my water# are off. what should I do?

rarelyseriousb

give a pound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Kh is 16. Calcium is 350. the rest of the test were good. I dont have a mag test but That may be low (just a hunch). I Dont know how I should balance my KH and Calcium. I have MS. Wiggis pickling lime. I also have purple up. And I have Bulk reef supply's 2 part solutions. I don't know what I should do. Or what products. I need a quick fix and then a long term solution. I cant decide between kalk or a 2 part doser. my tank does not have High cal or kh demands. I have mostly zoa and a few sps. My zoas growth has slower lately.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? If it's less than 100 gal. you can water change the problem away. Do 25% water changes every day for a week and things should get back to normal.

What salt are you using? If Reef Crystals, your Mg will be low.

Once you get things stabilized, you just need to decide what method you want to use to provide Ca and to maintain alkalinity. Then figure out how to use whatever method you choose to get the levels you need and stick with that method consistently, i.e., don't experiment and keep that Purple Up in its bottle. If your Ca, alk, and Mg are at proper levels, you'll get the coralline algae you desire.

I have a 65 and a 40 and use B-Ionic two-part. I figured out how much to add every day and my levels stay stable and have for years. I periodically add some Mg. I also do 25% water changes weekly to maintain the other trace elements.

If your tank is larger than 100 gal., I"ll step back and let the "big tank guys" help you.

Gary

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no knowledge of that salt so can't comment. If it's good salt, daily water changes for a week should correct your levels. Unless you already have some type of system for adding calcium/maintaining alkalinity, consider using a two-part system. For your 50 gal, it will be easy to use and rather inexpensive. My 65 gets 80 ml of each B-Ionic component daily and my 40 breeder gets 50 ml. The amounts varies by how many corals you have and how large they are. You just have to test daily until you figure out what keeps your alk and Ca at the proper levels and then keep adding that much daily. As you add more corals and the existing corals grow, the demand will increase but periodic testing will show that levels are dropping off, meaning you need to increase what you add each day. The key is consistency.
Gary

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep your Ca and Alk balanced, it'll help maintain pH. Alk is your tanks ability to buffer and this maintains ph.

OP
OP
rarelyseriousb

rarelyseriousb

give a pound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks guys. Im still trying to rap my head around the chemistry. So I should start doing water changes over just putting calcium in the tank? I just picked up 30 gallons of water I just need to pick up more get tanked salt. I have enough to do 10 gallons of salt right now.

Dihydrogen Monoxide

Deliquescent Reefkeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok some info there :)

Based on the levels that you have posted your Magnesium levels should be fine (dependant on the last dose of your 2 part, as well as the test kits you are using).

The alkalinity is the waters ability to resist pH swing and its measure is the measure to change the pH to a final of ~4.2. Adding the 2 part alkalinity suppliment if when added to the water gives you the "white cloud" will aid in maintaning the pH as the suppliment itself has a realtively high pH. So it by itself will raise the pH.

The treatment for your tank is for now is to not dose any equally balanced suppliment (kalkwassar, 2 part, calcium reactor, etc.) From there you need to wait for the Alkalinity to drop to appx 12 dKH. In the meantime you are going to want to dose just the Calcium component of the 2 part suppliment alone. You are going to want to dose very small ammounts ~ 5mL every other day until the Alk drops to an acceptable range.

Throw out the purple up, it is a bonded calcium carbonate slurry. Meaning that the bond between the Ca and the carbonate/bicarbonate will not be broken via addition to a reef tank with a pH at or near NSW levels. Its addition has minimal effects on the tank about the same as adding pure Calcium Carbonate sand to an established tank ;)

H2O

Last edited:
OP
OP
rarelyseriousb

rarelyseriousb

give a pound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh ok thanks for the info. I will do this. but I also plan on doing a water change every 3 to 5 days also. also im going to need to get a magnesium test kit one of these days. I am using the salifert test kits.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2O offers another method that could work. I suggested changing water because doing so will get things equalized while providing the added benefit of improving your overall water quality. I'm not a big fan of adding one component of a two-part system or unequal amounts of both components. I've seen too many people make things worse by doing so. I prefer getting your water parameters stabilized then adding equal amounts of two part to maintain that stability. One of the advantages of small tanks is that you can fix many water problems simply by doing a series of water changes. With larger tanks, it's not so practical.

Yes, once you get your alk and Ca in balance, pH will basically take care of itself.

However, I should be clear that H2O's suggestion will also work. Just make sure you're testing your water with reliable test kits.

Gary

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also suggest that, money permitting, you get your own RO/DI filtration unit so you can have your own water supply at home and mix your own saltwater. That will give you full control over your water quality. The initial cost of a unit might be a bit of a hit, but spread over several years, it's actually quite minimal. Also, factor in your time, gas, and the hassle of dealing with multiple 5-gal. jugs. If you have water on hand all of the time, you'll also be more willing/likely to do water changes.
Gary

OP
OP
rarelyseriousb

rarelyseriousb

give a pound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks gpar. its on the list. I should have caught this sooner but I got laxed in my testing. the test kits are salifert. I think im going to do a combo of water and Cal to fix this. I have just started to use this salt but I have heard nuthung but good things. But since it is new I dont want to change to much to quickley. I should have tested the water before I changed salt as to see what effect it is having on my tank but I was to lazy. It seems everytime in this hoby when you start to get a little high on your hoarse there is something to put you in your place. And about the RODI I was thinking of using this http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...&Product_Code=KATIANI02&Category_Code=katiani.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back