My techniques for growing SPS

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Swanny. Are you using recipe 1 or 2 for two part? What's your PH running?

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup, one day Ill get into sps.
Thanks! I see that you're fairly local. If you're ever going to be in the area and want to check it out, just shoot me a PM.
Nice Swanny. Are you using recipe 1 or 2 for two part? What's your PH running?
I use recipe 1 and my pH runs between 8.3 and 8.5

I set up my ATO to help stabilize pH as much as possible. My alk buffer (2-part) runs on my dosing pumps for about 20 minutes, four times a day starting during my dusk lighting period (6:00 PM, 9:00 PM, 12:00 AM, and 3 AM) in an effort to help boost pH after lights out. Also, my ATO only runs through the kalk reactor at night. Seeing as I set it up on my apex, I was able to use two pumps for my ATO depending on the time. From 5:00 PM until 7:00 AM, the ATO runs through the kalk reactor to help boost pH, but from 7:00 AM until 5:00 PM it just tops off with fresh R/O water from a second pump to prevent the pH from getting too high.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man. Awesome growth. Congrats.

Thanks! I've been really happy with the growth, but I've kept very little SPS in past tanks, so I don't have much to compare it to.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS doesn't do that well in my DT, but grow well in my frag tank where nutrients are a bit higher and the light isn't nearly as intense. To be honest, I think my lighting is way too strong for most LPS in my display, to the point that photoinhibition takes place. I don't really have that much LPS in my DT.... a couple acan echinatas, some favias, a lobo, a wellso, and a couple scolies. My 125 that was up prior to the 180 was LPS dominated and I used a completely different technique in that tank. I'll rustle up some pics of my LPS for you, Mike. Polyps on the other hand seem to love the low nutrients in my tank, I'll get some pics of those too.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good!! Same here but I love lps so much I build lots of ledges to keep them shades from the light. Cant wait to see the pics! I know u hot great taste! :)

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread by the way. Thanks for sharing your technique. I'll definitely follow your model if I was learning and was planning to do an Sps dominant tank.

milkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for taking the time to share your progress. Great shots showing the phenomenal growth.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some LPS pics from my DT. Lights are out, so they're old pics, but I can try to snap some new ones tomorrow.
IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_2137-2.jpg

IMG_9926.jpg

IMG_2669-1.jpg

IMG_6716.jpg

IMG_6511.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3116.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scott do you still have your purple monster or your PM look-a-like? If I remember correctly you had both right?

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread by the way. Thanks for sharing your technique. I'll definitely follow your model if I was learning and was planning to do an Sps dominant tank.
Thanks Mike, hopefully threads like this will help some new people get into SPS. I was in the hobby for several years before I got the courage to try out any SPS. With a bit of research and picking the brains of people who kept SPS successfully, I was able to take the plunge.
Thanks for taking the time to share your progress. Great shots showing the phenomenal growth.
Thanks!
Hey Scott do you still have your purple monster or your PM look-a-like? If I remember correctly you had both right?
I still have the legit PM, although I haven't gotten much Vertical growth. It's completely encrusted the plug at this point, but not too much growth yet. Unfortunately, the maricultured knock-off got knocked onto an acan echinata and RTNd afterwards. R.I.P.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I see that you're fairly local. If you're ever going to be in the area and want to check it out, just shoot me a PM.

I use recipe 1 and my pH runs between 8.3 and 8.5

I set up my ATO to help stabilize pH as much as possible. My alk buffer (2-part) runs on my dosing pumps for about 20 minutes, four times a day starting during my dusk lighting period (6:00 PM, 9:00 PM, 12:00 AM, and 3 AM) in an effort to help boost pH after lights out. Also, my ATO only runs through the kalk reactor at night. Seeing as I set it up on my apex, I was able to use two pumps for my ATO depending on the time. From 5:00 PM until 7:00 AM, the ATO runs through the kalk reactor to help boost pH, but from 7:00 AM until 5:00 PM it just tops off with fresh R/O water from a second pump to prevent the pH from getting too high.

Sure, Ill let you know.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10th ones are bowsers? Or Sc rainbows?
Actually they're just CARs that have been blasted with light... Bowsers are beautiful, but way too pricey for my taste. I'll snap a pic of the SC rainbows tomorrow for you!

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok excuse me while I go make some bowsers right now. :p

I know, right....time to post in the selling forum. I'll just sidestep any questions about lineage, lol :tongue:

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff Swanny! We need to get some more folks here into SPS. And this should help for sure. Great looking tank! : )

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 102 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back