My Unknown Worm

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mickle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mickle

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 29, 2018
Messages
311
Reaction score
321
Location
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I decided to finally look into a worm I have had in my tank, I want to figure out what exactly it is out of curiosity (if possible). I took a video of it using a USB microscope, it looks like it eats sand? I was hoping I could get to see the end of its body but it wouldnt cooperate :( it seems like its body goes on forever! Im counting 5 tentacles(?) on its head, Im not sure what the identification factors are for polychaete worms. The usb microscope has really bad FPS so sorry bout that.
This worm is very thin, less than 1mm

Edit: Pretty sure its a beneficial Eunicid worm judging by the sand in its body

Sand in digestion tract timestamp

Full video:
 
Last edited:
Im counting 5 tentacles(?) on its head, Im not sure what the identification factors are for polychaete worms.
Tentacles are an important ID factor for polychaetes; five tentacles would indicate a Eunicid worm, but the worm eating sand is a good sign that it's most likely harmless.

So, yeah, barring clear, close up pics of the head and bristles, I'd agree with your ID, OP - likely a beneficial Eunicid.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new