My ugly stage...

hogfxstc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be taking it's sweet time. I started cycling the tank near the end of May. Once my tank was able to handle the Nh3, which was about two weeks ago, I added two snails and two hermits. I had a small patch of white fur like algae. So far they've done great so last week I added my small clown pair and small zoa. At no time during the last two weeks have I had any spike in Nh3 or nitrites. I assumed that by now I would be in the ugly phase. Is it still yet to come or am I doing something wrong?

Red Sea Test kits

20 gal
0 NH3
0 Nitrites
20 Nitrates
1.025 salinity

I've done a four weekly water changes of about 3 gals each.

Lights run 12hrs a day.

What's everyone's thoughts?
ab3faedfe5788fc3d65123566f1e6eba.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's.... that's normal? Yes
That's recoverable? :eek: Ya no worries
How on earth do you tackle that mess?! It will pass with time, if you have a balanced tank
Would a standard CuC handle that? Yes but might need a little help, as in some time. Nothing an urchin could not do in the middle of the night.
Like stated above all tanks are different and this one was just a little hairy. Stuffs gonna happen. Its how mother nature balances things out when things are not right. Over time things tend to calm down and look pretty to us. Just dont panic and start adding chemicals or a massive clean up crew, that will cause more issues.
I kinda liked that hairy tank look.

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's.... that's normal? That's recoverable? :eek:

How on earth do you tackle that mess?! Would a standard CuC handle that?
I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS

I don't know about NORMAL but I pulled out a couple chunks by hand then threw in my foxface and he ate the rest! Took him two weeks but it was ALL gone. No a normal CUC couldn't handle it haha!

Like stated above all tanks are different and this one was just a little hairy. Stuffs gonna happen. Its how mother nature balances things out when things are not right. Over time things tend to calm down and look pretty to us. Just dont panic and start adding chemicals or a massive clean up crew, that will cause more issues.
I kinda liked that hairy tank look.

Yeah at night it was super creepy! Thank God for rabbit fish!

Last edited:

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 33 27.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 26 21.7%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back