My vortech mp40 can't sync guess what!!

rayliu0124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually i don't write any review or feedback, but ecotech customer support really tick me off today. First~my mp40 wetside slide off from the dryside while it was operating twice this month, one day i wasn't home for the weekend, then when i came home i saw my master wetside slide off all the way down to sit on my flower pot coral, and two days later it slide off again and making big noise. Second~ recently i am having problem to connect my two mp40 Wqd into sync mode, so i decide to contact ecotech for help. After email and phone with customer service they guide me to send both my mp40 for RMA warranty. I paid $33 UPS ground shipping and bought two Hydor wave maker off Amazon cost me another $70, and then wait for two weeks turn around to get my mp40 back. Before they mail it i even called again to double check those two mp40 can be "sync" together without any problem. After i received the mp40 i try to pair them up but getting same problem, my slave pump will not working correctly with the master pump, like power will go all the way up to 100% then down + blinking lights on the power bar, everything stay the same just like before. So i record few video email them to ecotech hope it can explain better, but they always come back to me and say we see no problem with your pump.At the end they only offer me $75 to buy another reef link, but why would i have to spend another $75 for something that i don't need, and i am truly sure my mp40 was defect but they can't fix it. Both my mp40 was purchase new last year 5/9 and 6/1 from my lfs, paid retail $349 each but now i can't warranty. I was very upset so i told customer service that i will post it on reef2reef to discuss with other people my issue, then he immediately reply me and said if "you going to do that you will void the warranty". Huh? no kidding~ but why!!! This is ridiculous and very unprofessional answer. Now i am mad so i start to argue with him and then his manager give me another offer, that's replacing my controller but not the wet or dry side, and i have to pay shipping to go through the whole process again. Story end let's see if they will see my post and void my warranty, i am very disspoint with their customer service and i don't think i will ever buy any ecotech product again~ sorry and please forget my bad English.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sliding down/off the glass is likely due to being shimmed improperly. Can you post the video of your sync issue?

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how you have mounted yours but I have 3/4 glass and have found that it's best to hang with the wire attached above.

20180119_183802.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pictures of how you have them setup would help. When you say blinking lights on the power bar, do you mean the black driver unit? If so, what colors are blinking?

jas111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like you have the part right for master slave. You are currently doing a soft reset on the pumps. Have you tried a hard reset. I had some issues with my Vectra and Ecotech sent me that soft reset procedure and that did not fix my problem. Did the hard reset everything worked. Here are the steps.

Hold Mode and Set
Hold Mode
Hold Mode and Option until controller resets.

Similar to the soft reset just the third step is different.

Like I said that worked for me when the soft reset didn't.

OP
OP
rayliu0124

rayliu0124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like you have the part right for master slave. You are currently doing a soft reset on the pumps. Have you tried a hard reset. I had some issues with my Vectra and Ecotech sent me that soft reset procedure and that did not fix my problem. Did the hard reset everything worked. Here are the steps.

Hold Mode and Set
Hold Mode
Hold Mode and Option until controller resets.

Similar to the soft reset just the third step is different.

Like I said that worked for me when the soft reset didn't.

I didn't know there is hard reset I will give it a try today thank you ~

jas111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I didn't either. Just searched on-line found a video showing the older driver but what i have found is that you use the same button. Like I said I used this on my Vectra M1 which has a QD driver on it.

Supurderek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised you didn’t get information on hard resetting your mp40s. When I had issue with mine, that was one of the first things they did. Hard reset both and then try syncing again. Wouldn’t hurt to clear master slave relationship either. Also the sliding off may be due to thickness of glass. How thick is your tank?

OP
OP
rayliu0124

rayliu0124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised you didn’t get information on hard resetting your mp40s. When I had issue with mine, that was one of the first things they did. Hard reset both and then try syncing again. Wouldn’t hurt to clear master slave relationship either. Also the sliding off may be due to thickness of glass. How thick is your tank?

red sea reefer 350 and i put spacer in between had it almost one year without any problem only start early this month, and ecotach did not tell me anything about hard reset either.

OP
OP
rayliu0124

rayliu0124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should just sell one mp40 and go with the maxspect gyre. Did any one use the same set up? One mp40 with fx230? But I also have tank cover so don't know what to do with that wire...

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually i don't write any review or feedback, but ecotech customer support really **** me off today. First~my mp40 wetside slide off from the dryside while it was operating twice this month, one day i wasn't home for the weekend, then when i came home i saw my master wetside slide off all the way down to sit on my flower pot coral, and two days later it slide off again and making big noise. Second~ recently i am having problem to connect my two mp40 Wqd into sync mode, so i decide to contact ecotech for help. After email and phone with customer service they guide me to send both my mp40 for RMA warranty. I paid $33 UPS ground shipping and bought two Hydor wave maker off Amazon cost me another $70, and then wait for two weeks turn around to get my mp40 back. Before they mail it i even called again to double check those two mp40 can be "sync" together without any problem. After i received the mp40 i try to pair them up but getting same problem, my slave pump will not working correctly with the master pump, like power will go all the way up to 100% then down + blinking lights on the power bar, everything stay the same just like before. So i record few video email them to ecotech hope it can explain better, but they always come back to me and say we see no problem with your pump.At the end they only offer me $75 to buy another reef link, but why would i have to spend another $75 for something that i don't need, and i am truly sure my mp40 was defect but they can't fix it. Both my mp40 was purchase new last year 5/9 and 6/1 from my lfs, paid retail $349 each but now i can't warranty. I was very upset so i told customer service that i will post it on reef2reef to discuss with other people my issue, then he immediately reply me and said if "you going to do that you will void the warranty". Huh? no kidding~ but why!!! This is ridiculous and very unprofessional answer. Now i am mad so i start to argue with him and then his manager give me another offer, that's replacing my controller but not the wet or dry side, and i have to pay shipping to go through the whole process again. Story end let's see if they will see my post and void my warranty, i am very disspoint with their customer service and i don't think i will ever buy any ecotech product again~ sorry and please forget my bad English.

I understand your pain! My MP40 has detached at least a dozen times within the first year I owned it. I thought their customer service was good, but the MP40 I have is certainly faulty. I had to send back 3 times. First time, the power supply/brick failed. Second time had the dry side replaced. Third time had the wet side replaced. Only time will tell if it detaches again. One time I was home when it detached and it makes loud buzzing knocking sounds. I’ve tried both of the smaller spacers, the gasket and the thin spacer. It has detached on both. My glass is 6mm. Sorry about your experiences.

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's strange that you're having the wet side detach. When running or when off I have a pretty difficult time separating the wet side from the glass - I actually have to pull/tug on it pretty good. If I remove the dry side it's easier to remove the wet side but still not super easy.

Did you make sure where you are installing the wet side is nice and clean/smooth? I know it's the magnets that hold it in place initially but even if you remove the dry side - the wet side should stay where it is in my experience - at least that's how it was with my MP10s and both of my MP40s.

I'm running two MP40's on my Red Sea Reefer XL 425 - my glass is 1/2" [12mm].

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's strange that you're having the wet side detach. When running or when off I have a pretty difficult time separating the wet side from the glass - I actually have to pull/tug on it pretty good. If I remove the dry side it's easier to remove the wet side but still not super easy.

Did you make sure where you are installing the wet side is nice and clean/smooth? I know it's the magnets that hold it in place initially but even if you remove the dry side - the wet side should stay where it is in my experience - at least that's how it was with my MP10s and both of my MP40s.

I'm running two MP40's on my Red Sea Reefer XL 425 - my glass is 1/2" [12mm].

Really weird that they are detaching. I run 4 mp40qd’s on a reefer 750 with 3/4” glass and they have never fallen off.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back