things like small snails occasionally. They stay small not more than 4 inches usually. They are fairly slow moving. They live in the same waters as erectus which is what those seahorses are. Our local marine lab puts them in with seahorses so I thought I'd try it (years ago). I've had these types in my tank for years with no harm. One nice thing they actually live well in the tanks. They don't slowly die like some starfish. Of course when trying something new you must be observant. My tanks are seahorse FIRST but not only. So anything that is negative to the seahorse has to go.

This is the first time I've put them in with the seahorse babies. I want to breed the starfish and the baby tank has low flow so I"m hoping to see the spawning.

I've kept a close eye out and have watched a baby seahorse swim up to the starfish and latch on. Then later swim off. They seem to like the hitches on the side of the tank. The baby tank currently has 12 seahorses and 9 starfish. I hope not to sell these babies until their color develops, but I have already sold most of the batch cause i like money..... Well with 9 starfish and 12 seahorses I'll know soon enough if they pose any risk to even a small seahorse. My current observations are the seahorses actually seem to like them. I have caught them starfish riding now 4 times.
Thanks for the reply.I will dig into that a little deeper as I would like some beneficial stars in my tank, especially if they stay on the s mare side like yours.

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it seems to be a daily thing. Today was one of the littliest turns. These are juveniles about 1.5 inches long (seahorse).

Starfish Riding 2Em C.JPG

Pescador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain how you have seahorses in a reef tank? I was under the impression that they did not like much flow and would therefor be incompatible with my reef tank.
My seahorse tank has been turning into a reef. From what I've been reading, it sounds like the notion that seahorses need low flow is old and incorrect.

Check out these articles for the other point of view:
https://seahorsesavvy.com/blogs/news/water-flow-in-a-seahorse-aquarium

I try to provide a variety of conditions in my reef with areas or higher and lower flow, and bright and dim lighting. When I had to take my seahorses home from my larger classroom tank to my home 28 gal nano (too small, but was necessary) when schools shut down last year, my male would hitch right under the job filter and bathe in the flow. I used to put the power head on a timer as well, so the corals would get their highest flow during the middle of the day when the seahorses were less active. I keep the water cooler, too. My corals don't seem to mind 76 degree water at all.

So, with planning, you can keep seahorses in a reef.

Pescador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What species are the starfish?

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I say mine isn't a reef and it really isn't. I don't think I could or will ever go full reef.

First I run a chiller and do 73 degrees. There is a bacteria called vibrio that can be devastating for seahorses. Some Literature seems to indicate that vibrio has trouble below 74 degrees.

Second I don't have loooow flow but I don't have typical reef flow.

Third Seahorses need lots of hiding and holding places. Many reefers wouldn't like a fish constantly rubbing their acropora. This tank is in a reboot stage cause it had a leak but I've always put a few corals way up high because my horses don't usually use that part of the tank much except for mating. Now on my seahorse tower they do use it because it has good hiding spots.

Fourth. Many corals are stinging or release chemicals. I avoid zoas even though they don't sting but because of the chemical release. I wouldn't ever do an anemone or LPS with long sweeper tentacles. But there are several things that I think could be in there in moderation such as gorgonian, leather, kenya, xenia, mushrooms, acropora, montipora, lepto, pavona

Fifth most reefs are wall to wall coral Seahorses like algae. Or at least erectus. They are normally found among grassy areas. It provides tailholds and hiding spots. They are ambush predators. So I have algae in my tank. It provides those things plus nutrient uptake. Seahorses are hard on nutrients. I have algae, a skimmer, a chaeto reactor, a fine filter, I vacuum 2x per day with an enhiem and normall have a sand sifter to clean as well as other clean up crew and then manual water changes. If you are worried about a little phosphate or such...... like a reefer seahorses make a mess. I don't think wall to wall is great for them so I just add a few. Most color in my tank is sponges which feed off bacteria.

6th Algae. Never hurts to repeat this. Not only do I grow macro algae. Do to the feeding schedule, copepods, amphipods and other natural foods I want in my tank for the seahorses, I usually have a little algae hanging around that I don't really try to get rid off. This is hard on corals.

All that being said. I keep a seahorse tank. The water, the temperature, everything is for them. I might buy a cheap coral and stick it someplace and see if it lives. If it does great. If it doesn't it wasn't meant for a seahorse tank.

I think there are a lot of possibilities for things in a seahorse tank. There are some good lists but they started by people trying things other than clean tank with seahorses only. Just be ethical. Make sure your fish are happy in their glass box. Read on your own. See what literature and forums say but also use common sense. Maybe you'll discover the next great thing that can go in our seahorse tanks.

I think it is much more desirable for the seahorse to be in a 120 gallon tank with a few add on corals then in a 30 gallon tank by itself.

Wow this soap box has gotten high. Back to cute pictures.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species are the starfish?
1622209065940.png

Brown Spiny seastar

Diet / Feeding​

• This species is often found scavenging off dead animals or in association with oysters, clams and snails.
  • It will evert its stomach to digest food externally, but do not retract the stomach into the body with a food item. This makes it possible for the brown spiny sea star to feed on oysters and other mollusks that are attached to a substrate.
  • This species does not always finish a food item, and may move off a food source after a period of time.

Range / Habitat​

• Brown spiny sea star occurs in the Western Atlantic from Florida and Southern Bahamas to the Northern coast of South America and the Gulf of Mexico.
  • Found on rocky reefs and sand flats, as well as man-made structures at depths of 0 to 130 feet (0 to 39.6 m).

Here they are on a seahorse site for $39.99 but I can get you some for less than that. :)
1622209731894.png

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help and information. I have scanned through all of the seahorse forum titles and read a vast majority of them. I am surprised that it isn’t a more active thread and many that started it are no longer on R2R.

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's Ice she's an arctic queen. She is naturally small as was her mom. I was happy to see the color manifest in Snow's babies. Snow passed from being egg bound but her color lives on.

Ice A C  TN.jpg

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and “stable”. Good luck with your flame angel babies, keep us posted.

Hey I kept thinking about this comment.
I couldn't tell if it was sarcastic or not.
Couldn't tell if you were talking about the rock work or the parameters of the tank.

Anyway.

The rock work is very stable. Seahorses pull with their tails and can actually pull quite hard. So all the rock is on a PVC base structure. The rock is drilled with a circular hole bit made for door knobs and then set down on the PVC which covers the right side of the tank in 5 main columns. Every piece of rock is on the PVC except one. the left seahorse tower is made of PVC covered in epoxy and then mashed with crushed coralline aggregate. So there is no rock on sand to increase the bio filter surface area and to decrease the chance of shifting rockwork.

I know it isn't the prettiest rock work but I made it with ledges and large open spaces for the seahorses to be able to hide and spread out.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sarcastic, “stable“ as in a barn where horses are kept LOL. The good luck part was for your angels, I also want to diversify my tank with some other larger and mid sized fish.

I have seen a couple of other aquascapes that used PVC not sure if I will go through the extra work to do that or just use glue and mortar and look everything together that way.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love this tank and I very rarely say that. It is very natural looking and we rarely see that any more as everyone is going for a "stick" tank.
I really like it. :)
Very rarely does anyone add macro algae and I also used to add chain as that is the best sea horse hitching post. Just beautiful

Can you explain how you have seahorses in a reef tank? I was under the impression that they did not like much flow and would therefor be incompatible with my reef tank.
This is not true. I collect seahorses all the time here in New York and they are very common in estuaries with high flow.
I kept them, bred them and raised them in my full blown reef but I had to separate them with a mesh to feed them due to my other fish.

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sarcastic, “stable“ as in a barn where horses are kept LOL. The good luck part was for your angels, I also want to diversify my tank with some other larger and mid sized fish.

I have seen a couple of other aquascapes that used PVC not sure if I will go through the extra work to do that or just use glue and mortar and look everything together that way.
I love that kind of stable :cool:

I went the PVC so I could have a rather large pile of rocks for 'live' rock, amphipods, hiding places and knew I want a few open caves. It wasn't too hard.

And when my tank started leaking in April and I had to disassemble the tank to reseal I was so glad I could life those rocks individually. My rock structure takes up 1/2 my tank and is over 100 pounds. I couldn't lift that up. I'm short so I have a hard time reaching the bottom of my tank even standing on a stool.

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. How do you keep the flame angels From outcompeting the seahorses for food
I don't. I simply overfeed with the pumps off for about 20 to 40 minutes. They all pick up what they want and then I vacuum with an enhiem power vac and I have a clean up crew - peppermint shrimp and a bella goby. The bella actually makes the vacuuming almost un-needed. Don't let the scale fool you here that's a 6 to 7 inch sand sifter.

Bellas New.JPG

I also keep the tank stocked with copepods, amphipods and ghost shrimp occasionally for fun, all around nutrition and so that can participate in natural all day hunting. They certainly don't need those things because they eat enough at the 2 per day feedings. There are times like now when I'm busy they don't get the shrimp or the amphipod population starts to dwindle.

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love this tank and I very rarely say that. It is very natural looking and we rarely see that any more as everyone is going for a "stick" tank.
I really like it. :)
Very rarely does anyone add macro algae and I also used to add chain as that is the best sea horse hitching post. Just beautiful

This is not true. I collect seahorses all the time here in New York and they are very common in estuaries with high flow.
I kept them, bred them and raised them in my full blown reef but I had to separate them with a mesh to feed them due to my other fish.
Paul that's the highest complement ever. I have been a fan of yours for a longtime. I've built and used your brine shrimp feeder as well.

I did want to go for a natural look though eventually I'll add some corals up high. Ironically they don't use the chain much. I did too good of a job building the seahorse tower on the left. I have 10 horses and most of them use the seahorse tower. a few scoot under the ledges on the right. That will end now that I put Bella back in the tank. I was slowly adding back fish because after the tank restart I want to give it time for the filter to catch up. But Bella will eventually bury the bottom level of rocks that have the largest ledges. I'm working on gorgonians as well. That forest will get larger.

I used the Turbo Start from Algae Barn but I have a heavy bio load so I added back slow. 1/2 the horses were being fostered for like 3 weeks at the LFS. I kept a few pregnant males here in smaller tank and the angels in the 40 gallon sump. It was a mess.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went thru your entire thread again. It appears we have parallel paths running so I am curious as to your tank size, skimmer, return flow rate and tank circulation. I originally was going to do a 180 split tank but think I will be running into some structural issues. So thinking of downsizing to a 120 peaceful tank with some macros, softies, and a couple of other SAFE corals.

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went thru your entire thread again. It appears we have parallel paths running so I am curious as to your tank size, skimmer, return flow rate and tank circulation. I originally was going to do a 180 split tank but think I will be running into some structural issues. So thinking of downsizing to a 120 peaceful tank with some macros, softies, and a couple of other SAFE corals.
Mine's a 120 gallon with a large sump. I don't know the other stuff as this was a used tank that some reefer sold cheap locally. I am currently working on tons of stuff but I'll try and get more info tomorrow or the next day for you.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No rush and appreciate, just want to start comparing some of the equipment others are using.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back