My Tsunami lid fell apart...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have, unfortunately, encountered some issues with the first gen Tsunamis, but we stand behind our work and if you will email me at [email protected] we will replace your original Tsunamis, free of charge, with the Tsunami generation we make now. (not the Pisces EXO, as that is a totally different product) A new Tsunami lid should not cause you to experience such problems, but if it did, we would replace that one, as well.

Our current Tsunamis have been changed to survive wear and tear of moving the lid, and general use by upgrading and relocating the interlocking joints and tabbing system. We are no longer experiencing these issues with the newer design. As with all new great ideas, these lids have been tweaked, reworked and countless hours of R&D have gone into making them a much more sustainable lid. They have been configured differently than our first generation Tsunamis.

We do have a new lid called the Pisces EXO, it does have interlocking joints, somewhat similar, and yet so different than the modular Tsunami design. This design serves several purposes that the Tsunami does not, as some reefers have differing needs. You can view a video posted by Reefbuilders to see the wonders of the Pisces EXO. Please note that, in his excitement, Jake Adams refers to it a Tsunami. It is, in fact the Pisces EXO.

Thank you! I will be dropping you an email soon.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue - apparently mine is a gen 2 tsunami but still similar weakness points. My lid is less than a year old. All 4 corners show signs of strain and one corner completely broke. I fixed it with gorilla glue. Artfully Acrylic said this one did not warrant a replacement.

20190921_102758.jpg

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue - apparently mine is a gen 2 tsunami but still similar weakness points. My lid is less than a year old. All 4 corners show signs of strain and one corner completely broke. I fixed it with gorilla glue. Artfully Acrylic said this one did not warrant a replacement.

20190921_102758.jpg
1. We did not replace a SECOND generation Tsunami due to neglect, as the product itself is not faulty.
2. You were offered a very generous discount on a lid without warranting this dispensation.
3. In chemistry, efflorescence (which means "to flower out" in French) is the migration of a salt to the surface of a porous material, where it forms a coating. The essential process involves the dissolving of an internally held salt in water, or occasionally in another solvent. The water, with the salt now held in solution, migrates to the surface, then evaporates, leaving a coating of the salt.

Efflorescence can occur in natural and built environments.

Efflorescence may clog the pores of porous materials, resulting in the destruction of those materials.

Here are three cropped images of the areas affected on this lid by neglect sent to us by you and reviewed by our team. (please note, again, that our website at the time of purchase and our new site recommend regular rinsing in fresh water to remove salt creep)

LH Cropped.jpg LH cropped 2.jpg LH cropped 3.jpg

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. We did not replace a SECOND generation Tsunami due to neglect, as the product itself is not faulty.
2. You were offered a very generous discount on a lid without warranting this dispensation.
3. In chemistry, efflorescence (which means "to flower out" in French) is the migration of a salt to the surface of a porous material, where it forms a coating. The essential process involves the dissolving of an internally held salt in water, or occasionally in another solvent. The water, with the salt now held in solution, migrates to the surface, then evaporates, leaving a coating of the salt.

Efflorescence may clog the pores of porous materials, resulting in the destruction of those materials.

Here are three cropped images of the areas affected on this lid by neglect sent to us by you and reviewed by our team. (please note, again, that our website at the time of purchase and our new site recommend regular rinsing in fresh water to remove salt creep)

LH Cropped.jpg LH cropped 2.jpg LH cropped 3.jpg
I will let the people judge for themselves, but let's give them whole story. I took the lid directly off the tank when I was about to clean the tank and didn't bother wiping down the lid like I normally do before I sent you the pictures. The third picture is layers of gorilla glue. I reached out after ALL of my corners started deteriorating and finally one corner broke. No, I don't rinse my entire lid with fresh water, but like I mentioned, I do wipe it down as part of my weekly maintenance. You also conveniently left out the picture that best represents the same breakage between gen 1 and gen 2. I will attach it.

20190921_102758.jpg

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will let the people judge for themselves, but let's give them whole story. I took the lid directly off the tank when I was about to clean the tank and didn't bother wiping down the lid like I normally do before I sent you the pictures. The third picture is layers of gorilla glue. I reached out after ALL of my corners started deteriorating and finally one corner broke. No, I don't rinse my entire lid with fresh water, but like I mentioned, I do wipe it down as part of my weekly maintenance. You also conveniently left out the picture that best represents the same breakage between gen 1 and gen 2. I will attach it.

20190921_102758.jpg
We offered you an extensive discount on a Classic lid, per you request. One that you want programmed completely differently than that of your last lid. You are welcome to take us up on this.

This may be our hobby, our passion, but it is also a business; we cannot simply give away free lids for no reason.

We are in the business of trying to keep customers happy, but we cannot afford to replace what you have mistreated.

Had you reached out when you began to have troubles and established a timeline that might have perhaps shown an issue with the product at an early stage; I would have replaced the lid, no questions. (Had that been the case) I will never know. At NO time did you EVER mention that you perform regular lid maintenance; in fact, you argued that no one ever told you that you needed to clean your lid.

As it stands, I simply cannot continue to spend my valuable time continuing this cyclical conversation with you. 31 emails, 2 brand new quotes, an entire review meeting for just your lid.... You have made your choice and we wish you the best in finding a safe cover for your livestock.

If you feel like you absolutely HAVE to continue a conversation about this with us, you know our email. If it is just another email in the same line as this, I will probably not answer, as I have proffered the best solution I can. It is a final offer.

If you feel the need to be petty and continue to be part of the problem and slander a small USA business on here; I am powerless to stop you, but I will not participate any further.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Not being petty. Just can't stand dishonesty and just want to consumers know all of the facts.

Your first email to me was IMMEDIATELY of this tone. I said I didn't RINSE my lid. You didn't ask me what maintenance I did. If maintenance requires full rinse of the lid to retain it's integrity, then so be it - no, I didn't do that. I understand you're a small business, but it's also not a cheap lid and if the lid requires extra maintenance, people should know so they don't make the same mistake that I did!

My initial order was the classic. Then someone from your company CALLED me and convinced me to go with the Tsunami because they said it was a better product..... Shorter wait time, Modular, etc. That's why I said they should have also informed me of the increased maintenance. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.

I also requested info on possibly ordering replacement pieces for the Tsunami and apparently that requires me to send back the entire lid for disassembly and reassembly + I pay for shipping costs. That's new info also.

And in the spirit of honestly (which you haven't been).... The generous discount you mentioned was 20% off base lid only - which was omitted from the initial email. The number of cutouts was exactly the same - my fish like to eat from the left side now and I wanted a little more flexibility (1/2" bigger) on my light brackets..... Guess that's a whole new design. The 31 emails included emails from my FIRST order, emails following up to get a response in the first place, and MY responses. I'm sorry it was such a pain for you to write 7 emails.

As long as you continue to lie about me, I will respond. I am not the problem.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering a lid for my 235g and came across this thread...

@ArtFully Acrylic , I have to be misunderstanding. Are you saying that the salt creep on the lid is user error and the reason for failure and no warranty replacement on @lynncgo lid?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@ArtFully Acrylic , I have to be misunderstanding. Are you saying that the salt creep on the lid is user error and the reason for failure and no warranty replacement on @lynncgo lid?

I have the same question, I have never heard of this policy nor read on their site that it cancels the warranty.... Salt creep is inevitable. I see myself wiping it down every week. If the lid is not meant to be in those conditions, shame on them.....

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same question, I have never heard of this policy nor read on their site that it cancels the warranty.... Salt creep is inevitable. I see myself wiping it down every week. If the lid is not meant to be in those conditions, shame on them.....
There's a lot of things to question with this situation, that being one of them. I'd say it's comical but I know people have outlayed hundreds on these lids and the forum reputation.

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, salt creep happens. It is the fault of no one and simply the laws of nature. However, we do have a lid maintenance page posted for all to see recommending regular maintenance. Modular lids, by their very nature, are modular, which means space for salt and other particulates (pet hair, dust, etc) to get in. When rinsed occasionally in fresh water and wiped off, this should not become a destructive issue.

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot of things to question with this situation, that being one of them. I'd say it's comical but I know people have outlayed hundreds on these lids and the forum reputation.
Without question, we routinely issue full lid re-orders whenever we have erred.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, salt creep happens. It is the fault of no one and simply the laws of nature. However, we do have a lid maintenance page posted for all to see recommending regular maintenance. Modular lids, by their very nature, are modular, which means space for salt and other particulates (pet hair, dust, etc) to get in. When rinsed occasionally in fresh water and wiped off, this should not become a destructive issue.

What is the warranty period on the lids, and is salt creep not fall under "general expected use"?

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@ArtFully Acrylic Still confused, you are saying in your responses above that you did not warranty the lid because of neglect, and then go on to say that “Efflorescence may clog the pores of porous materials, resulting in the destruction of those materials.”. Forgive me for assuming, but it sure does look like you are saying that the user neglect was salt creep (efflorescence).

If this is not right, please correct me. I truly wish to understand.

And I see nothing in your maintenance guide that says how often to clean the lid. If the lid pictured is in unacceptable condition, then this is probably
too high maintenance product for me. I don’t mean for that to sound snide, but this product does go on the top of an aquarium where salt creep tends to build up. And daily lid maintenance is not going to happen for me.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ArtFully Acrylic Still confused, you are saying in your responses above that you did not warranty the lid because of neglect, and then go on to say that “Efflorescence may clog the pores of porous materials, resulting in the destruction of those materials.”. Forgive me for assuming, but it sure does look like you are saying that the user neglect was salt creep (efflorescence).

If this is not right, please correct me. I truly wish to understand.

And I see nothing in your maintenance guide that says how often to clean the lid. If the lid pictured is in unacceptable condition, then this is probably
too high maintenance product for me. I don’t mean for that to sound snide, but this product does go on the top of an aquarium where salt creep tends to build up. And daily lid maintenance is not going to happen for me.

if salt creep causes this product failure, I would suggest going to SafeTopLids. I just submitted a quote.

I think the Artfully Acrylic design was meant to save them material and have left waste. But if it not only reduces rigidity but also has a short lifespan, I’m not interested. I do have one of their “classic” lids that has held up fine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if salt creep causes this product failure, I would suggest going to SafeTopLids. I just submitted a quote.

I think the Artfully Acrylic design was meant to save them material and have left waste. But if it not only reduces rigidity but also has a short lifespan, I’m not interested. I do have one of their “classic” lids that has held up fine.
Thanks @TheHarold i will check them out also.
I was very impressed how how strong the joint was advertised to be...it can be hammered into place, withstand lots of weight, even pull a truck. Yet salt creep can destroy the joint o_O

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I thought Safetoplids is struggling? They lost the space they used to make lids and outsource or something but it's taking months and orders are not getting filled?

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Every time I rinse the salt off of my lids (regular DIY ones) the song "Bring me to life" by Efflorescence, I mean Evanescence, gets stuck in my head.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back