My Tin is 25.78. How bad is that?

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All my tests at home indicated everything was good, but I was losing LPS and then SPS. ICP test came back and it looks like my Tin is 25(?) times higher than it should be.

Am I reading that correctly?

I've looked all over my sump and can't find anything rusting out. I did find a rusty screw in my RO bin, but it was removed a couple weeks before the ICP test and the bin was cleaned out.

1692734626534.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know if tin high enough to be an issue or not (like many trace elements, bioavailability and toxicity depends on the chemical form of it present, and icp does not provide such info.

Can you post the full icp data set?

OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not know if tin high enough to be an issue or not (like many trace elements, bioavailability and toxicity depends on the chemical form of it present, and icp does not provide such info.

Can you post the full icp data set?
Thank you for taking the time to look at this! I've attached my test results below.

Attachments

• ICP Test.pdf
    381.3 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the Salinity shown on the ICP is correct , that is more likely to be the main issue.

How are you measuring salinity?
I caught that too. I ordered some calibration solution off Amazon. I have 2 different refractometer and a Hanna probe, and I’m not getting 30ppm.

OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update: I found some Hanna calibration packets. It was reading 1.025, but after calibration I was actually at 1.024. No biggy I suppose.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I found some Hanna calibration packets. It was reading 1.025, but after calibration I was actually at 1.024. No biggy I suppose.
If you're using the Hanna Salinity probe you should switch it to read in PSU and aim for 35.

Also, make sure that the calibration solution is at the same temperature as the tank water before using it for calibration.

OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any other thoughts on my tin situation? Is that general consensus to leave it be if I don’t see any obvious rust?

I’d kinda think my other metals would be super goofy if my tin was high due to rust. Righ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%

Back