First saltwater tank

BlackCl0ud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey eveyrone hoping I could get some guidance. I’m brand new to saltwater tanks and started small. I have a 10G with a small pair of clowns and 2 Ceriths. The tank is 2 months old. It recently had this algae bloom and wanted to know if this is the normal “ugly” phase or if it’s something else. Also can anything else be added to help with the control? I weekly dose fluval enhancer with 10% water change. Nitrates are at 5ppm, Nitrites 0, Ph 8, Ammonia 0.

IMG_1007.jpeg IMG_1008.jpeg

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Looks like normal "ugly phase" to me, but more knowledgeable members will advise you better.

Since you don't yet have corals or photosynthetic organisms, you can turn your lights off, and that brown stuff will likely die right back. It will more or less run its course altogether in a few weeks. again, that's what I see, others may offer further advice.

Good luck with your 10 gallon!

Last edited:

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, what did you use for sand? Is that the CaribbSea Hawaii Black?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for the advice, I will keep the lights off and yes that’s correct for the sand. Any drawbacks with that?
I have always liked that sand, and I have four bags in storage that I haven't had a chance to use yet. I have zero issues with it, I think it looks great. I will mention that some have said that it can really scratch glass, so be extra careful, especially if if you're using a magnetic scraper near your sand bed. And some would say the grain size is a bit large/course, allowing for detritus to drop down in the sand and decay. But a lot of people have used this sand with success, and I for one think it looks great in your tank :)

OP
OP
B

BlackCl0ud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always liked that sand, and I have four bags in storage that I haven't had a chance to use yet. I have zero issues with it, I think it looks great. I will mention that some have said that it can really scratch glass, so be extra careful, especially if if you're using a magnetic scraper near your sand bed. And some would say the grain size is a bit large/course, allowing for detritus to drop down in the sand and decay. But a lot of people have used this sand with success, and I for one think it looks great in your tank
I have always liked that sand, and I have four bags in storage that I haven't had a chance to use yet. I have zero issues with it, I think it looks great. I will mention that some have said that it can really scratch glass, so be extra careful, especially if if you're using a magnetic scraper near your sand bed. And some would say the grain size is a bit large/course, allowing for detritus to drop down in the sand and decay. But a lot of people have used this sand with success, and I for one think it looks great in your tank :)
thank you for the compliment, so far it’s been good it definitely is corse and I do use a magnetic scraper so Thank you for the advice again. I went with black because I really like the contrast with corals which I’m planning to add once my tank matures a bit

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the contrast too, and I like that it's just different than most of the reef tanks you see that have the whitish sands. I think once your rocks color up, it will look even better with the black sand. I may yet use this sand in a future build as I quite like it.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats, the brownish algae on the rocks are diatoms. Perfectly natural and a usually short part of the uglies. Think of your tank as a sterile ecosystem. But your goal is a diverse and living ecosystem. So begin to think how you can turn your tank into a living reef. For instance: purchase a bag or bottle of copepods/amphipods. Also a slightly larger clean up crew which would include hermit crabs. And if your lighting is sufficient, get some soft corals to start off with. Green Star polyps, Xenias, Mushrooms etc . Your numbers look good. Keep moving forward.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey eveyrone hoping I could get some guidance. I’m brand new to saltwater tanks and started small. I have a 10G with a small pair of clowns and 2 Ceriths. The tank is 2 months old. It recently had this algae bloom and wanted to know if this is the normal “ugly” phase or if it’s something else. Also can anything else be added to help with the control? I weekly dose fluval enhancer with 10% water change. Nitrates are at 5ppm, Nitrites 0, Ph 8, Ammonia 0.

IMG_1007.jpeg IMG_1008.jpeg
Congratulations, you are experiencing normal stuff, ugly phase etc...keep us posted!!
Unwind Take It Easy GIF

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back