My Triton results, elevated chromium I believe from Red sea blue bucket salt

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am posting my Triton results that I got back today. Over all I do not think bad. It showed that I was too low in some trace metals, but I am really not concerned about that. It shows elevated Chromium and aluminum. This was the 6th Triton ICP test I have had done. I switched salts from IO to Red sea blue bucket in the middle and that was when my chromium showed up, and has stayed at a rather consistent level. Based off of what I have read I do not think it is a concern at the level mine is (8.22 ug/l). Anyone else think I should be concerned? Anyone else use Red sea blue bucket and have elevated Chromium? I have seen a few threads on here where people said they did.

Attachments

• Apr Water test.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley , Ironically you and I were just discussing Triton values in a different thread. Do you mind taking a look at my results and see if you see any issues? Like I said in the previous comment, the Chromium has been fairly consistent 9.3ug/l, 10ug/l, and now 8.2 ug/l. The aluminum that was elevated has me more puzzled then the Chromium as I have now 12ug/l and have never had over 1.9. Last month it was actually zero.

Thank you (especially since I know you get asked this all the time)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potassium is low and I'd raise it.

Not sure where chromium might be coming from, but a hose clamp might be a source.

I have mostly pvc, the few hose clamps I have are the plastic ones.

I gather from your suggestion that you do not think it is from the salt then? I am suspicious because it showed up when I switched from IO to Red sea blue bucket.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mostly pvc, the few hose clamps I have are the plastic ones.

I gather from your suggestion that you do not think it is from the salt then? I am suspicious because it showed up when I switched from IO to Red sea blue bucket.

It might be a problem with the salt.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I shoot for potasium?
It might be a problem with the salt.

At 8.2ug/l, would you consider it a problem? Months back I had some elevated copper and a few other metals, never found anything glaring. 2 screws above my sump, and a wetside to a mp40 that was a little rusty. I corrected those, and now AFTER that it shows chromium. Just wondering if this level is actually a problem at all

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back