My torch is dying!?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP:

I wouldn't focus so much on your chemistry with the exception of your nitrates - bringing those up a little would help. You can accomplish that by adding more fish, feeding your current fish a little more (both add nitrates), or cutting back on your refugium lighting schedule. (this assumes you have macroalgae growing as a way to take out nitrate). It's all about balancing what you put in, with what you take out. All of the chemistry numbers are highly debatable, successful tanks run with many different chemistry profiles, don't get all hung up about it just now. Just work on getting them roughly the same from one week to the next, especially your alk.

As for your torch, euphyllia are pretty forgiving but they will retract if given the wrong amount of flow. Take a look at how much your torch is getting. It should be somewhere between moving "gently in the breeze" to maybe a little more (hard to tell if it is retracted I know. ). You could test by adding food near the coral and watch what happens. If it just drops to the sand you need more flow.

Euphyllia will also retract if the light is wrong. Err on the side of too low. If the torch is just under a light or high up, try moving it down. If it's already on the bottom of your tank, move it up just a little.

HTH and best of luck. Keep us posted :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back